Reapplicant GPA3.73 MCAT 513 school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penguinlove123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a reapplicant and looking for some advice on what my chances are for reapplying this cycle, or taking another gap year and trying again next cycle. During gap year, I would continue research, build up more volunteer and shadow hours. Maybe I should look into DO?

Right now, leaning towards taking my chances and reapplying this cycle

Last cycle: 1 II, 1 WL. Took the MCAT in mid July, primary verified late August, secondaries September-october
  1. cGPA 3.73 sGPA3.73 - went down from 3.75/3.74 from last application :(
  2. MCAT1: 30 (10PS, 8VR, 12BS) MCAT2: 513 (130PS, 128CARS, 130BS, 125PSYC)
  3. IL resident (permanent resident, not sure if that's a disadvantage to being US citizen?)
  4. Asian
  5. Graduated from IL state school
  6. ~150 hrs hospital volunteering
  7. 3 years research, senior thesis
  8. ~50 hrs shadowing ER
  9. ~250 hrs nonclinical volunteering
  10. Lots of leadership in service organization, mentoring freshman science majors, mentoring freshman researchers in my lab
  11. Awards: Graduated with distinction? Is that an award? Otherwise, just dean's list
  12. Since my last application: Graduated December 2015. So August-December: continued with research, nonclinical volunteering, hospital volunteering. December-now: got full-time research job at a different lab
  13. School list: I am a reapplicant at bolded schools
NYMC
SUNY downstate
Albany
Stony Brook
Albert Einstein
NJMS
RFU
UIC
Loyola

Hersey
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Quinnipiac
MCW
Oakland
SLU
Cincinnati
Reach:
NYU (dream school)
Georgetown
Brown

SO is starting dental school at NYU this fall, hence so many NY schools on my list. I reeeeeally would love to stay close, so preferably east coast schools, although I'm not sure if I'm being realistic about my chances, being from the midwest. I would love suggestions on realistic east coast schools for me, and if not, realistic schools in general. Although I would HATE it, I think med school>SO at this point in my life.. But I'm not sure.. I don't want to have to choose

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can delete NJMS since they strongly prefer New Jersey residents. Other schools you could add where you have a chance for an interview with your stats include:
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane
GW
Vermont
Seton Hall (if it opens in 2017)
You could also apply to the 2 DO schools in the NYC area and you are competitive for all DO schools.
It is also possible you could be accepted off the wait list in the next month.

@Faha NJMS is actually the only school that gave me an II last cycle and I am currently waitlisted there, although I agree, chances of me getting in is highly unlikely. For DO schools, I'd have to find a DO to shadow. Considering all of this, do you think I should go ahead and apply this cycle? Or wait for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha NJMS is actually the only school that gave me an II last cycle and I am currently waitlisted there, although I agree, chances of me getting in is highly unlikely. For DO schools, I'd have to find a DO to shadow. Considering all of this, do you think I should go ahead and apply this cycle? Or wait for next cycle?
You have a good GPA and good MCAT so go ahead and apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. The DO cycle last longer and not all schools require a DO letter. You would need to check with each school to see if they require one.

You have a good GPA and good MCAT so go ahead and apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. The DO cycle last longer and not all schools require a DO letter. You would need to check with each school to see if they require one.
Thanks for your advice! :)