Realistic Grad School Admission Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patabek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly hate to be that person that posts their grades and GPA on one of these forums expecting people to give me a "yes" or "no" answer, but after much research I am still clueless about where I stand in the whole admissions process. My college academic adviser has not been very helpful giving me straight answers and overall does not seem very knowledgeable about the various Audiology programs so I thought this forum post may provide me with a better idea where I stand. With all that said, I am attending Penn State, UPark as a Communication Sciences and Disorders major and currently maintaining a 3.6 GPA. I know that it is hard to provide completely accurate answer without including my extracurricular activities, but I was wondering if the follow schools were realistic Grad School options and if there are programs anyone thinks would be better to apply to.

AuD Schools:

UNC- Chapel Hill
University of Washington
Northwestern
Ohio State
University of Maryland

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

If you check out the ASHA EdFind website each program has statistics listed regarding average GPA, GRE scores, number of applicants, etc. Generally a good candidate has a well-rounded resume documenting their experiences relating to audiology and volunteering. Don't doubt yourself!

Not super helpful, but I know UNC is super difficult to get into. A school you might want to consider is James Madison University, they have competitive admissions, but they really look at the whole person, so your essay and your interview (if you get one) are HUGE factors. They are really aiming for a class that works well together. I just graduated undergrad there a month ago, so I know quite a bit about the program ;).

Apply broadly, and you will get in somewhere. 3.6+, comm dis undergrad is norm for %90 of applicants. Have you personal statement edited professionally, i rec dlaeditors.com. The personal statement is really what sets you aside from other applicants. I would apply to a few more schools, to have a "safety"