2015 Really need help. Can I get into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am in a predicament and I'm not quite sure how to salvage the situation. I am currently a junior bio major at my state university, and I have been on and off academic probation for my entire college career. I did extremely well in high school. I have a strong chance of getting academically dismissed this semester, and I am not sure what the best option for me would be. Should I enroll at a cc and try to transfer back into my university? Is there a program where I can start again as a freshman with my high school stats? If I do not get dismissed from my current university, what should I do? I will be starting my spring semester of my junior year. I want to do well for myself in life, and I feel as though I'm beginning to realize it too late. I also am aware that I have a difficult road ahead of me, but I do believe that I can do well given a practical game plan. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I am working as a pharmacy tech and I have lab work experience. My current gpa is a 1.9. I have not taken a pcat yet.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would go to a community college and start from scratch. Look into pharmacy schools that don't require a degree. Complete the pre-requisites (you can probably finish them in a year), take the PCAT if the school requires it, and submit your application.

Honestly, at your GPA I would think you do not have many options. I have never seen a school have a minimum GPA lower than 2.5. There may be some that do, but you don't want to go to those schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you, I would go to a community college and start from scratch. Look into pharmacy schools that don't require a degree. Complete the pre-requisites (you can probably finish them in a year), take the PCAT if the school requires it, and submit your application.

Honestly, at your GPA I would think you do not have many options. I have never seen a school have a minimum GPA lower than 2.5. There may be some that do, but you don't want to go to those schools.

If I do attend a cc and take the pre-reqs, will the schools I apply to not look at my state university's grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I do attend a cc and take the pre-reqs, will the schools I apply to not look at my state university's grades?

According to pharmcas you are supposed to include every school you've ever attended. In that case, I would just go to a school that only looks at pre-req and do good on those. I know MCPHS only looks at pre-req GPA if you are an undergrad.

According to pharmcas you are supposed to include every school you've ever attended. In that case, I would just go to a school that only looks at pre-req and do good on those. I know MCPHS only looks at pre-req GPA if you are an undergrad.

I looked into their pre-reqs, I have many of those completed from high school AP tests. Would those transfer over or would they have to be retaken at a college or university?

I looked into their pre-reqs, I have many of those completed from high school AP tests. Would those transfer over or would they have to be retaken at a college or university?

I'm pretty sure you need to take them at a college but you can e-mail them.

I had an issue with plagiarism at school which made them decide to suspend me for summer for something worth 3% of the grade in a class. My gpa is 2.95 however, I have some volunteer work, research, shadowed a pharmacist and I am involved in some organizations on campus. Please I wanted to know the best way to study for the pcat,schools to apply into and how to explain my issue.
Thanks