REALLY need advice on whether I should take the MCAT's or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invyke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my test scores from 3-10: (PS/V/BS)
3: 27 (10/9/8)
4: 27 (9/9/9)
5: 28 (10/10/8)
6: 29 (11/8/10)
7: 29 (11/8/10)
8 33 (12/10/11)
9: 28 (11/9/8)
10: 27 (9/9/9)

As you guys can see, I was on an upward trend from 3-8, but all of the sudden started dropping in scores onward. I just took 10 today, and let's just say that I slept at around 3AM because some idiots were partying outside of my hallway :boom:

Nevertheless, I know that at this point I shouldn't be making excuses. I am taking the test on the 25th of October, and was wondering: Should I move the test? Right now I'm in a 3+4 program so if I want to stick with this program, I pretty much have to take the MCAT's, January the latest. The minimum score required is a 30 (None of the sections can have a score lower than 9). There is the option of taking the new MCAT's and switching to a 4+4 program, but the uncertainty of the new test and also the amount of courses I would have to take are frightening. Looking at my scores, I feel as if I definitely had some improvements, but I don't know whether I'm just having "bad days" for AAMC 9 and 10, or whether it should mean I should move the test date.

Members don't see this ad.

I looks more likely that 8 was anomalously good for you, not that 9 and 10 were a trend reversal. But take AAMC11 on a good day and see whether you get back into low 30s?

Well I just learned that December 6th became an option, so I'm really torn on whether I should hold onto the AAMC then, or use it next week for the October test?

If you've already taken all the practice exams I assume you're at the end of your study plan. Do you have enough study material left to make the extra month helpful to you? Because distancing the exam from all your practice seems like a bad move if you're prepared now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean in terms of practice tests? I only have AAMC11, but have been thinking about picking up GS if I'm going to extend my studying period.

Yeah, I mean studying and then taking all the AAMC practices will get you the best prepped possible. I'd take AAMC11 and then decide what to do next - if you get a 30+ on it, you should just take the Oct 25th

If your program allows retakes, I would just take it now and retake it if it's under 30. If not, I wouldn't because you only scored above 30 once and it would be a huge risk to take it now.

If the questions you're missing don't belong to a common category, I think you've hit a plateau unless you feel like you're missing some important content. Your scores are close to 30. I would just take it this cycle and hope for the best.

^ I too agree. My advice is to reschedule for December if there's a seat near you.
The bio and verbal scores concern me the most. The physical section on #10 may have been really challenging so post-game very intensely for that one, but for bio you may need to do broader practice than just the topics you missed from one individual test based off your scores.
Also for VR, you may want to experiment with some different strategies and time would be conducive to that.
I think it's too much to ask for at least 1.5 points above your average with only 2 more weeks after presumably months of prep, especially considering 9-11 are more similar to the real deal.