MD & DO Realistically what are my chances 23 mcat 3.8 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nolegirlxx54321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
biology major at a good university
High gpa and science gpa
Research experience
Hospital internship
Tons of volunteering in health setting
Excellent LORs
Biology TA
****ty mcat score.

What am I looking at here......

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
nearly 100% chance of getting at least 1 DO acceptance if you apply early and broadly to 20-25 schools.

Do not apply to: Touro's, Midwestern's, KCUMB, or Western's.

Last edited:
nearly 100% chance of getting at least 1 DO acceptance if you apply early and broadly to 20-25 schools.

Do not apply to: Touro's, Midwestern's, or Western's.

Why not those? Sorry I don't know much about west coast schools

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you study for the MCAT? Honestly I would consider taking the new MCAT to open up your options. Why work so hard and get a 3.8 to just ruin it with an MCAT like that? Sorry if that is harsh. I'm just saying you could apply to some DO schools early in the process and take the new MCAT and apply to other places once you get your new and improved score? Just an idea!

You are an ideal candidate for a MCAT retake. We have a forum for this. Having a high MCAT and a low GPA is indicative of being a poor standardized test taker or forgetting the info you learn after you learn it. The MCAT may seem like the ultimate exam by pre-med standards, but it's a mouse compared to the elephant we call the boards. If you can't handle the MCAT, you can't handle the exams that you have to take to become a licensed, practicing doctor, and med school would be a huge waste of time and money for you if that were the end result.

Reactions: 1 user
You are an ideal candidate for a MCAT retake. We have a forum for this. Having a high MCAT and a low GPA is indicative of being a poor standardized test taker or forgetting the info you learn after you learn it. The MCAT may seem like the ultimate exam by pre-med standards, but it's a mouse compared to the elephant we call the boards. If you can't handle the MCAT, you can't handle the exams that you have to take to become a licensed, practicing doctor, and med school would be a huge waste of time and money for you if that were the end result.

why retake and risk going DOWN when their current profile nearly guarantees them an acceptance somewhere? bird in the hand.

Last edited:
yeah I would 100% retake if it was the old mcat, because I know what I needed to fix.

Last edited:
Your college career doesn't prepare you for the MCAT. This is a misconception that results in people getting subpar scores.

You need to buy specific test prep material and practice with that. We have a MCAT forum that helped me achieve the score of my dreams: it could do the same for you.

Wow I have the exact same stats and almost the same experience as you. > < I've been quite frustrated lately because of this, but I'm still gonna keep my hopes up. I guess it's good to know there's someone in the same boat as mine. Good luck to you as well!

Reactions: 1 user
yeah I would 100% retake if it was the old mcat, because I know what I needed to fix. However, I'm not willing to gamble on this new one when I'm not as prepared for it/don't know what to expect because my whole college career was spent to prepare me for the old one. So yeah...... thats why no retake. I'm not in the position too, or do I want to take the time to. My best bet is to work with what I have.

Honestly, if you thought college was preparing you, no wonder you got a 23. The MCAT is the type of test you have to prepare for specifically. I didn't even know the MCAT was changing until I found my way back to these forums, but I think you should consider taking some time to prepare for the new format and then re-take. Why, exactly, don't you want to take the time? Is it really worth it to rush to get your application in with one aspect so cripplingly bad??