Reapplicant. How easy is it to switch into EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawn91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for radiology this past year and didn't match into anything. I wanted to be a radiologist in third year because of what I had heard and read about the field. However, when I did my 4th year rads rotation, I was not impressed. Nevertheless, I was so far into the process that I did not think much about switching specialty choices at that point. I am currently not in a residency and am working in a research lab (Its a job). My current plan is to apply again this year.

During my soul-searching, I realized that I had fun on my 4th year EM rotation. It seemed like a good fit for my personality. However, I had not considered it seriously at that time because this rotation was before my radiology rotation. After finding out that I did not match, I looked into EM as a possible career choice but I was discouraged because it requires SLOEs and away rotations. My 4th year EM rotation cannot give me a SLOE as that place does not have an EM residency.

Because I would like to go into a career that best fits me and be happy for the rest of my life, what are my options for a possible career in EM?

I am in 3rd quartile of my class. step 1: 250. step 2: 230 (didn't study as hard as I did the first time).

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Barring any other red flags, you should be able to match. However, you won't be able to apply this cycle because nobody will interview you for emergency medicine without any SLOEs. On the last program survey, about 80% of programs require 1 SLOE to offer an interview and 20% require 2 SLOEs to offer an interview.

Thanks for the reply! How do I get a SLOE after graduating from medical school? Is there a way?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you not match into radiology?

Reactions: 2 users
More importantly, how did you not scramble into a spot? Surely SOME residency would have been better than no residency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I applied for radiology this past year and didn't match into anything.

I am in 3rd quartile of my class. step 1: 250. step 2: 230 (didn't study as hard as I did the first time).

99% US seniors w/ scores 241-250 matched radiology in 2014 and most likely similar numbers matched last year. The question to ask yourself is why you were in the 1%. We need a lot more information to assess as EM is more competitive than radiology.

Were you a US senior? Did you only apply to big name programs on the coasts? How many programs did you interview at and not rank? Have you done a mock interview and what was the feedback?

Based on your stats, you should have had no problems matching radiology, unless you failed to mention obvious red flags. It just doesn't add up.

Reactions: 2 users
Barring any other red flags, you should be able to match.

I agree with this, but I think the OP should be warned that he has an uphill battle in front of him. I think a realistic game plan would be as follows:

1) Match into a Transitional Year or Prelim Medicine program, preferably at a program with an EM residency.

2) Front load your schedule with elective(s) in EM so you can obtain your SLOE's.

3) Apply during your intern year to EM.

4) In the meantime, it would be a good idea to do some research or something EM related, to show that you are dedicated to the field and not just thinking of it as a back-up option, which it is not (evidenced by how uphill of a battle you will be facing).​

So realistically, I think it will take you another couple years to match into EM, but if you are willing to put that in, then you can do it (barring any unmentioned red flags).

We need a lot more information to assess as EM is more competitive than radiology.

Is that really true?? I know radiology took a hit and EM is becoming more popular, but I didn't know that EM is now more competitive than rads. Such a dramatic change from a few years ago!

You will have an uphill battle.

Your best bet will be to figure out some way to do a rotation at a program with a residency and get a SLOE.
This will be hard to do and likely won't happen in the next 2 months, which is what you would need in order to have a letter to apply in this cycle.
Without this, your application will not really be competitive.
Doing a research year now, and not an intern year will be a negative as far as EM.

In my honest opinion you will have a very hard time matching into EM.

Is that really true?? I know radiology took a hit and EM is becoming more popular, but I didn't know that EM is now more competitive than rads. Such a dramatic change from a few years ago!

Yes, by basically all measures except average step scores. The 2016 match outcomes will come out in September, so we'll have even more data.

For the 2016 match (and past few years), 99% of US Senior applicants that ONLY applied to radiology matched, compared to 94.1% for EM. In the past 5 years, there were two instances that 0 unfilled spots were left for EM (last year it was EM-IM spot), while ranging from 0-6 unfilled spots. Radiology has had 24-55 unfilled spots last few years even though it has a few hundred less overall spots. Also, for EM 78% were filled by US Seniors, as opposed to 67% for rads (only 58% in 2015, so it's gotten a bit better).