Reapplicant 3.65 34 BUT with Circumstance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just because essays take time doesn't mean they have to be good...
A bad essay still takes time. X35 x2-3

And your relying on an assumption for full time work, sure some do, you call also argue that school work had a different type of exhaustion that is amplified by essay writing.

Look, could I have done better? Yes. Did I? No. Did I still score above average on my tests? Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

And yet you said that your essays could have been better. Interesting.
Most students work or do full time research over the summer, probably committed to more hours than when in class. I'm not sure your argument is sound.
I would consider taking the whole summer off to concentrate 24/7 on your essays, and a semester off to figure out a way to make your couple interviews fit into your schedule.

with all due respect, i don't think this is necessarily true. many/most of my peers did traveling, hanging out with friends, and plain-old resting during their summers. many others do commit to full-time endeavors during the summer (work, research, multiple classes, etc.), while a few did absolutely jack squat.

and i dont think the sarcasm is necessary

Just because essays take time doesn't mean they have to be good...
A bad essay still takes time. X35 x2-3

And your relying on an assumption for full time work, sure some do, you call also argue that school work had a different type of exhaustion that is amplified by essay writing.

Look, could I have done better? Yes. Did I? No. Did I still score above average on my tests? Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

OP, i know you are frustrated right now, but hear me out.

I know that many people on this thread sound harsh, but in general, most of them offer very good advice. I think you are still at a great place (3.6+ and 34 is NOTHING to sneeze at), and the fact that you received 4 IIs on a late application does speak volume about the quality of your application. However, it doesn't matter now how many IIs you received because you didn't manage to turn any of them into an acceptance. So put that behind you and start focusing on your next round of applications, whenever you decide to apply again.

I don't think you'll get any more useful advice on here, and people certainly will not start telling you things you want to hear. So my suggestion is to get off this site and start enhancing your application.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, i know you are frustrated right now, but hear me out.

I know that many people on this thread sound harsh, but in general, most of them offer very good advice. I think you are still at a great place (3.6+ and 34 is NOTHING to sneeze at), and the fact that you received 4 IIs on a late application does speak volume about the quality of your application. However, it doesn't matter now how many IIs you received because you didn't manage to turn any of them into an acceptance. So put that behind you and start focusing on your next round of applications, whenever you decide to apply again.

I don't think you'll get any more useful advice on here, and people certainly will not start telling you things you want to hear. So my suggestion is to get off this site and start enhancing your application.

Good luck!

Thank you, I appreciate the support in this thread :]

By the way guys, I got rejected from Einstein and UC'd (preliminary waitlist, but almost no one gets post-interview rejected) from Albany today. I truly hate my life :/

with all due respect, i don't think this is necessarily true. many/most of my peers did traveling, hanging out with friends, and plain-old resting during their summers. many others do commit to full-time endeavors during the summer (work, research, multiple classes, etc.), while a few did absolutely jack squat.

and i dont think the sarcasm is necessary

Don't give up hope.
You should look into an SMP.

Thank you, I appreciate the support in this thread :]

By the way guys, I got rejected from Einstein and UC'd (preliminary waitlist, but almost no one gets post-interview rejected) from Albany today. I truly hate my life :/

Head up, dude! Albany accepts tons of people off their waitlist every year :)

Don't give up hope.
You should look into an SMP.

Would a SMP be necessary, over say, taking an extra year of upper division classes at USC?

I would imagine that a SMP is needed more for people with bad GPA's whereas a post-bacc would be more ideal for repairing a grade trend.

Also,

I called Einstein and they do not give feedback.

However, I also called Dartmouth ( a school I was rejected from pre-interview), and got some good feedback on how I could better present my medical experiences.

I also asked about the grade decline and told them my overall GPA will be a 3.65 (down from a 3.74) but that I got a 2.85 during my senior year as I spread myself too thin and was not able to prioritize both my application and my grades.

He did say "woah" but also told me that they will look at the whole application and recommended me to explain it in my applications. He said they would try and analyze if it would be a recurring event or if it was a one time thing.

Though it was bad, it did seem like, as long as I could explain it, that I would still have a chance

I also emailed UCI (they gave me feedback earlier last month) about the situation.

Have you gotten your grades from this semester? The semester you said in your op that your GPA would be between 2.0-3.0? Did you mention that your cGPA might decline further when you talked to Dartmouth?

Well, no, But I think I said my senior year (not sure), also, my spring semester will not be included in my application. So i'm not sure how that would affect me unless a school specifically looks through my application and requests it. NOTE: Many UC students do this as their spring grades do not come out until mid June.

Also LizzyM recommended to apply (I think, her first part sugegsts applying, the second part I don't know)

"Frankly, I think you should plug your numbers into the lizzym formula and choose 15 schools that are close. No reaches. Have a goal of turning around the secondary in 48 hours.

Do you have a job for this gap year? If not, you might want to make that priority 1 and apply in 2014. "

I thin k I qualify for FAP as well, so is there any harm in trying? I also registered for Fall semester

Chemistry of HIV: Discovery/Treatment (Chem 200 class)
Ecology (Upper Division)
Spanish 3 (Pass/No Pass)
Statistics
Research for Credit (easy A)

Have you gotten your grades from this semester? The semester you said in your op that your GPA would be between 2.0-3.0? Did you mention that your cGPA might decline further when you talked to Dartmouth?

I don't expect my grades to decline further. I'm holding a B+ in Biochem, with the final maybe an A- is possible. And a B-/B in Population Genetics, maybe a B/B+ with final. My Writing class is the big one, I scored B-/B on all my essays, but am docked a HUGE amount for participation (for skipping classes due to interviews, sickness). But, I also spent an hour talking about my cycle and stuff in office hours with her so maybe she'll give me sympathy lol

It looks like you've been arguing with the advice of some attendings/faculty members. I'm not saying their word is like the word of God or anything like that, but considering they probably have experience going through hundreds of medical school applications AND choose the best candidates, I'd probably take their word more seriously than the random pre-med spouting hearsay.

I'm sure if you had direct access to the deans of admission and were able to explain yourself, you COULD garner some sympathy for your senior year situation. The fact is, you have to try to convey that on paper. Even if you excelled the first three years of college, your last year of sub 3.0 GPA is suspect and it's much easier to just take chances on a person with a consistently good GPA or upward trend (since it's really the only clear display that a person is improving, not declining). I think taking a 5th year at USC is to your advantage and making straight As, like 3.9-4.0 status, will cement you case that your SENIOR YEAR was the fluke. As it stands, your junior year looks like the fluke, because CC class difficulty is wildly variable and you only have 2 semesters of good grades from a 4 year university.

If cost is an issue, look to local Cal States. Don't look at CCs. You want four year universities. But if you must reapply this year, then good luck to you and I really do hope you prove most of us wrong!

It looks like you've been arguing with the advice of some attendings/faculty members. I'm not saying their word is like the word of God or anything like that, but considering they probably have experience going through hundreds of medical school applications AND choose the best candidates, I'd probably take their word more seriously than the random pre-med spouting hearsay.

I'm sure if you had direct access to the deans of admission and were able to explain yourself, you COULD garner some sympathy for your senior year situation. The fact is, you have to try to convey that on paper. Even if you excelled the first three years of college, your last year of sub 3.0 GPA is suspect and it's much easier to just take chances on a person with a consistently good GPA or upward trend (since it's really the only clear display that a person is improving, not declining). I think taking a 5th year at USC is to your advantage and making straight As, like 3.9-4.0 status, will cement you case that your SENIOR YEAR was the fluke. As it stands, your junior year looks like the fluke, because CC class difficulty is wildly variable and you only have 2 semesters of good grades from a 4 year university.

If cost is an issue, look to local Cal States. Don't look at CCs. You want four year universities. But if you must reapply this year, then good luck to you and I really do hope you prove most of us wrong!

I have been arguing in a way, but sometimes I feel that people don't factor in time, or that time is not as much of a concern. For example, 4 years off seems overboard which was some advice given. This is why I called up Dartmouth and emailed LizzyM, both of which didn't seem or portray it as an auto reject etc. A

I think I'm going to apply and go into it with a mentality of "I probably won't get in and will have to apply a 3rd time" BUT while preparing for a 3rd cycle (5th year at USC etc).I'm also going to apply to low tier/newer MD schools so while it might be safer to choose a similar applicant without the grade drop, a 34/3.65 early app w/ a grade decline might compare with a 3.6/30 at a low tier school No?

Ultimately, I qualify for FAP so the financial aspects of it won't be terrible.

Unless there is some kind of stigma against 3rd time reapplicants (which I can't seem to find), I can't see how reapply while preparing for a 3rd cycle will hurt so long as I keep my expectations low. :]

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been arguing in a way, but sometimes I feel that people don't factor in time, or that time is not as much of a concern. For example, 4 years off seems overboard which was some advice given. This is why I called up Dartmouth and emailed LizzyM, both of which didn't seem or portray it as an auto reject etc. A

I think I'm going to apply and go into it with a mentality of "I probably won't get in and will have to apply a 3rd time" BUT while preparing for a 3rd cycle (5th year at USC etc).I'm also going to apply to low tier/newer MD schools so while it might be safer to choose a similar applicant without the grade drop, a 34/3.65 early app w/ a grade decline might compare with a 3.6/30 at a low tier school No?

Unless there is some kind of stigma against 3rd time reapplicants (which I can't seem to find), I can't see how reapply while preparing for a 3rd cycle will hurt so long as I keep my expectations low. :]

I actually think some schools do not want 3rd time applicants... (Some one fact check me though.) I don't know if that is specific to 3rd time applying in general or 3rd time applying to that specific school.

What I don't really understand is why you're applying being nearly sure that you'll have to reapply a third time. Application cycles are draining financially and mentally. You qualify for FAP and you were expressing concern about paying for more schooling, especially at an expensive place like USC. You were also saying how the stressors of interviewing and applying got to you and contributed to your lower grades in senior year. It makes no sense to put yourself through all of that if you think your best chance will be the NEXT time around. I would just focus on improving your application in every single way, including higher grades.

Not all 3.6s are equal. Maybe if ADCOMs only look at the number, but they look at your transcripts semester by semester. A 3.6 with a severe upper trend suggests the applicant took some time adjusting to college, but ultimately figured it out. This success will carry over into doing well in medical school hopefully. A 3.6 with a downward trend suggests the applicant started out strong but somehow fizzled out or lost motivation or went through some catastrophic life event. Now we know it's not the last one, and burning out is NOT something ADCOMs want to hear about, especially if you're expected the jump right into medical school and do well.

What I don't really understand is why you're applying being nearly sure that you'll have to reapply a third time. Application cycles are draining financially and mentally. You qualify for FAP and you were expressing concern about paying for more schooling, especially at an expensive place like USC. You were also saying how the stressors of interviewing and applying got to you and contributed to your lower grades in senior year. It makes no sense to put yourself through all of that if you think your best chance will be the NEXT time around. I would just focus on improving your application in every single way, including higher grades.

Not all 3.6s are equal. Maybe if ADCOMs only look at the number, but they look at your transcripts semester by semester. A 3.6 with a severe upper trend suggests the applicant took some time adjusting to college, but ultimately figured it out. This success will carry over into doing well in medical school hopefully. A 3.6 with a downward trend suggests the applicant started out strong but somehow fizzled out or lost motivation or went through some catastrophic life event. Now we know it's not the last one, and burning out is NOT something ADCOMs want to hear about, especially if you're expected the jump right into medical school and do well.

Yup but I also have a strong MCAT a 3.6 w/o a decline is better then a 3.6 with a decline, but how does a 34 factor in against a 29-30? I don't know, but I'm willing to find out.. I don't think my chances are 0 affirmed by both Dartmouth and LizzyM (both Admissions). I imagine my chances are a good amount lower than a 3.65 w/ 34 w/o the trend say 75% -> 45%

Also, EITHER way, I have to take classes at USC. The only difference between both plans in the cost in applying. If I had a 30% chance of getting in, then the 1000-2000 $ costs in applying would be worth it.

Also, your right, a few schools do not like 3rd time applicants. We'll see!

Last edited:
Well, no, But I think I said my senior year (not sure), also, my spring semester will not be included in my application. So i'm not sure how that would affect me unless a school specifically looks through my application and requests it. NOTE: Many UC students do this as their spring grades do not come out until mid June.

Also LizzyM recommended to apply (I think, her first part sugegsts applying, the second part I don't know)

"Frankly, I think you should plug your numbers into the lizzym formula and choose 15 schools that are close. No reaches. Have a goal of turning around the secondary in 48 hours.

Do you have a job for this gap year? If not, you might want to make that priority 1 and apply in 2014. "

I thin k I qualify for FAP as well, so is there any harm in trying? I also registered for Fall semester

Chemistry of HIV: Discovery/Treatment (Chem 200 class)
Ecology (Upper Division)
Spanish 3 (Pass/No Pass)
Statistics
Research for Credit (easy A)

Since you brought up LizzyM. Looking at that closely, it looks like she's telling you to get a job this year, and apply in 2014 to matriculate 2015. AKA, not applying this year. Either way, if your heart is set on applying next month, then there's no stopping you. But don't be too surprised if things don't turn out your way the second time. I'd rather save the disappointment and really focus on grades and application to do everything RIGHT the second time around, even if it is a year later.

Her post had more information in front of it, it was a bit confusing though. Here is her full post:

"You don't need me to tell you that you applied to too many schools last time and too many reaches. Then you spent too much time on applications and bombed your classes.

OK, so you applied to many schools last year and got a few interviews but no offers. So, besides being late, you don't seem to interview well. If you are going to reapply, you are going to have to work on interviews.

However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. How is your application better this year than last year? Maybe it will be earlier. But on the other hand, your gpa is much lower including a really terrible senior year. Is being early with a good gpa better than being late with a very good gpa? I guess you are the test case. Frankly, I think you should plug your numbers into the LizzyM formula and choose 15 schools that are close. No reaches. Have a goal of turning around the secondary in 48 hours.

Do you have a job for this gap year? If not, you might want to make that priority 1 and apply in 2014.

Good luck
LizzyM"

You're right that LizzyM doesn't suggest that your chances are 0. But judging from the rest of the message, she's strongly suggesting that you don't have a strong chance at all. I think she'd agree with the other ADCOMs who have chimed in here, although probably not as extreme or harsh. The "really terrible" senior year and your interviewing skills are probably your biggest problems right now.

Make sure your GPA won't drop further next year when you go travel for more interviews! That'll pretty much ruin any shot at a 3rd cycle if it comes to that.

Yup but interviewing skills is irrelevant to appllying now as that's something I need to work on regardless. Also, only one dean of a D.O. school has chimed in here. A darmouth dean and LizzyM don't seem to suggest its an autoreject.

I think its obvious that it would increase chances to just apply next cycle, but I'm okay with a small chance (30-40%) AND applying next cycle.

Ultimately low chances and starting a year earlier + reapplication backup > reapplication backup

Also, I would have secondaries (which took the majority of my time) done during summer so my school year would only be affected by interviews.

Make sure your GPA won't drop further next year when you go travel for more interviews! That'll pretty much ruin any shot at a 3rd cycle if it comes to that.

Don't think it will, interviews affected participation grade of English paired w/ absences from getting bronchitus twice. But, not taking any participation orientation classes next semester. Also, I'm in a different mindset! :]

I think I can certainly handle interviews. Writing (secondaries) is just very exhaustive for me so I think that was the bigger time consume + exhaustion factor for me.

Hey Nabilesmail,

I'm in a similar situation as you and thought I would chime in with my opinion and what I'm doing.

Like you, I applied late (but only got three interviews) and was waitlisted after all of them. I'm expecting not to get in this year and was deciding whether I should do one or two years off. I decided to wait a year before applying to really improve my application and give myself a fair chance to go to a school that I want to go to, not have to settle for. I think starting medical school a year later and enjoying where you are for four years beats the heck out of feeling out of place for four years but starting a year earlier. And think of all the things you could do in a year that would make your app even more rocking! And getting new letters of recommendation will definitely help (I think I read that you wouldn't be using many new letters for this new cycle).

I do think there's some stigma to third time applicants. Also, I'm sure you'd be seen as persistent and dedicated to getting into medical school as a third time applicant, but applying when you're expecting a third cycle is neither of those things. Also applying this cycle is probably going to make you comfortable with your app and not want to do new things to improve for the third cycle. I'm speaking from experience on this one; I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Btw, don't you have finals? Get off SDN and study!

Hey Nabilesmail,

I'm in a similar situation as you and thought I would chime in with my opinion and what I'm doing.

Like you, I applied late (but only got three interviews) and was waitlisted after all of them. I'm expecting not to get in this year and was deciding whether I should do one or two years off. I decided to wait a year before applying to really improve my application and give myself a fair chance to go to a school that I want to go to, not have to settle for. I think starting medical school a year later and enjoying where you are for four years beats the heck out of feeling out of place for four years but starting a year earlier. And think of all the things you could do in a year that would make your app even more rocking! And getting new letters of recommendation will definitely help (I think I read that you wouldn't be using many new letters for this new cycle).

I do think there's some stigma to third time applicants. Also, I'm sure you'd be seen as persistent and dedicated to getting into medical school as a third time applicant, but applying when you're expecting a third cycle is neither of those things. Also applying this cycle is probably going to make you comfortable with your app and not want to do new things to improve for the third cycle. I'm speaking from experience on this one; I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Btw, don't you have finals? Get off SDN and study!

Hey man sorry! I took your advice and stayed of SDN to study for my final :p!!

I aprpeciate your input and completely think its valid. Before I applied last cycle, I really wanted to go to a top tier medical school, maybe it had to do with the insecurities of always being the "dumb" one growing up because I never tried in school. I was expecting to score a 37+ on my MCAT (according to AAMC practice tests) and was given feedback that my application, even with a top MCAT, was not good enough yet for a top tier school, and if I wanted to go, I should take an additional year to boost up my EC's. I decided to apply anyways because, after thinking about it, I care more about being a physician earlier than where I exactly go. I think I would be happy going to any MD school in the US. I also completely understand your concern about getting comfortable with your application, that is exactly what happened to me when I applied (didn't do many new EC's). But, this time I'm not going in with any arrogance or cockiness, I completely accept the reality that I may need a 3rd application. BTW, UCI emailed me back

"Thank you for your email and interest in UC Irvine School of Medicine. It is hard to say exactly how this will impact your application. It seems that your overall GPA is solid, but it may cause concern to some Admissions Committee Members that you struggled during your senior year. I cannot tell you what to do about reapplying-you can always address the drop in grades and the struggles you faced during the application cycle."

So far it seems that 3 deans see it as a concern but not impossible.

Edit: Just called MCW- Though I don't believe I was talking to a Dean (I just called their admissions since their email says they offer feedback), I told my situation to the lady and she said I would still be a competitive applicant and I could always explain it in my application or they may ask me in an interview, but because of my MCAT and GPA, I'm still competitive.

Last edited:
OK, so you applied to many schools last year and got a few interviews but no offers. So, besides being late, you don't seem to interview well. If you are going to reapply, you are going to have to work on interviews.

Haha... this does not surprise me at all after reading your posts here, OP. To be blunt, your responses to people who are trying to HELP and ADVISE you, not break you down or make you feel bad, seem immature at best and belligerent at worst. Please bear in mind that I am also trying to be supportive by telling you this. You are probably a really smart, selfless, and determined person! But you are not coming across that way in this forum and I worry that you are not coming across that way in your PS or interview, either.

The cold, hard truth is that you don't realize who your competition is. You are competing with people who did well throughout college, didn't drop the ball senior year, did well on the MCAT, and are thankful for the opportunity to attend med school. It is truly a privilege, which you haven't earned yet for some reason. Speaking as someone who finally gained acceptance after several admissions cycles, you have to make a genuine change to your application if you expect to get a change in the results. For you, it will probably include additional coursework in some form and a heavy dose of humility. Keep working to improve yourself and your application, and you will see success!!

This is the next 1-4 years of my life, how do you expect me to not question what people say, I am arguing becomes I am not completely convinced, it is me trying to understand and lead myself to a decision that I will not regret. None of my comments have been blunt until people started becoming insulting.

So far four schools/Deans have mentioned it could be concerning, but none of them have mentioned it is an auto-reject, but rather to just explain it. If this ends up true, than me questioning premeds/medical students would have been the best decision I could of made because a Dean knows more than a premed/medical student/resident assumption (yes a grade decline looks bad, but saying its an autoreject is an assumption).

I don't think my application needs a radical change, after talking to MCW (who said my application just was late but was good), Hofstra (nothing looks wrong), Irvine (Concerned about how much medical exposure I have, but these are mistakes on my part in terms of writing, Example: I shadowed 6 physicians but just wrote down names and dates, also, Irvine thought I only did my volunteering for 1.5 months because of the confusion in how I wrote it. It was over 3 summers.), Dartmouth (Similar concern, the way I wrote my medical exposure experience wasn't great). With this I still got 4 interviews with a pretty late application, which thought not great, is not terrible either.

I think I could do a MUCH better job of writing my personal statement and secondaries this time around. I believe the only concern of my application is my senior trend, which as mentioned, doesn't seem to be an autoreject but rather an obstacle (though maybe a large one).

It seems that whenever someone questions or tries to understand a situation on studoc, they get flamed/attacked. People also need to be sensitive to the fact that this is someones life, that years do matter, and that people should question efficiency vs effectiveness.

More time will always increase application chances, but that doesn't mean it is completely necessary to gain an acceptance at A MD school. Ultimately, I am going to apply this cycle and hope for the best, if I don't get in, that's okay, I'll be in a much better position for the cycle after. But atleast I know I tried, and that I have a chance at starting my passion one year earlier.

I appreciate your support and understand your points and views, but disagreeing and presenting my views does not mean I have no humility.

Last edited:
Here is an update:

I recently got a position volunteering in a free clinic which I am super excited about. 5 hrs/week and I get to do a lot of medical things like take a short history, get blood pressure, pulse, weight/height etc.

I also rewrote my personal statement, and though it is largely unedited and still needs to be corrected for some grammar etc, I think it is much better, less cliche, more self-selling, and more focused. One thing I'm concerned about is, should I mentioned my senior year grades in my PS and explain? The problem is, this will take too much time away from other aspects as I already wrote a paragraph about how I attended multiple community colleges, 2 paragraphs would pretty much be half my essay. I'm hoping to explain the senior year grades in my secondary apps, good idea?

Lastly, I also just got offered (after an interview) to attend TPR MCAT Teacher training, most trainees will get certified and get the job to teach, so I'm really excited about that. Should I include this in my app?

My last semester grades came in and I aced all my finals, unfortunately, still resulted in a A-, B+ B-, Pass, I did not include this semester with my transcript to AAMCAS

This is the next 1-4 years of my life, how do you expect me to not question what people say, I am arguing becomes I am not completely convinced, it is me trying to understand and lead myself to a decision that I will not regret. None of my comments have been blunt until people started becoming insulting.

So far four schools/Deans have mentioned it could be concerning, but none of them have mentioned it is an auto-reject, but rather to just explain it. If this ends up true, than me questioning premeds/medical students would have been the best decision I could of made because a Dean knows more than a premed/medical student/resident assumption (yes a grade decline looks bad, but saying its an autoreject is an assumption).

I appreciate your support and understand your points and views, but disagreeing and presenting my views does not mean I have no humility.

Sry I took a while to get back to you :) The bolded above is where I take small issue. If you have no interest in what the anonymous internet SDN community (OBVIOUSLY less credible than deans of med schools, although perhaps more honest) has to say unless they are being supportive, then why did you ask? The reason we ask is because we want to know, good, bad, or ugly. Criticism has helped me grow much more than compliments in my life, and hopefully polite criticism will help you, too.

Have you yet started to consider that immaturity and apparent lack of humility are hurting you? I mean, when I re-applied, I had to eventually accept that lack of confidence and immaturity were holding me back. I am certainly not trying to attack you, but help you by providing feedback about how you may appear to others. Knowing your true weaknesses only makes you stronger, and taking constructive criticism well is a valuable skill for the future. You are probably a very smart person who will be a fantastic physician, and learning this skill will make you unstoppable in the future.

Practical advice: Yes, mention the MCAT teacher training. No, don't include explanations/excuses for senior year grades in your PS. Wait until they ask, and then have a great, humble answer about concrete changes you have made. Congrats on the free clinic! That's great experience that will def improve your app. Good Luck!!

Regardless of your senior year semester, you still have a great cGPA and MCAT. If you spend more time on your essays this time around, perhaps you will get accepted somewhere. If you don't think you can get in this time, would you be open to the SMP route?

Anyone mind taking a look at my school list? Any Low tier or new MD school suggestions? I feel they are the only schools that will really give me a shot

UCLA- reach But in state and I think I fit mission
UCLA-Drew- Reach but I have a lot of work with underserved/kinda what I want to do
UCSF- Reach
UCSD-Reach
UCI
UCD
USC- Alma
EINSTEIN - Received II last year
JEFFERSON - Received II last year
ALBANY- Received II last year
HOFSTRA- Received II last year
NYMC
PENN-STATE
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipac
George Washington
Rosaland Franklin
Dartmouth- Reach but gotta try right?
Virginia commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
University of Vermont
St. Louis University
University of South Florida
West Virginia University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush University

Anyone mind taking a look at my school list? Any Low tier or new MD school suggestions? I feel they are the only schools that will really give me a shot

UCLA- reach But in state and I think I fit mission
UCLA-Drew- Reach but I have a lot of work with underserved/kinda what I want to do
UCSF- Reach
UCSD-Reach
UCI
UCD
USC- Alma
EINSTEIN - Received II last year
JEFFERSON - Received II last year
ALBANY- Received II last year
HOFSTRA- Received II last year
NYMC
PENN-STATE
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipac
George Washington
Rosaland Franklin
Dartmouth- Reach but gotta try right?
Virginia commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
University of Vermont
St. Louis University
University of South Florida
West Virginia University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush University
I count 15 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. Depending on how your interviews went this year, it could go up or down a bit.

15 is usually enough with your MCAT, but as you know, YMMV.

I count 15 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. Depending on how your interviews went this year, it could go up or down a bit.

15 is usually enough with your MCAT, but as you know, YMMV.

YMMV? Sorry don't know the acronym :/ edit: Your chances may vary? haha

Dang, there is 25 schools, I thought aside from UCLA/UCSD/UCSF/UCLA DREW/DARTMOUTH

I had a fair shot at all of them, are there any schools you guys suggests me to take off or add?

I included all the UC's because they are my state schools, USC because it's my alma meter and I'm not too far off their stats, and Dartmouth because I talked to their Dean and he gave me an insight into what they are looking for, and I think I have an activity that represents that perfectly.

Aside from that, the only decently high tier schools are Einstein, where I got an II last year, and UCI/UCDavis which I'm sitting around their average for stats (though I have the terrible trend :/)

Last edited:
My question is why are you so against DO schools? You're a total shoo-in, yet you scoff at them. If you actually cared about a career in medicine and not just the letters after your name then you would apply to a couple DO schools this time around and be set for life. You can still get all the same fellowships and residencies as a DO as you can as an MD student, so there really isn't any problem with going DO if you have applied MD once before and failed.

YMMV? Sorry don't know the acronym :/ edit: Your chances may vary? haha

Dang, there is 25 schools, I thought aside from UCLA/UCSD/UCSF/UCLA DREW/DARTMOUTH

I had a fair shot at all of them, are there any schools you guys suggests me to take off or add?

I included all the UC's because they are my state schools, USC because it's my alma meter and I'm not too far off their stats, and Dartmouth because I talked to their Dean and he gave me an insight into what they are looking for, and I think I have an activity that represents that perfectly.

Aside from that, the only decently high tier schools are Einstein, where I got an II last year, and UCI/UCDavis which I'm sitting around their average for stats (though I have the terrible trend :/)
Now you are a re-applicant with a lower GPA. 15 of those 25 is not bad. If Dartmouth interviews you please let us know!

My question is why are you so against DO schools? You're a total shoo-in, yet you scoff at them. If you actually cared about a career in medicine and not just the letters after your name then you would apply to a couple DO schools this time around and be set for life. You can still get all the same fellowships and residencies as a DO as you can as an MD student, so there really isn't any problem with going DO if you have applied MD once before and failed.

When have I scoffed at them? Believe me, I know that D.O. and M.D. are ALMOST exactly the same. The difference is the small disadvantages throughout life (in competitive residiencies etc). My stats are competitive enough to where I don't need to apply and give myself those disadvantages yet- no matter how small. I'm applying now to see, if I don't get in, then when I apply next year after a full year of GPA repair as well, I'll also apply to D.O., but until then, I don't think I need to just yet. I thought about D.O. today, and eventually concluded that i would rather spend an extra year fixing GPA, before applying D.O., but not more than that. Its a happy medium :]

Last edited: