Really discouraged.. could use some objective advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it possible you still made a C with your other exams factored in plus a curve?
I doubt it, I needed a 67 on the final to make a C in the class. With the curve, I made a 30 on it. I'd have been better off spending those hours of studying doing other stuff and Christmas treeing the whole scan tron. I talk to him this afternoon so I'll see where I stand, but according to my calculations, I'll be coming out with a 56% in the class :cryi:

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it, I needed a 67 on the final to make a C in the class. With the curve, I made a 30 on it. I'd have been better off spending those hours of studying doing other stuff and Christmas treeing the whole scan tron. I talk to him this afternoon so I'll see where I stand, but according to my calculations, I'll be coming out with a 56% in the class :cryi:

Maybe he'll have some kind of good news at your meeting. Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a physics class with multiple choice tests.

The right answer only counted as right if you showed your work and the wrong answers were wrong regardless if you had most of it right...

No partial credit for your work.

Yep failed that class and took some time off...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I just talked with him, I really did do that badly. I misread 2 of the questions. I have an F in the course, but he said he will give me a D so that i at least pass. He was very nice and offered some suggestions for the next time around. The good news is that if I retake it at UGA, my lab grade will be saved, the bad news is that it's still another 8 grand.

Sorry you did not do so well on the exam. Good that you talked to the prof and so glad to hear that you have options, although it may cost a **** ton of $$. If I were you, if they replace the grade, and you feel certain you'll rock it next time, I'd go for it and pay now, get it over with and move on with life. My 2 cents:)

A scantron physics tests? WTF?

Sounds like the teacher is a lazy grader.
Physics at Michigan State is scantron as well. A-J, to be specific. All possibly answers if you screwed up one step of the problem......
As was biochem, some genetics....I digress.

@lhmhtd I'm sorry physics kicked your butt :( It IS a tough class. If it makes you feel any better, my class was graded on an INSANE curve because the fail rate was so high. Everyone has given great advice. I'm also leaning towards you possibly having goofed up on your scantron. You studied hard and said you can do the problems outside of a testing situation (you're not alone....I understand physics [sorta] as well, but 50 minutes for a 35 question physics test? Forget about it.). Let us know how your meeting with your prof goes. I'm hoping he has suggestions for you that aren't just "Oh, you need to study harder." Especially since you did well in other portions of the class.

Well I just talked with him, I really did do that badly. I misread 2 of the questions. I have an F in the course, but he said he will give me a D so that i at least pass. He was very nice and offered some suggestions for the next time around. The good news is that if I retake it at UGA, my lab grade will be saved, the bad news is that it's still another 8 grand.
Sorry, didn't see that you had the meeting already. Might I suggest taking physics online? Michigan State has Physics I and II online for WAY cheaper and most students do pretty well.

Their website says they don't accept pre reqs that have been taken online unless you get it approved- I could certainly look into the process for getting it approved.

So now my dilemma is:
Do I retake physics 1 and take physics 2 next semester? I talked with the admissions office and there are no exceptions to the spring deadline. In theory, this is possible. Part of me wants to just get it over with; the other part of me would rather play in traffic than take two physics courses simultaneously.

Or do I withdraw my app, throwing away $250, hours of personal statement writing/editing, and wasting the time of the four people who wrote me LOR. On the other hand, this would mean I could find a decent job and work for the next year, taking a break from school. I will have my BS, so finding a job that pays more than $9 an hour might be possible.

I am really not sure what to do at this point.

So now my dilemma is:
Do I retake physics 1 and take physics 2 next semester? I talked with the admissions office and there are no exceptions to the spring deadline. In theory, this is possible. Part of me wants to just get it over with; the other part of me would rather play in traffic than take two physics courses simultaneously.

Or do I withdraw my app, throwing away $250, hours of personal statement writing/editing, and wasting the time of the four people who wrote me LOR. On the other hand, this would mean I could find a decent job and work for the next year, taking a break from school. I will have my BS, so finding a job that pays more than $9 an hour might be possible.

Why not take physics at the local community college? You will save a huge amount of money..

Reactions: 2 users
Why not take physics at the local community college? You will save a huge amount of money..
That is where I think I'll take both physics. There is no grade replacement at UGA apparently. I just don't know if I should tackle both at the same time next semester. I had thought of signing up to take both at the local cc and since decisions are sent out in Feb/early March, I could always drop one of them if I don't get accepted. In trying to be logical and not emotional about everything but I can't be objective about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
So now my dilemma is:

Kinda a bummer, but really you're best positioned to answer the question.

The pro of taking them both next semester is obvious. If you get accepted into vet school, you can go next fall.

But you don't really know that you're going to get accepted, so it's not a safe assumption. Do you have an objective sense of how strong your application is? Slam dunk? Maybe good 'nuff but not sure? A long shot?

The con to taking both next semester is equally obvious: you might be biting off more than you can chew (and currently - honestly don't mean this to sound asshat-like - the evidence is that it's more than you can chew). So with regard to that consideration, you have to make a really honest and objective call: Do you think you understand why you failed this last semester and what it would take to be successful? And then, can you apply that to two physics classes at the same time so that you can get at least a C in each?

The pro to waiting is that you get more time to figure things out, and, by taking the classes separately you'll presumably have a better shot at a higher grade in each class. It's a chance to work hard and kick physics in the ass, have a little fun in life, make a bit of money to help you in vet school, gain some more experience, make some more contacts in vet med, make your application even better than it is now.... lots of opportunity in there that might not be obvious.

The con to waiting is ..... waiting. Which is more of an emotional thing than anything. Once you make up your mind to do something, nobody likes to feel sidetracked.

The one thing I would say specifically is that you shouldn't feel like you wasted the time of the four people who wrote you eLORs. If you decide to wait, just let them know and ask them to save a copy of the letter if they're willing to submit it next year. From their perspective it shouldn't be a big deal. It wouldn't be to me, anyway, in their shoes.

With regard to the "sign up for both and maybe drop one based on the application outcome" .... I see the point - trying to maximize your opportunity ... but crap. If you're going to go that route, just commit yourself mentally to doing it well and finish out the semester whether you get accepted or not. Then you'll be done and can move on with life while you wait for another application cycle (if necessary).

I dunno. The thing that I find super positive is that you're doing the things necessary to figure it out. You talked to the prof. You looked for objective feedback from other people and aren't shying away from a tough decision. You aren't blaming the prof (I'm sick of people griping about how it's only the prof's fault that they got a poor grade in something.). So you're taking responsibility.

For my money, that says you'll do well no matter what you decide to do. I think you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
That is where I think I'll take both physics. There is no grade replacement at UGA apparently. I just don't know if I should tackle both at the same time next semester. I had thought of signing up to take both at the local cc and since decisions are sent out in Feb/early March, I could always drop one of them if I don't get accepted. In trying to be logical and not emotional about everything but I can't be objective about this.
If you are only taking those 2 classes, you can make it work. I would start off the semester by letting your professors know that you have struggled with physics in the past and are looking for extra help opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks lis and psilovethomas. i'm going to think on it tonight.

I don't know if this is an option financially, but I would hire a tutor as soon as the semester starts. I've had really good luck going to the tutoring lab and finding tutors who want to make extra money on the side. I do better with a one-on-one tutor. I usually pay them $10/hour and find it is money very well spent. Then I would take Physics 1 and 2 and get that crap done with!! Good luck!

I second taking one course from your CC this semester and one this summer. VMCAS will still be open by the time you finish and it'll be a better academic experience. Taking two physics courses at once during your spring semester sounds either amazing or awful; I'm not entirely sure which. You'd definitely be living, breathing, and sleeping physics! :p

I'm not sure how your workload is, but if it's at all feasible, I'd retake those courses concurrently next semester. Look at it this way; it's a win-win situation. If you are accepted, you'll be able to attend next fall. If, for some reason, you aren't, you can take ease knowing that those prerequisites are done and either focus on a full-time job, getting valuable experience to enhance your application, or taking other important classes that might make your GPA competitive.

Obviously, that depends pretty heavily on how everything goes. If you have other classes or lots of work to do, I can see why you'd hesitate taking two classes that will require time and effort. If you're able to afford it and make the time, I'd say buckle down and take them both.

Yeah, it'll suck to have that much physics packed into four months, but were I in your position I'd at least want to give it a shot--I'd hate to sit in on a review panel and hear the admissions committee say "you would have been accepted if you met the prerequisites".

Best of luck!

I would echo Yugen's idea. If UGA will accept a pre-req taken over the summer (call them and talk to an advisor or even make an appointment to discuss your options) re-take phys I in the spring and phys II over the summer. Figure out where you need to improve for Phys I and then Phys II over the summer should be a heck of a lot easier.

Well, I apparently can't take physics 2 at the community college until I've made a C or better in physics 1, so it looks like I have to withdraw my application. As much as it breaks my heart, I know everything happens for a reason, and in the grand scheme of things, one year is not that big a deal. Its really depressing though, and I'm dreading having to explain the situation to all my friends and family over and over. Such is life I guess. Thank you to everyone who offered support and advice. It really helped keep me grounded during everything (my husband is down in the keys doing research and I haven't been able to talk to him much and I don't know many people in Georgia yet).

Sorry it's not going to work out this cycle.

I don't think I could have handled physics 1 and 2 at the same time. I'm sure you'll do much better taking them one at a time.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just continue to work hard, figure out what you need to do next time and focus on that.

Well, I apparently can't take physics 2 at the community college until I've made a C or better in physics 1, so it looks like I have to withdraw my application. As much as it breaks my heart, I know everything happens for a reason, and in the grand scheme of things, one year is not that big a deal. Its really depressing though, and I'm dreading having to explain the situation to all my friends and family over and over. Such is life I guess. Thank you to everyone who offered support and advice. It really helped keep me grounded during everything (my husband is down in the keys doing research and I haven't been able to talk to him much and I don't know many people in Georgia yet).
I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted html :( Hopefully instead of being a disappointment, this year can be an opportunity. You can use it to improve your application and increase your chances of success next cycle. Good luck with everything :luck:

Thanks guys. I'm still going to work in the necropsy lab and path dept (which I LOVE), so that gives me a whole year to learn that much more, and get to know more of the faculty here at the vet school. Maybe by the time next application cycle, I could ask for recommendations from here too!

Reactions: 3 users
For what it's worth, I really really, I mean REALLY, struggled with physics in high school and was terrified about taking it in college. At the college level I did great (maybe the style of teaching?) and went on to study engineering. Physics 1 and 2 are totally different so don't base your ability to do well in 2 on your performance in 1.

Ditto what everyone else said, while this may be a setback it's not end all be all. You'll be stronger for it and have time to build upon your experiences in the next year. Anyone who's never failed at something in life isn't normal

I got a D+ in organic II. I ended up retaking I & II over the summer, one right after the other and got A's in both. I was devastated, but I made the best of it, and I've been accepted to one vet school already, and I'm still hoping to hear from the other 5 schools I applied to.