Really in need of some guidance. Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perseverance13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I'm getting read to apply for the cycle and wanted input from someone who knows the process if I am ready to apply.
State of residence: NY
cGPA/sGPA: 3.70/3.68
MCAT: 513
Extracurriculars:
Clinical- NYU clinical experience internship (140 hrs), volunteer around hospital (150 hrs), and EMT experience volunteering in ambulance corps.
Non-clinical - habitat for humanity (100 hours) + various fundraising and community service with fraternity
Leadership - Orgo 1 and 2 TA, TA for a leadership and service class, leadership position in fraternity, and other minor leadership roles in my school.
Hobbies - I love to make content review chemistry videos for students enrolled in gen chem. I get paid for these videos and access to watch these videos is given to all those who are in the course.
Research - Just some research in chemistry, no pubs - 150 hrs
Shadowing - various specialties - 50 hrs
Decent LORs from professors I've worked with.

Could someone please tell me if I am ready to apply? I am not sure if I should take a gap year.. I'm slightly worried about my gpa since my advisor told me it's a little low for NY schools. Also, anything I can do to improve my application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're okay to apply this cycle. GPA is around median and MCAT is above median. It's not a sure thing, but the odds are in your favor.

Do you have a school list to start with?

Also, moving to WAMC

SUNY Downstate
NY Medical College
Albert Einstein
SUNY Upstate
NYU
Albany Medical college
SUNY Stony
UBuffalo
Hofstra
URochester
Penn State
Rutgers

That's all I currently have right now. Not sure what else to add. Assuming I don't do poorly in the interview, should I be good for at least 1 acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers doesn't really take OOS folks that much, so it's probably not a good idea to apply there. NYU is definitely a reach for you. Einstein and Rochester are going to be reaches too, but I think they're still worth applying to.

Other schools to consider are Jefferson, Quinnipiac, EVMS, VCU, Wake Forest, etc. You should probably be applying to at least 25 schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Your a fine candidate for the programs in your state sans the Big 4 of Manhattan.

Over a half dozen schools in NY routinely accept people in the 3.7/33 range. GPA is a non issue

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should add some more schools to your application, Since you seem to want to remain in the Northeast you could add:
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
CUNY
Seton Hall ( if it opens in 2017)