Reapp: 15 prim, 13 sec, 1 interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people, I could really use some constructive advice because I am completely lost and am debating re-taking the MCAT, but fear it may be a wrong decision.

WA resident.
31MCAT (10PS, 10BS, 11VR).
cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.9.

ECs:
~300 clinical shadowing hours (hospitalist, cardiology, ER, onco) [<50 during first application cycle]
~200 volunteer hours (100 clinical) [<100 during first application cycle]
2 years of undergrad biochem research (no pubs, 1 presentation)
UCSD pre-MSTP SURF program (shadowing+research, 1 presentation)
~6 months full-time biotech industry employee (immunotherapy) [since graduation]

Applied in 2012: 15 primaries, 13 secondaries, 1 interview (UW) - rejection
Since rejection and graduation I've been:
Working full-time at cancer immunotherapy company
Adding more clinical volunteering hours
MCAT prep (averaging 30-35) :/

I am currently clueless as to what I should be doing. I plan on reapplying during the 2014 cycle, but don't know what to do besides keep adding volunteer/clinical hours. I previously applied to mostly CA schools (+OHSU, UW), and have now come to regret that decision (but thought I might have an in at UCSD due to the summer internship).

Does anyone have any advice as to appropriate med schools for reapp, whether to retake the MCAT, add more shadow/volunteer hours, work on my secondary application writing skills, or what? I am completely lost. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is below average for the west coast. So go nuts with your MCAT prep and draw your confidence from mastery of content and not from practice test scores. If you haven't yet done a formal prep course, look into it. Focus on content coverage and working a million problems.

Without question you need your AMCAS submitted with your better MCAT score by July at the latest. Don't screw around with applying late.

The UC's in California are funded by California taxpayers and they have no obligation to support the students of other states. Spending time at UCSD doesn't give you any in-state status, and California is by far the most difficult state for trying to get into med school.

Similarly, Oregon has no responsibility for the premeds in Washington state.

What you should do, in addition to getting more points on the MCAT, is to do a better job of researching schools. Buy the MSAR and be responsible for what's in it. Don't listen to anybody your age spreading hearsay - go get the official info. Don't wait for somebody to figure this out for you.

Lastly, you will probably do better at UW after having worked for a couple of years. I'd bet that maturity is a problem here. Be the grownup in charge of what's going on and be on top of what you need to know...that's what doctors are like.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Your MCAT is below average for the west coast.

Ding dong. I can't think of a tougher geographic region than West Coast MD schools. Sounds like you didn't even do minimal research on your school list.

West Coast schools split along two lines: elite CA schools and public state schools hostile to OOS applicants. Oregon is the most receptive, but your MCAT is lower than their average. AZ and NV are tough for OOS, as are half the UC's. This is something you should know about as UW is the same. That leaves USC, Stanford, UCSD, UCSF, and UCLA. These are tough, period. Even with an improved MCAT, your odds getting accepted are very low.

Even with a better MCAT, your odds improve only marginally given the Best Coast's structural challenges.

Wait for UW. Your best shot may be as a UW reapplicant. Apply to other regions. And buy an MSAR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some tough love happening here, but I really appreciate the advice - so thank you guys. What I'm hearing is basically (1) improve MCAT as much as possible, and (2) reapp at UW, and (3) forget CA and focus my efforts more midwest-east coast (after sorting through MSAR stats).

In all honesty, I did also apply to a couple non west-coast schools, like UMinn, Mich State, Case Western, UMiami, etc. But still was only granted the single interview at UW. But after MSAR research, I think I'll be able to generate a substantially more appropriate list.

If anyone has any additional advice, I'm wholly receptive - lay it on me!

public school, strong in-state preference
Mich State
public school, VERY strong in-state preference
Case Western
this one is a good choice and you should apply here again
private school but strong in-state preference and your MCAT is below their average

The MSAR will tell you whether a school is public or not, and what % of students are from out of state. And that's not enough: a school that LOOKS like it takes a fair number of out-of-state students may have a REGIONAL preference such as Appalachia or Gulf Coast. You can only find this stuff out by first reviewing the MSAR to make a draft list of schools and then studying each school's website and then looking for insight from current/former students such as on SDN.

Yes, you really have to do this.

Best of luck to you.

Pay attention. The MCAT is the problem, along with aiming too high, and at public schools outside of your own state. As has been mentioned above, OOS public schools favor the home team.

You'll be fine of you aim for any low-tier MD school, or any DO program. Including mine. Heck, you have four choices on the left coast alone with Pacific NW, the two Westerns/COMP, and TUCOM-CA.

Suggest investing in MSAR and applying to schools whose median scores are close to your numbers.

Some tough love happening here, but I really appreciate the advice - so thank you guys. What I'm hearing is basically (1) improve MCAT as much as possible, and (2) reapp at UW, and (3) forget CA and focus my efforts more midwest-east coast (after sorting through MSAR stats).

In all honesty, I did also apply to a couple non west-coast schools, like UMinn, Mich State, Case Western, UMiami, etc. But still was only granted the single interview at UW. But after MSAR research, I think I'll be able to generate a substantially more appropriate list.

If anyone has any additional advice, I'm wholly receptive - lay it on me!