Reapplicant - help with DO list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplecricket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The waitlist saga continues, so I'm working on getting ready for next year. I applied both DO and MD this year, ended up w/ 2 MD interviews and 1 DO, ended in all wait lists but I'm pretty sure part of that was that I applied to too few DO schools and submitted my secondaries too late.

AACOMAS Stats:
Virginia resident
MCAT: Old (from 2013): 28, last year: 506, so not much difference :\
GPA: cumulative uGPA: 3.37, undergrad science: 3.28, grad science: 3.85, cumulative grad 3.87
I did a graduate certificate (basically structured like an SMP, taught by med school professors, but no master's at the end), and then got my master's the following summer.

I have about 70 hrs of physician shadowing (most from 2012), but only ~15 of that is with DOs specifically. Should I get some newer/more DO shadowing experience? Also, if I were to apply next cycle (2017-2018) would it be terrible to use a DO LOR from 2015?

ETA: Since I'm taking a year to regroup, I am willing to retake the MCAT or take some extra classes if necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply broadly and you should receive several interviews. Schools to consider with your stats:
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WVSOM
CUSOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
LECOM (both schools)
PCOM (both schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
NSU-COM
More DO shadowing would help
For MD school you could take additional undergraduate courses in the next year to increase your GPA to above 3.4. Avoid difficult courses. Unless you can obtain practice scores on the MCAT consistently above 512 there is no point in taking the MCAT again.

Reactions: 1 user