Realizing I probably had an IA that I didn't report.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugger4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my freshman year back in 2011, my roommate and I were caught with alcohol in our dorm room. I never met with student conduct or anything about the incident, the RA just confiscated the alcohol and we had our visitation rights taken away for a month. Didn't even think about this incident when I filled out my AMCAS and now I'm starting to see that this was more than likely an IA. Should I email the schools I applied to about it? I mean, they probably already know that it happened. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Was any official action taken? Is there a paper trail following this alleged IA? If it was just verbal reprimand I wouldn't worry about it one bit.

Reactions: 1 users
The schools do not already know about it. They're not going to contact the undergrad of all the thousands of their applicants to get a disciplinary record. Now, if they accept you, then many schools will do just that.

First step is to contact your Dean of Students office and specifically ask if this is something that'll be reported to other schools upon request.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay cool. I'm not sure if there was a report turned in or not. I'll contact the non academic student conduct to see if they have record of it.

That sounds so ridiculously minor. The schools you applied to don't know about it, and probably never will unless you tell them.

When I think IA, I think about probation or expulsion. I think failing a class for cheating. Academic matters. Had beer in the dorm? Dumb, but not IA. Probably not in your permanent record either.

Being an RA must be pretty sweet. Lots of free beer, just for putting a little scare into the freshmen.

That sounds so ridiculously minor. The schools you applied to don't know about it, and probably never will unless you tell them.

When I think IA, I think about probation or expulsion. I think failing a class for cheating. Academic matters. Had beer in the dorm? Dumb, but not IA. Probably not in your permanent record either.

Being an RA must be pretty sweet. Lots of free beer, just for putting a little scare into the freshmen.
Actually, I would estimate that most IA's are ETOH related. You are right that a single offense (beer in dorm) has little effect on an application, but the failure to report can be a deal breaker.

Actually, I would estimate that most IA's are ETOH related. You are right that a single offense (beer in dorm) has little effect on an application, but the failure to report can be a deal breaker.
So do I need to notify the schools to make sure I avoid such a deal breaker or??

No. Don't notify ANYONE until you've confirmed whether there is actually an IA on your record. At my undergrad, these things were filed under the department of resident life (to determine your lottery position for housing next year) and were not on your school record or an IA. Likely yours was not either, but make sure.

Last edited:

Almost all of the (few) IA's we see at the interview level are alcohol related, and almost all of those are during the freshman year. A couple marijuana ones here and there, also typically during freshman year. Someone with documented violence towards others, cheating, academic probation, etc will most likely not make it to interview stage.

Reactions: 2 users
My $0.02, let the schools know. I remember continuously going back-and-forth about reporting an incident I had freshman year (a similar situation to yours) because I wasn't sure if it exactly fit as an IA on my housing record or academic record or whatever other super-secret records the school holds. I finally realized that if I wasn't sure, it was best to disclose it anyways to be safe, because the fact was that I had done something wrong enough that warranted all of this searching different records.

Long story short, I was honest and am now sitting with two acceptances. Minor things won't keep you out, but you have to show an ability to take responsibility for mistakes. One of my interviewers went as far to tell me that she thought my transparency around the issue made me a better candidate, as it showed that I am able to make mistakes and not let it define myself as a person.

Last edited:

Last edited: