Reapplicant... GPA Improvement... Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feelingreen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys looked over my school list. :) Thank you.

URM
BCPM: 2.79
CGPA: 3.04
(these are my calculations from the 2013-2014 cycle)
Since the last cycle, I have taken 16 credits of graduate coursework, all upper division science, and have a 4.0. I hope this is enough to prove that I can handle the medical coursework.
MCAT: 30Q - 11VR 9PS 10BS

Work/Activities
450 hrs volunteer laboratory research technician (did not have any research experience last app cycle)
100 volunteer non-clinical (new)
120 physician shadowing hours (some new)
450 hours intern in hospital
420 hours as a PT tech (new experience)
800 hours through AmeriCorps (non-clinical)
260 hours as a coach (leadership) (new)
150 hours volunteer clinical
250 hours with a biology society at my undergraduate college (various volunteer work)
600 hours as a club founder and president at my undergraduate college - (leadership)

LOR:
1 from an undergraduate professor, probably just okay
1 from the national chapter of the club I started on my campus - strong
1 from interning in cardiopulm. rehab - strong
1 from pt tech - strong (new)
1 from research - probably good (new)
1 from graduate professor - strong (new)

LIST:
Creighton
Tufts
Boston University (I heard they appreciate applicants that improved GPA)**
Rush
Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
University of Colorado (this is my big reach school, but it would be nice to be near home)
Quinnipiac
University of Nevada (their website says they consider AZ applicants)
EDIT: **will probably replace with Loyola

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many DO schools are ok with an MD letter. I 'd still apply this cycle. I'd also add Cooper in NJ (MD ) and Rowan SOM (DO sister school, MCAT approx 28-30 avg), try PCOM, NYCOM, Western etc

Members don't see this ad :)
AZ Resident, URM
BCPM: 2.79
CGPA: 3.04
(these are my calculations from the 2013-2014 cycle)
Since the last cycle, I have taken 16 credits of graduate coursework, all upper division science, and have a 4.0. I hope this is enough to prove that I can handle the medical coursework.

Schools will still see the 3.04/2.79 and trash your application, unfortunately. What amounts to one semester of graduate level coursework doesn't change anything. Boston, Tufts, and Colorado are out of the question at the very least. What community do you represent? If Hispanic, nationality of origin?

Retaking some of the courses you did poorly in and applying to DO might be a better option.

I think Baylor is not optimal for you. Ignore the religious backgrounds of school except for LUCOM and Loma Linda.

I was also wondering if I am competitive enough for Baylor in TX. Also, just an FYI I did not add Drexel because I do not have a non-science professor LOR and I did not add Loyola because of the Jesuit background.

I don't think a single semester's worth of classes (which is what 16 credits represent) is enough to convince Adcoms you can handle medical school just yet.

Although with my GPA people will recommend I apply to 20+ schools, I am trying to go for quality in my application and not overwhelm myself with secondaries and interviews. My goal is to create a nice, reasonable, concise list where I have a good shot at securing interviews.

For the vast majority of DO programs, you don't need a DO LOR. It helps if you have one. If you're in driving distance of the two AZ DO schools (or TUNCOM), go visit them and chat up the DO faculty. They love that.

As far as DO programs, I do not have a letter from a physician despite my clinical experience. This is not for lack of trying, but the physicians I shadowed were apart of my internship experience and I shadowed a different physician during a different procedure nearly every time. It was hard to create a consistent relationship. My goal is that during this upcoming gap year, I will be able to secure a letter so that I can apply DO in the next cycle if necessary (fingers crossed I get in this cycle!) or possibly soon enough for this cycle since their deadlines are later. I think I would be okay at my two instate DO schools, Midwestern and AT Still.

Thank you for any advice![/QUOTE]