Realizing I probably don’t want MD/PhD halfway through this application cycle…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noMoreMDPhDapplicant

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Posting with a throwaway for obvious reasons)

Applied to 25+ MD/PhD programs broadly. Got 13 II’s (11 MD/PhD, 2 MD-only) so far, including several at Top 20. Attended 5 MD/PhD and 2 MD-only interviews, and got 6 more MD/PhD interviews coming up. One acceptance at a safety MD/PhD. 4 pre-interview rejections and 1 post-interview WL.

My previous research was not really in basic science, and I am getting sick of all the basic science talk during my interviews. I just do not like the vibe of these interviews. Well, I did enjoy the conversations at the schools that would be a good “fit” for me in terms of research interests, but that was only like 2 schools so far. Hence, at this point, I am not sure if I will enjoy spending another 4+ years doing full-time research. I also realize that I probably want to do more of clinical / translational research than basic science. I might be just burned out with all these interviews, but I am realizing that I would be completely fine pursuing MD-only.

I know I should’ve done more research/soul-searching on what I was trying to get into, but things happened, and now I need to find out options for me. Should I switch all my remaining applications to MD, even at the places I already had MD/PhD interviews? Should I ask the school that accepted me to transfer me to the MD program, or should I just get two years of free tuition? (I would not like to do this by any means, but the tuition money is nothing to sneeze at. Also, who knows, I might switch my mind again) Should I just wait out and see where I get accepted by April, and see what the schools can suggest by talking to them? But this way wouldn’t I hurt my chances for MD and give them an impression that I am not interested in their program or trying to quit (which is kinda true, but wouldn’t do any good for my application, right?).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be detrimental to say you changed your mind at any of the programs where you have interviewed or received interview invitations. It is in your best interest to keep your applications as they are. It's possible that an MD/PhD program could rescind an acceptance if you told them you weren't going to be part of their program prior to matriculation (although I'm not sure how likely this would be).

Decide where you want to go to school with the fact that you are likely not going to complete the PhD (eg: if there are similar schools with widely disparate tuitions, strongly consider the cheaper school & don't go to a school with a payback clause).

There is no advantage to dropping out of the MD/PhD program (and continuing the MD portion by itself) before you begin, so you might as well stay in the MD/PhD program at first. (It's hard for me to imagine someone who would have zero regretful thoughts about dropping the PhD before even starting school- but if this is you, you can simply matriculate to the MD program).

You may change your mind at any point in first year, 2nd year, right after you start graduate school, or you may decide to stick it out- it is likely your research interests will change a bit with some medical school behind you. You should discuss resigning from the MD/PhD program as soon as you are very certain you do not want to not pursue the PhD. The MD/PhD program has an interest in keeping you in the program, so you should be steadfast in whatever decisions you make and have good justifications for quitting (eg: I no longer have the drive to be successful in graduate school).

Last edited:
It would be detrimental to say you changed your mind at any of the programs where you have interviewed or received interview invitations. It is in your best interest to keep your applications as they are.

Decide where you want to go to school with the fact that you are likely not going to complete the PhD (eg: if there are similar schools with widely disparate tuitions, strongly consider the cheaper school & don't go to a school with a payback clause).

There is no advantage to dropping out of the MD/PhD program (and continuing the MD portion by itself) before you begin, so you might as well stay in the MD/PhD program at first. (It's hard for me to imaging someone who would have zero regretful thoughts about dropping the PhD before even starting school- but if this is you, you can simply matriculate to the MD program).

You may change your mind at any point in first year, 2nd year, right after you start graduate school, or you may decide to stick it out- it is likely your research interests will change a bit with some medical school behind you. You should discuss resigning from the MD/PhD program as soon as you are very certain you do not want to not pursue the PhD. The MD/PhD program has an interest in keeping you in the program, so you should be very steadfast in whatever decisions you make and have good justifications for quitting (eg: I no longer have the drive to be successful in graduate school). Also, nobody is going to force you to do whatever you mean by 'basic science' (physics, chemistry, molecular biology?).

Thank you so much for your insight. The only reason I thought about switching my applications to MD was that staying in for MD/PhD could hurt my chances for MD-only.
I still have not heard anything back from ~10 schools - Would you suggest switching my application at those places? I am thinking my chance of getting an MD/PhD II is slim at those schools anyways at this point, and I want to maximize my chances for MD. But if that won't make much difference I guess I can let them transfer my application to MD once they stop considering me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your insight. The only reason I thought about switching my applications to MD was that staying in for MD/PhD could hurt my chances for MD-only.
I still have not heard anything back from ~10 schools - Would you suggest switching my application at those places? I am thinking my chance of getting an MD/PhD II is slim at those schools anyways at this point, and I want to maximize my chances for MD. But if that won't make much difference I guess I can let them transfer my application to MD once they stop considering me.

It depends when those schools reviewed applications. I'm sure most if not all of those schools have already sent out interview invitations for MD-only, although they certainly could send out more. I still think your odds would be better for MD/PhD at those programs given that even if the MD/PhD program rejects you (when you find out), you could request to be considered for MD-only (if they haven't offered you MD-only at that point already).

Switching to MD-only also could pose problems depending on what your personal statement/rec letters say (how research vs clinical focused they are, how often they mention a PhD).

Maybe you are just overwhelmed with interviews... I doubt that you would have made the decision to apply to MD/PhDs without having been firmly decided on it and having the support of your referees. I would also suggest that you don't make any big changes now as it will reflect badly on you, and as mentioned, if you switch your applications to MD you will be significantly late for most programs and hurt your chances.

MD/PhD is by no means intended purely for basic science, you can do whatever research you please. I think the majority of students are interested in basic science and that is why you might've heard that thrown around a lot at interviews.

The key questions you have to ask yourself are 1) do you want/need to do a PhD (do you need that extensive experience to run your own lab) and 2) do you want to commit the majority of your career to research. Although it is true that you can run a lab as an MD and also commit most of your time to research, the value of PhD training in preparing you for doing effective research should not be underestimated, and it will give you a significant advantage throughout your career.

Another major warning: if you just have an undergrad research experience, your interests are likely to change as you start med school and become more aware of other fields. You might be limiting yourself thinking that clinical/translational research is the only thing that will satisfy you or is useful. I used to be hell-bent on "translational research" and didn't even know the field I am interested in now existed when I was in undergrad...

Keep in mind that you have significantly more IIs than a lot of us. Adcoms have done this for years and would not have chosen you if they didn't believe you were right for it so believe in yourself!