Reapp 3.68 c/sgpa 34 MCAT Chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

About28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok primary is about to be verified so here we go.

c/sgpa: 3.68
MCAT: 34 (balanced, nothing below 10)

ECs:
-2 years in a Biochem lab
-one week clinical volunteering trips to panama and Honduras. Involved in the organization for 2 years
-240 clinical volunteer hours at a US hospital over a span of 3 years
-90 hours shadowing at the same hospital. Multiple specialties.
-Leadership role in a comedy group
-4 summers of a blue-collar trades job
-I was active in my church community. Plus I'm a Eucharistic minister.

Applied last year with same MCAT but 3.65 gpa. Complete last year around October to november. Also applied to only a few schools and really top heavy. This year I should be verified this or next week and my secondaries are pre written. If I'm lucky I'll be complete everywhere mid July if possible. MA resident with strong NY ties. Here's the list on my primary:
· Albany Medical College

· BU

· Cooper

· Drexel

· Dartmouth

· Eastern Virginia Medical School

· Georgetown

· Jefferson

· Medical College of Wisconsin

· New York Medical College

· Oakland University COM

· Penn State

· SUNY Upstate

· Toledo College of Medicine

· Tufts

· Tulane

· University of Buffalo

· UMass

· University of Nebraska

· University of Kentucky

· University of Rochester

· UVM

· Virginia Commonwealth

· Virginia Tech

· Western Michigan

· Wright State

· Creighton

· Saint Louis

· Rosalind Franklin

· UCF

· Rutgers

· Loyola

· Hofstra

· Temple

· Einstein

See the mdapp for more info. Do I have a good chance this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

35 schools? Second most I've seen. You have a better chance at some schools than others, but I think you'll get in somewhere.

Where are you a reapplicant?

35 schools? Second most I've seen. You have a better chance at some schools than others, but I think you'll get in somewhere.

Where are you a reapplicant?

I hope I'll get in. Sdn makes me feel pretty average tho. I'm a reapplicant at Albany, BU ,Georgetown, Jefferson, nymc, penn state, upstate, buffalo, tufts, umass, uvm, and temple

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I'll get in. Sdn makes me feel pretty average tho.

SDN is not representative of the applicant pool. At all. Average MD applicant has a 3.5/29.

Goro suggests:

· Albany Medical College
· BU
· Drexel
· Dartmouth
· Eastern Virginia Medical School
· Georgetown
Jefferson
· Medical College of Wisconsin
· New York Medical College
· Oakland University COM
· Penn State
· SUNY Upstate
· Tufts
· Tulane
· University of Buffalo
· UMass
· University of Rochester
· UVM
· Virginia Commonwealth
· Virginia Tech
· Western Michigan
· Creighton
· Saint Louis
· Rosalind Franklin
UCF
· Loyola
· Hofstra
· Temple
· Einstein

You have all 35 prewritten? If so, damn! I am impressed. Do you think not being accecpetd was just due to your list being top heavy or did you have to address other things? What have you done over the last year in particular?

You have all 35 prewritten? If so, damn! I am impressed. Do you think not being accecpetd was just due to your list being top heavy or did you have to address other things? What have you done over the last year in particular?

Well not all 35 have secondaries, and some of them are notorious for changing every year. So in total I did like 22.

As for last year I messed up a few things. First, my PS and activity descriptions were pretty much average. Next, I applied to like 7 schools I actually had a decent chance at. Finally and most importantly, I applied unbelievably late. I was complete at most places that I had a good chance at in October or November. That was my biggest mistake and what kept me from getting an acceptance (had an interview and was told that I did everything right, they just ran out of room for OOS applicants).

As for what I did since my last app, I raised money for and went to panama on a mission trip, I went from a member to a leader of a comedy group, I continued my research, and I got rehired to my blue-collar job even when my position was eliminated

Thinking about adding GW but they rejected me last cycle. I was in their small pool and applied in October. Thoughts?

Take off Rutgers, it has extreme in state bias. Out of 2000 OOS applicants they give like 40 OOS interviews.

Well not all 35 have secondaries, and some of them are notorious for changing every year. So in total I did like 22.

This is solid work! I don't have any advice I just wanted to pop and say that I think you definitely have a chance this cycle and I wish you the best of luck!

Take off Rutgers, it has extreme in state bias. Out of 2000 OOS applicants they give like 40 OOS interviews.

Wow. Totally missed that one. Thank you so much. My original list was hand-written (very messy) and looking back, the school I wrote down was rush, not Rutgers. Thanks!

This is solid work! I don't have any advice I just wanted to pop and say that I think you definitely have a chance this cycle and I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yeah as a reapp, the last thing I wanted was to feel rushed or under pressure with secondaries. But yeah I hope I set myself up for success this time.

Just as an update, all my secondaries were returned in less than 2 weeks and my university is sending my letter packet this week, which means I'll be complete at all schools very soon. All the schools I applied to that prescreen sent me secondaries too. I know that doesn't mean too much but it gives me a small amount of hope.

What does everyone think about me submitting a DO application? Would that be a wast of time and money (which is getting very finite at this point) for me?

I think it would be worth applying to a few DO schools. You are definitely competitive for DO and it would be nice to have some certainty that you will be accepted somewhere and will be attending medical school next year. There are 2 DO schools in PA, 2 in NY and 1 in Maine if you want to remain in the northeast. You do not need to apply to a large number of DO schools as you have for MD-6 or 7 should be adequate.

Well my school finally figured things out and sent my letters last week. The complete emails are rolling in now. Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd bump an old one of mine to ask about my chances if I'm complete around now/ when I'll likely be hearing from schools. Any ideas?