Realized What I Want To Do With My Life Pretty Late In The Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverNemo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, bare with me while I share with you just what exactly my story is.

Currently I am a Junior in my undergrad career. I am a Psychology/Biology double major and minoring in chem as well. My first year of undergrad I considered myself a pre-med student and then my sophomore year I switched to pre-dentistry. Ever since taking AP psych in high school, I had always found psychology fascinating. That's why I decided to double major in it because I genuinely loved to learn about. But I always just thought that my interest in the field was simply something that I liked to do, and I never seriously considered making a career out of it.
I come from a family that has always struggled financially, so even when I would play with the notion of become a psychologist, many people would often tell me that psychologists don't make very good money. And coming from a family that always had (and still is) financially struggling, that was a major turn off for me.
Anyway, I just began this past summer really digging into my psych courses and I also took a bio course called Mammalian physiology. I was enamored with the nervous system chapter and it was most definitely my best section in that entire course.
So finally, lately, I think this has a lot to do with me simply finally maturing, I decided to really sit down and do some serious research of professionals in the field of psychology. I want to apply to masters of PhD programs and concentrate on hopefully one day become a neuropsychologist.
Now the problem, my overall GPA as of now is around a 3.01. My psychology courses GPA is actually around a 3.7, it's my chemistry that really took me down.

If I work really hard to improve my overall GPA and continue to do well in my Psych courses, could I apply to a Masters program or even (I know this is ambitious) a PhD or PsyD program my senior year. I know applications are due are December (right?) my senior year, and if all goes well, my overall GPA should rise to ~3.4-3.5. And I also have yet to take GREs too.

What should I do everyone? Advice? Anything?

Sorry for the long post, but thank you all in advance as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.