really tough situation - would love advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My girlfriend was accepted to vet school and had decided to matriculate there. Last Friday she received an email from the admissions office stating that they haven't received her transcript for Micro bio and biochem. At our small liberal arts college we have courses called cell bio and virology that cover the general material that the prereqs would, but, in meeting with the asst. dean of admissions, she was told that this is probably going to create a problem and that there was a 50% chance they won't let her start this fall, even though she had clearance from UF in nov and letters from our undergrad profs saying that the coursework satisfied the requirements. She might not be able to start this fall due to a minor logistic or semantic issue. Has anyone had a problem similar to this or does anyone have any ideas? Just a shot in the dark... we're really worried about this! Thanks for ANY advice. Much appreciated.
~Mack

Members don't see this ad.

Probably her undergrad prof's letter wasn't enough for the admission committee. I think she should talk to admissions again and find out if she could provide detailed descriptions about those particular classes. Then the vet school would evaluate it.

In my case, it worked out pretty well. I am from Hungary and completed my prereqs about 10 years ago. I applied to Davis, and asked them if they would take some of my courses (Statistics, Physiology, Genetics). They required detailed course descriptions, so I went back to Hungary, visited my old school and all my professors, and I got descriptions of the course materials. When I came back to the US, I translated the lists and had the translations certified by a professional translator. Davis evaluated these translations, accepted them, so I didn't have to take those classes again.

You said that she had clearance from the vet school in November, and now they are saying that her classes are not the right ones. Hmmm, that is interesting, I am wondering why they cleared her in the first place. Anyway,
if she compares the topics of the required courses and her completed courses, and they are pretty much the same, then I don't see why the vet school wouldn't want her to start after submitting her course descriptions to them. So she should give it a try!

I hope this helps, good luck to her with this process,

Eva

Members don't see this ad :)