Reapplicant, need advice regarding school choice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endlesswait

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I previously posted a thread asking you guys about opinions on my reapplication.

I really appreciate your sincere replies, ideas, and inputs.

As the new application cycle is coming pretty soon, I am trying to make a list of dental schools that I will be applying to.

Since it is my 2nd time of applying and this one is going to be my last chance, I want to have as much as possibilities to get in, and I need your advice on school choices.

First of all, here is my status:
- CA resident, green card holder (not a citizen, not a native speaker).
- DAT: AA 22, TS 24, PAT 21 / sGPA: 3.81, oGPA: 3.89 (took all of my pre-req at cc, UC biochem major with Cum Laude in year of 2015).
- 1500 hours of dental assistant (including shadowing, 160 hours or so), and working as a full-time dental assistant now.
- No research experience.
- Over 200 volunteer/community hours, currently doing volunteer works on my off-days in 2 orgnizations.
- Decent EC activities.

Here are my school of picks so far:
USC
UCLA
UCSF
UoP
Western
Univeresity of Connecticut
University of Colorado
Midwestern
Harvard
University of Michigan
Columbia
NYU
Case Western
U Penn
University of Nevada
University of Washington
University of Minnesota
University of Maryland

Do you guys see if there is any OOS friendly school that I missed or non-OOS-friendly school on the list??

Please give me your opinions and thoughts about the list.

Thank you and hope you guys have fruitful 3-day weekend!

P.S.: Is there any one who can go over my personal statement? :O

Members don't see this ad.

I was also a CA applicant and glancing through my list, the OOS friendly schools from the 2014 ADEA Guide included:

Arizona (74%)
LECOM (56%)
Midwestern Arizona (69%)
Midwestern Illinois (63%)
Rutgers (24%) Seems low, but I interviewed there and it's a great school
Temple (50%)
Pittsburgh (41%)
Tennessee (48%)
Marquette (50%)

*I also applied to Boston and Tufts, even with the CC credit cap, and got an interview at Tufts.

This isn't taking into account each school's requirements for pre-req courses. Some of them require microbio, anatomy, physio, etc. so there were a handful that I wouldn't qualify for.

It's been a while, so I'm not sure if I made this list after taking into account bordering-state preference, but I believe I did.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also a CA applicant and glancing through my list, the OOS friendly schools from the 2014 ADEA Guide included:

Arizona (74%)
LECOM (56%)
Midwestern Arizona (69%)
Midwestern Illinois (63%)
Rutgers (24%) Seems low, but I interviewed there and it's a great school
Temple (50%)
Pittsburgh (41%)
Tennessee (48%)
Marquette (50%)

*I also applied to Boston and Tufts, even with the CC credit cap, and got an interview at Tufts.

This isn't taking into account each school's requirements for pre-req courses. Some of them require microbio, anatomy, physio, etc. so there were a handful that I wouldn't qualify for.

It's been a while, so I'm not sure if I made this list after taking into account bordering-state preference, but I believe I did.
Thank you so much for detailed input. I didn't know Tufts would give out interviews to students who took pre-req at CC at all! :D