Reapp needs your help! (GPA 3.94/MCAT 37)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am re-posting (So Sorryy!! ) because I could not get Fee Assistance Program this year.... Since this was unexpected, I now need to use my own money to cover application fees~~

Anyhow, I was going to apply for 40 schools, but I have now come up with a new school list of 20 schools that I think I have a good chance with. I didn't get a single interview during the last cycle, so I am pretty nervous/desparate/hopeless. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME T_T_T_T_T

Demographics:
24 years old, East Asian, California resident.

Numbers:
cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 1st time, 9 ps, 9 vr, 12 bs (30Q)
2nd time, 13 ps, 10 vr, 14 bs (37R)

EC
Clinical Volunteering - SOMETHING I DIDNT HAVE DURING THE LAST CYCLE
1) 120 hours hospital ER volunteering by June
2) 200 hours externship at a local clinic.

Pure Shadowing - SOMETHING I DIDNT HAVE DURING THE LAST CYCLE
1) 20 hours with a bariatric surgeon during both OR and clinic days.
1) 20 hours with a pediatrician.

Research
1) Undergraduate Researcher for 2.5 years: no pub, but received ~2K grant and presented at the school's annual symposium.

Non-clinical volunteering/activities
1) Bible school teacher for 4 years. Free tutoring on saturdays and Christian stuff on sundays
2) Various summer missions with my mission organization.
3) 1 year mission to china to counsel studnets mainly and teach english on the side.

Employment
1) Private tutor

Others:
several academic awards.

This is my current school list:
UCSF
UCLA Geffen + PRIME
UCSD
Einstein
Case Western
USC
UCD
UCI
UCR
Drexel
Loma Linda
Temple
University of Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
SLU-
Jefferson
OSU
Tufts
Creighton
Loyola University - Stritch
---------------------------------------------------------

LOVE YOU ALL <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Add VCU and NYMC to the list, they are pretty open to California applicants.

You obviously did not get lucky last cycle because you did not have any clinical experience whatsoever. Your stats are great and I would personally apply to a few more top tower schools if I were you...

Members don't see this ad :)
You obviously did not get lucky last cycle because you did not have any clinical experience whatsoever. Your stats are great and I would personally apply to a few more top tower schools if I were you...

Tower means tier

Agree I would apply to 5 more schools and finalize it to 25 schools. Apply to 2 safeties and 3 upper tier schools.

UCSF
UCLA Geffen + PRIME
UCSD
Einstein
Case Western
USC
UCD
UCI
UCR
Drexel
Loma Linda
Temple
University of Vermont
SLU-
Jefferson
OSU
Tufts
Creighton

LOVE YOU ALL <3

Good Strong app.

See bold: the three Penn schools where literally 1/4 of all applicants apply. I would advise to either drop all three or pick the best one. You have a pretty strong app and schools like this know that you will end up at a "better" place (no offense to anyone who goes here). Your money is better spent else where. If you are looking for "safeties", look at schools within your stats range (32+ MCAT).

Look at some NY (NYU, NYMC, Rochester) and IL schools (Chicago, Feinberg). As others have said, you should take a shot at a few more top tier schools.

You're golden now, so aim high. Suggest adding Stanford, some of the Ivies, U Chicago, Northwestern, U TX-Southwestern, Baylor, Johns Hopkins, Duke and Wash U Oh, throw in U CO, U WA, U NV and U Az. Good luck!

UCSF
UCLA Geffen + PRIME
UCSD
Einstein
Case Western
USC
UCD
UCI
UCR
Drexel
Loma Linda
Temple
University of Vermont
SLU-
Jefferson
OSU
Tufts
Creighton

LOVE YOU ALL <3[/QUOTE]

As a re-applicant, do you have any sense as to which schools seemed at all interested? i.e. did you have any interviews anywhere?