Really need advice!

Tvcker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I really need some help here. I am 19, graduated HS in 2012 with a 3.8 GPA and I'm looking to be a neurosurgeon but this might change but i am definitely looking into becoming a surgeon. Im going to skip all of the details about why I havent started college because its lengthy haha so i will get right down to the point and if you would like to hear more, just let me know. But I am kind of at a stand still here. I Have no one to talk to about college because I have graduated high school already and no one in my family has went to college or anything. So can someone just give me a push in the right direction? I literally have no clue where to start. So any advice would be GREATLY Apprecated:)! But please refrain from being a jerk. I am just trying to get the ball rolling now:D Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

first things first, I think you have to do some research about colleges, and pre-med timeline/requirements. Also, get into a college. Whether it be your local CC or a university, get enrolled ASAP so you can start. Of course, easier said than done.. But from there, you can probably learn mostly everything you need about pre-med stuff just from the pre-allo SDN forum.

Thanks for the reply bud :)

That brings me to another question, how do I know if my local college has a good pre med program compared to others? Like I said before, I am really starting from nothing here. But then again it isnt like i just decided to be a doctor over night haha. I have done some research, but it is hard to research for stuff when you have no idea where to start ya know?

Members don't see this ad :)
The best college for you should help you get a high GPA, meaningful extracurricular activities, and great recommendation letters (so think non-Honors program with many opportunities).

I always recommend starting from community college unless you got a nice scholarship to a university (or can afford it).

There is this webpage from my university (Texas has different prereqs), but you should have looked through the stickied threads.

From your previous posts, I think you know what to do.

Just Google the nearest community college, go to its website, set up an account (begin by clicking "Future Students"), go to the Admissions office at the college (print the map), and turn in the paperwork.

You might need to take some placement tests.

Finally, you should be able to register for classes that are required in your degree (available on the nearest university's website).

Just use the internet!

It's not like the typical person has parents who went to college and know the answers to anything related to college.

Last edited:
The best college for you should help you get a high GPA, meaningful extracurricular activities, and great recommendation letters

:thumbup: This ^

Pretty much the consensus I've seen is basically any college will prepare you enough for the MCAT. Don't worry so much about that; focus more on fit if you can. And also, look around the sticked posts in the pre-allo thread, such as "2013-2014 Applicant Sticky (PS, AMCAS, Secondaries, Interviews, etc)". That'd probably be the most helpful, especially the FAQ and Mentor Forums. That should easily get you started on a lot of the pre-med info. Good luck dude.

Just google your nearest community college or university. Browse through its website portal and look for the admissions link. There will be the requirements, tuition, and everything related to getting into the institution.
There will be a phone number as well. You can call and make an appointment with an admissions officer. He has the ability to guide you through the process including financial aid.

lycka till
-M

Everything people have said so far is great advice. I'd like to add that you should google which schools have the highest number of pre-meds that matriculate into med schools. For example, I think a few years back UC Berkeley was #1 and UT Austin was #2. Although these figures are true partially bc of large student population at these schools, it also means that these schools have great opportunities for research, volunteering, shadowing, etc. If you live close to any of these schools and it's a good option financially, it'd be good to look into them.