Reapplicant - Input please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myinterest22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IL resident. Canadian science recent undergrad from a top university. sGPA 3.65, CGPA 3.68, MCAT 32, repeat 29.
1 research paper in publication and 1 research presentation in regional medical conference (cadeaver lab experience and radiology techniques),
More than 500 hours of volunteering in palliative care facility (during grade 11 and grade 12) - attending to patients
More than 100 hours volunteering in bio-liver surgery/research unit attached to a hospital
More than 200 hours volunteering in dialysis clinic with patients
50 hours as a TA
More than 250 hours in patient transportation and pediatric ward
More than 100 hours volunteering in Neurological ward attending to patients
1 year paid intern (300 hours) in a eco-sustainability initiative on campus
VP of medical club on campus - 1 year

2015-2016 cycle outcome - 32 applications - 1 interview, 1 alternate list

School applied
Univ of Illinois
Loyola
Rush
Southern Illinois
U chicago
Wayne state
Michigan state
Oakland
Univ of cincinnati
Wright state
Ohio state
Univ of minnesota
Univ of rochester
Hofstra
Suny buffalo
Cooper
rutgers
Temple
Sidney kimmel
Commonwealth
University of Virginia
Tufts
Boston
GWU
Uwisconcin
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth

Secondaries were completed between August 13 - August 31.

Appreciate any input..what should I work on?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Give consideration to DO schools if you want to start school ASAP.
2) Go through MSAR and see how many schools matriculated >2 internationals in the past year with an MCAT median around 31-33. In other words, see if there were schools you didnt apply to that could be realistic targets. Look for schools you wont be a reapp at.
3) In terms of your application everybody volunteers in hospitals and does research. What else can you bring to the table that will make you really stand out? That's where your app doesnt have that much else. Non clinical service particularly with the least fortunate and most vulnerable populations is an avenue to look at. This is something US schools value highly and it's something alot fewer people have than we might realize. Likewise, try to find other ECs that can make you stand out and distinguish yourself.
4) Revamp the written parts of your app. New essays, a new focus to your app, new direction and selling point of your app etc. Presentation of your accomplishments and effectively highlighting "why medicine" is as important in and of itself of what you have actually accomplished.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you are in fact an international here is the appropriate frame of reference to use in analyzing where you stand:

Average stats for international matriculants: GPA: 3.75 MCAT: 33.6 +/-3.4
Your stats: GPA: 3.62 MCAT: 31ish(factoring in multiple attempts)
In the US 43% of applicants matriculate in a given year. For internationals, it's about 15-20%. The latter is a bit misleading because there are definitely those who are accepted but matriculate outside the US but the point is it's pretty obvious things are clearly harder for internationals. Historically about 60% of people with a 3.6/31ish who apply in the US are accepted. We dont know how much lower it is for Canadians, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was closer to say around 35% historically for Canadians.

Essentially with an MCAT that isnt too far from being 1 SD below average for international matriculants you are behind the eight ball. In this case you are competing with a very large number of applicants with academic credentials like yours for a select number of spots. You really need something to distinguish you and carry you here. EC's are fine for a US citizen, but as you could tell this cycle there probably just isnt quite enough to carry you and the <average stats as as an international here.

In terms of what you can do from here
1) Worth considering a US SMP with direct linkage. There really arent too many stories on SDN of internationals pursuing this path and it's worth really looking into it to see if it is realistic for an international and how schools will look at you. But this has the potential to definitely be your best route if MD is the end goal.
2) Consider DO. Obviously the DO route is a little different for Canadians but this also has to be thrown out there.
3) Go through MSAR and see how many schools matriculated >2 internationals in the past year with an MCAT median around 31-33. In other words, see if there were schools you didnt apply to that could be realistic targets. My guess is there wont be many of these though. If anything your list was too long last cycle(schools like SIU or Pritzker were never even going to consider you).
4) In terms of your application everybody volunteers in hospitals and does research. What else can you bring to the table that will make you really stand out? That's where your app doesnt have that much else. Non clinical service particularly with the least fortunate and most vulnerable populations is an avenue to look at. This is something US schools value highly and it's something alot fewer people have than we might realize. Likewise, try to find other ECs that can make you stand out and distinguish yourself.
5) Revamp the written parts of your app. New essays, a new focus to your app, new direction and selling point of your app etc. Presentation of your accomplishments and effectively highlighting "why medicine" is as important in and of itself of what you have actually accomplished.

Thanks a ton for the input on how to make the application stand out. I am a US permanent resident although have a Canadian undergrad degree. I am in-state Illinois for all practical purposes as I have a home. Not sure if Canadian undergrad degree from a top-notch school is also viewed differently for US residents applying to med schools?.

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad completely overlooked the IL resident part

Your application by and large looks fine on the surface. Your service and clinical exp might have been a little light for Rush( avg matriculant has 800 and 1800 hrs respectively there). SIU also really only considers those from the south and central parts of the state

I really only counted 7 schools you could call targets on your list that you could say going in you have a reasonable shot at a II. In Il if you aren't from the south central part of the state that's often not enough.

Still having said that it is somewhat surprise you only got 1 II. Something might have been off with the written parts of your app. Try calling some schools, particularly UIC, for feedback. The same idea of presentation of your accomplishments and answering why medicine is crucial here and could be contributing to the lack of IIs

Much of what I said above still stands. Consider other ways to stand out and boost your app. I probably would try another app cycle before considering an SMP but if MD is your end goal you'll have to consider it if after 2 cycles you still can't get an acceptance. Go through MSAR and target schools with an mcat median around yours that take at least 20% OOS where you aren't a reapplicant at. W Michigan and Creighton are two good examples of types to target

Wayne State, Rutgers, Michigan State, Wright State, Ohio State, Minnesota, SUNY Buffalo, Cooper, UVA and Wisconsin accept very few non residents with your stats. Schools you could add include:
Albany
New York Medical
Vermont
Drexel
Georgetown
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Roseman (new school tentative for 2017)

Thank you both for additional input. You both seems to be very knowledgeable and willing to share input.

I have recently secured full-time research internship in neuro radiology with numerous opportunities for publications.

I have two plans: Plan A - Reapply for 2017 application cycle to school which more closely aligns with my stats, Submit secondaries in late June or as soon as it opens. Diligently work on new MCAT and retake it in Jan 2017, in case current cycle yields poorly despite all the changes.

Plan B - Post-bacc in a good US school - go all out to excel and not retaking MCAT - reapply 2018 application cycle. drop 2017 application year.

Thoughts...please

You keep emphasizing research but you need to think about your deficits! Research is gravy at most schools, focus on what @GrapesofRath recommended about non-clinical volunteering. I am not sure if US resident and having state residency are the same so you may still have some effects from being Canadian. GL

You need to DO schools to the list. The MCAT retake and lower score is hurting you, badly.
You keep emphasizing research but you need to think about your deficits! Research is gravy at most schools, focus on what @GrapesofRath recommended about non-clinical volunteering. I am not sure if US resident and having state residency are the same so you may still have some effects from being Canadian. GL

I am taking your advise on continuing my volunteering with the disadvantaged as well as sustainability initiatives to balance my non-clinical activities. Still in a dilemma whether to do post-bac or not. I spoke with UIC. The nice gentleman told me that "my GPA and MCAT were fine but said that decline could be due to essays or application...he could not categorically confirm.

Appreciate thoughts on whether I should pursue post-bacc? Instead focus my efforts on submitting early for 2017 cycle and fix application content deficiencies.

Your GPA is NOT the issue.

I am taking your advise on continuing my volunteering with the disadvantaged as well as sustainability initiatives to balance my non-clinical activities. Still in a dilemma whether to do post-bac or not. I spoke with UIC. The nice gentleman told me that "my GPA and MCAT were fine but said that decline could be due to essays or application...he could not categorically confirm.

Appreciate thoughts on whether I should pursue post-bacc? Instead focus my efforts on submitting early for 2017 cycle and fix application content deficiencies.

Any fixes you do after your application is submitted do not count. Some schools may take them into account later in a cycle if they are struggling to decide between two applicants, but realistically they don't count the vast majority of the time.

Just my opinion, but I see your best option as spending a year doing everything you can to get your ECs up. Spend as much time as possible volunteering anywhere and everywhere you can and maybe work in some sort of service job to build skills (I did 6 months in an Americorps job).

You might retake the mcat if you want to prove the last score was a total fluke (MUST get as good or better than the equivalent of a 32 (sorry I am not the best at the conversions yet)). Update essays as recommended and make sure you knock the interview out of the park. Don't waste your money on classes unless you want to stay fresh and can afford it. I took 1-2 classes for several terms just to challenge myself in upper level classes but I was lucky to have discounted tuition from my job. It is not your big problem though, so only do it to keep improving yourself. (Maybe study a foreign language or learn how to weld or something random for fun and to diversify your app.)

When you reapply you need to show you have continued to explore the world and the people in it, and that you still choose medicine. You also need to show you are prepared and have gained perspective, so do excellently in your pursuits and get some additional LORs if possible! I hope this makes sense, I have been studying all day and my brain is fried so sorry if it is rambly.
GL I think you can do well!

thank you all...btw...the wait-listed school offered me automatic acceptance into post-bacc program.

Does accepting this post-bacc right away improve my ranking in waitlist order for MD at this school? any thoughts?

I have sent two solid updates covering both non-clinical and clinical work as well as a letter from the MD who mentored me on research.

Are you even listening? Your GPA is NOT the issue. A post-bac would be a huge waste of money when the time spent doing that could be invested in something else more meaningful (ex. volunteering/ helping the underserved etc)...I'm going to go ahead and ask. What was the reason behind the retake? expiring? If your score of 32 was about to expire then that is the thing that is hurting you the most in my opinion. If that score was not about to expire then that was just really bad thinking on your part... Furthermore, you really need to include some DO schools (don't include DO if MD is what you strongly prefer)

Are you even listening? Your GPA is NOT the issue. A post-bac would be a huge waste of money when the time spent doing that could be invested in something else more meaningful (ex. volunteering/ helping the underserved etc)...I'm going to go ahead and ask. What was the reason behind the retake? expiring? If your score of 32 was about to expire then that is the thing that is hurting you the most in my opinion. If that score was not about to expire then that was just really bad thinking on your part... Furthermore, you really need to include some DO schools (don't include DO if MD is what you strongly prefer)

shotapp..thanks for the honest feedback. MCAT retake was an attempt at improving but backfired badly with a lower score. MCAT is valid for the 2017 cycle in most schools and 2018 for some. I have heard Post-bac is wasted effort with my GPA. When a school where I am waitlisted offered me post-bacc, I was thinking whether accepting will improve my chances of being pulled from current waitlist.

thanks again

Hi there,
I'm so sorry to be posting on this thread, but I am also in a similar situation as you. My overall GPA is a 3.57 and MCAT is a 32, with a 28 retake score (sigh). I retook my MCAT from a 32 (12PS, 8V, 12BS), because I was worried that my lackluster verbal score would hurt my chances. In addition to this, I didnt apply to my selection of schools early enough (primary app submitted in July, verified in August). My primary app is almost ready for early submission. i was wondering whether anyone can suggest some schools for me to apply to this cycle? I am also an illinois resident.

Hi there,
I'm so sorry to be posting on this thread, but I am also in a similar situation as you. My overall GPA is a 3.57 and MCAT is a 32, with a 28 retake score (sigh). I retook my MCAT from a 32 (12PS, 8V, 12BS), because I was worried that my lackluster verbal score would hurt my chances. In addition to this, I didnt apply to my selection of schools early enough (primary app submitted in July, verified in August). My primary app is almost ready for early submission. i was wondering whether anyone can suggest some schools for me to apply to this cycle? I am also an illinois resident.
You really need your own thread...