Realistically what's the lowest MCAT you can get with a good GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

ratman7

If an applicant has a 3.8+, good clinical volunteer, non clinical volunteer, research, leadership, and solid everywhere else...

What is the lowest MCAT s/he can receive that will allow admission to a mid-to-upper level MD school?
What's the lowest MCAT they can get (with a 3.8+ and everything else solid) in order to get into at least a low tier MD?

(realistically speaking)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend from a not top 100 university with a 3.8 GPA, 28 MCAT at Georgetown.
I have another friend (non trad with doctorate) with < 3.4 GPA, 28MCAT get in at a top new england school (not harvard or yale, but very good). Just do the best you can, and apply to a good mix of schools.

Friend of mine just got into a private MD with a 3.9 and 28 MCAT. About 100 hours service 100 hours research with no publications. White male.

Members don't see this ad :)
28 is probably the absolute lowest mcat score that you would want to still have a shot at getting into MD schools. Of course it depends on the other factors of your application too.

Statistically, with a 3.8 and a 27 MCAT, you have about a 50% chance of at least once acceptance to an MD school. But keep in mind that these numbers are skewed by people with low GPAs and MCATs who got into state schools with strong in-state biases, are URMs, or are exceptional in some other way.

Aim for 30+ and you'll be good to go.

See: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...with-your-cgpa-and-mcat.888650/#post-12107997

If an applicant has a 3.8+, good clinical volunteer, non clinical volunteer, research, leadership, and solid everywhere else...

What is the lowest MCAT s/he can receive that will allow admission to a mid-to-upper level MD school?
What's the lowest MCAT they can get (with a 3.8+ and everything else solid) in order to get into at least a low tier MD?

(realistically speaking)

mid-to-upper? Probably 31+
lower? 28+

I have an interview at Harvard. GPA 3.9 and MCAT 12

Reactions: 8 users
my guess: If you're an upper-middle class, white, traditional student with sufficient, but not exceptional ECs.....I think 28-29 is the lower limit. It could be a tad lower if you have a compelling story, are URM, a veteran, or have some other significant life experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
For whites and Asians, the lower limit is 28. You could probably get by with a 27 if you had really cool ECs.

During interviewing I've met ORM with as low as 26 and URM with 23. Both cases have incredible ECs, you have to make up for it and be near perfect everywhere else!

MSAR Online can give you an idea.

Look at the 10-90%iles. 10% is the effective floor, but,s ay 3-4 points below the schools median being a realistic floor.

So for NYU, whose median MCAT is 36, I tell people with a 34 that they're in striking distance, but I do not advise people with a 33 to apply there, unless that have something killer in their app.

For low tier schools, 27-29 is the effective score, and 30 is the realistic floor.

(realistically speaking)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Look at the 10-90%iles. 10% is the effective floor, but,s ay 3-4 points below the schools median being a realistic floor.

So for NYU, whose median MCAT is 36, I tell people with a 34 that they're in striking distance, but I do not advise people with a 33 to apply there, unless that have something killer in their app.

For low tier schools, 27-29 is the effective score, and 30 is the realistic floor.

When is the best time to invest in the MSAR? (how many months before you start submitting your apps?)

People talked about their MCAT/GPA with you during their interview?
Lol some people just randomly started talking to me on the side and volunteer it (I don't ask cause 1 Idc and 2 even if I cared I don't want people asking for mine). Usually they were reapplicants/overcame something or just found me really friendly and I guess were interested in sharing. I'd say at least one person each interview haha. Especially since some interviewees I actually went to eat with them or something after the interview so I had more time to talk!

Lol some people just randomly started talking to me on the side and volunteer it (I don't ask cause 1 Idc and 2 even if I cared I don't want people asking for mine). Usually they were reapplicants/overcame something or just found me really friendly and I guess were interested in sharing. I'd say at least one person each interview haha. Especially since some interviewees I actually went to eat with them or something after the interview so I had more time to talk!

Most of the people I interviewed with when I applied mostly kept to themselves. It's interesting people would volunteer low GPA/MCAT during the interviewing stage.

Most of the people I interviewed with when I applied mostly kept to themselves. It's interesting people would volunteer low GPA/MCAT during the interviewing stage.
Yeah ironically enough the few people who talked about it were on the low end and not the other way around. It's shown me a lot more how holistic the process is!

(realistically speaking)

Realistically speaking, you should aim for the highest score possible. The whole "I just wanna pass" doesn't work that well especially when you realize that the test was harder than you expected.

I'm a nontrad paramedic with a 3.9 GPA and 26 MCAT. Since my application was already verified and paid for by the time I got my MCAT score back, I went for it. I received a whole lot of DO love, 1 MD waitlist, and 1 MD acceptance. I would not recommend leaning on the rest of your application to make up for a sucky MCAT, but I'm proof it can happen.

Google AAMC Table 25. Choose the table that best reflects your race/ethnicity.

Do keep in mind that some adcoms will interprete a high GPA/low-ish MCAT of indicative of grade inflation or a weak course schedule/course load and judge accordingly.

For an ungodly expensive school like NYU, that's good advice.

The one exception to such a rule though would be in you're in state for a public school that may be out of your range (Michigan, UCLA, etc). It's going to be worth a shot to try. The 100 bucks or so you'd end up blowing will be peanuts compared to the thousands in tuition you'd save in the off chance you wow an ADCOM and find your way in.

Except for the UC system, I agree with you. State schools tend to favor the home team.

For an ungodly expensive school like NYU, that's good advice.

The one exception to such a rule though would be in you're in state for a public school that may be out of your range (Michigan, UCLA, etc). It's going to be worth a shot to try. The 100 bucks or so you'd end up blowing will be peanuts compared to the thousands in tuition you'd save in the off chance you wow an ADCOM and find your way in.

The lowest MCAT you can get away with is the highest score you can get.

Or poor test taking skills.

Do keep in mind that some adcoms will interprete a high GPA/low-ish MCAT of indicative of grade inflation or a weak course schedule/course load and judge accordingly.