Reapplicant advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swebb6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my second application cycle and I've done a lot to improve. I completed my primary and secondary applications earlier, increased my shadowing and healthcare volunteering hours, and started working as a clinical research coordinator. The only thing standing between me and finishing my application is one stinking letter of recommendation.

My quesiton is this.... Even though I finished my secondary applications in August, my application won't be considered complete until my final letter is sent into AMCAS, right? And if this is the case, is this basically the same thing as sending in my secondaries late? For example, if my last letter isn't sent in to AMCAS until November... Is it the same thing as sending in my secondary application in November? Have I totally shot myself in the foot by waiting on this letter?

Thanks for any comments, advice, or honest feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

i mean nothing is impossible but as I understand it, schools don't look at incomplete applications so they will consider the application only when it is complete. I would arrange to have everything ready to click submit on day 1. Of course, I didnt do this the first time through but figured that one out for myself on later attempts.

For example, if my last letter isn't sent in to AMCAS until November... Is it the same thing as sending in my secondary application in November? Have I totally shot myself in the foot by waiting on this letter?

It's on you to line up your ducks.

Once in school, they throw a bunch of academic and non-academic checklists at you. You are expected to be on top of it all, from showing up to required events to chasing down that last immunization titer.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For the record I had all my ducks in a row... planned everything to a T... There are some things in life that are our of your control; like when your boss is too busy to give you the time of day. I've worked hard to get everything in order and have been hard on myself for two years trying to get into medical school. It's not the planning that's getting to me.. its's having to rely on other people to vouch for me... Thaks for your thoughts! THey are hard to hear but they do help.

If you reapply can you use the same letter of recommendations?

If you reapply can you use the same letter of recommendations?

yeah! I had my mentors submit the same LOEs except for my former coach who has been diagnosed with cancer. So I wanted to add a letter from where I currently work (KU medical center) but my new advisor wanted to know me for longer before submitting a letter in support of me. I got an interview invitation about a week after she submitted her letter because I had everthing else turned in already.

This is my second application cycle and I've done a lot to improve. I completed my primary and secondary applications earlier, increased my shadowing and healthcare volunteering hours, and started working as a clinical research coordinator. The only thing standing between me and finishing my application is one stinking letter of recommendation.

My quesiton is this.... Even though I finished my secondary applications in August, my application won't be considered complete until my final letter is sent into AMCAS, right? And if this is the case, is this basically the same thing as sending in my secondaries late? For example, if my last letter isn't sent in to AMCAS until November... Is it the same thing as sending in my secondary application in November? Have I totally shot myself in the foot by waiting on this letter?

Thanks for any comments, advice, or honest feedback!

I think it all depends how many LOR the school you're applying to needs. For example, My school only requires 5 letters of rec. My file there was considered complete after 5 even though I had a couple outstanding letters on AMCAS. Check with the specific schools. Usually the 7 (I believe that's the number) AMCAS allows is not the number each school requires. They usually let you pick and choose which letters are accessible to which school.