Reapplicant, CA --> LA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to post this in the WAMC forums as well, but as I am a re-applicant, would love feedback here as well. I applied this year broadly to MD schools; however I believe I made a mistake of applying to many public OOS schools that had small # of OOS applicants thinking I would stand a better shot. Will be revamping my school list for this upcoming application. Also wasn't complete at most schools until late Sept/through Oct which I plan to remedy as well.

Stats:
3.42 cGPA, 2.85 sGPA (taking classes with the intention of increasing it to ~3.00 by Aug)
3.7 SMP GPA
MCAT 29 - 9/11/9 (1/15), 504 (6/15)
(taken twice already, both times did not study enough ~1 month, which is a huge red flag, aiming to retake end of May, already scoring ~510 on practice tests so I'm confident I can bring it up)

ECs:
~1000 hours in clinical research
~1000 hours volunteering (hospital ED, habitat for humanity, red cross)
- worked throughout undergrad/grad program (PT freshman year, resident advisor 2nd year, senior resident advisor - 3rd and 4th yr, clinical research during grad)
- 9 months FT as a outpatient scribe (recently promoted to chief scribe in Feb)
- multiple clubs and organizations that I can go into if needed
- dancer (performing non-competitively) since the age of 10

The major change would be that I'll be switching my CA residency to Louisiana. I went to undergrad and SMP in LA, this will be my 6th year in the state. I plan to establish residency in a few months, so for application purposes, I will be a LA resident and will be able to apply to LSU-S in addition to LSU-NOLA (which I applied to OOS this year). I applied this year as a CA resident because parents insisted I try my luck at CA schools (which I know was stupid and naïve)

If you need any other information, please let me know. I didn't list all of my ECs, like other smaller clubs and organizations as well. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sub 30 MCAT and sub 3.5 cGPA aren't the best stats. Are you applying DO? The AdCom folks like @Goro would probably encourage you to do that next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Sub 30 MCAT and sub 3.5 cGPA aren't the best stats. Are you applying DO? The AdCom folks like @Goro would probably encourage you to do that next cycle.

I definitely plan to apply DO as well for next cycle in addition to the LSUs. Would you recommend applying to other MD schools (provided my MCAT score improves) or is it not worth it with my stats?