Reapplicant need advice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpatel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, I applied to 13 schools last year. And only 4 of which were realistic enough. The other ones did not take out of states or required higher stats.

So I am going to be applying to ~20 schools this year. Should I rewrite PS? The 4 schools I ll be reapplying include my instate schools.

My GPA ~3.9. MCAT 31L ( 12 physcial, 11 biological, 8 verbal). Verbal is what I am worried about and combined with low writing score might hit red flag. I really do not know how I got that low writing but I am going to emphasize somewhere English is my secondary language.

I have pretty below average ECs:

1 year tutoring in orgo, chem and phys
~45 hours volunterring at hospital
~70 hours total shadowing with 2 doctors
~150 hours volunterr/shadowing at a dental clinic
semester of research with some grad students. I ran HPLC experiment every Monday. It might not be as real with a faculty but its better than nothing.

Last application cycle, I only had volunteering.shadowing at dental clinic. So it is kind of a big improvement.

My list of schools include 4 in pennsylavania and pretty much all private schools with some exception.

How do you guys think I will do this cycle if I make sure to apply early.

Members don't see this ad.

Your hospital volunteer hours are still somewhat pitiful (sorry to be blunt). Many applicants apply with 150+ hours in addition to shadowing. Although definitely an improvement over last year, I think adcoms may still question your motivations for medicine, especially when you have more dental volunteer/shadowing hours than medical. If you apply this year though, definitely apply early and more broadly. Continue with your volunteering and make sure to update schools about it. If I were in your shoes though, I would wait a year to REALLY beef up those ECs. Also, I'm not sure if you only neglected to include other experiences, but hopefully you have some kind of leadership, research, work experience, and other non-medical community service as well. If not, well that's just another reason why I would wait a year because so far the only thing that really stands out about your application is your GPA.

IF I wait another year, I ll have to sit at home for 2 years. I just dont know what to do. I ll def apply to DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
IF I wait another year, I ll have to sit at home for 2 years. I just dont know what to do. I ll def apply to DO schools

Don't "sit at home". Go out, volunteer in clinical & non-clinical settings. Find a job and save up some money. Stay productive. Maybe get an EMT license - you could earn some cash and get more patient experience. Show adcoms that you're willing to do more than just the bare minimum to get into medical school.

I'm not sure how well DO schools would be receptive to your lack of volunteering either. Although your stats would definitely be above average (especially your GPA), DO schools tend to place less importance on GPA/MCAT and even more importance on the quality and time spent on ECs.

Last edited:
If you follow the advice above (re-write PS, further build your ECs, volunteer, get a job (preferable in health care) etc.) and apply early, you'll do well this cycle.

I think a good minimum number of schools is 20. With your stats, I would not bother with anything in the Top 20. I think you would be a good candidate for Rush, UIC, Jefferson etc. You should do well at D.O. schools. It's also very important to get the MSAR and study schools in-depth before you apply (for example, there is no point applying to UC-Irvine or U of Arizona if you are not from those states).

Given your GPA, I wouldn't take more classes. I would instead focus on the other aspects of your application.

Another area, mentioned less frequently, is to get some practice for interviews before you go to them (friends, parents, teachers etc.). All practice is good practice.

How do you guys think I will do this cycle if I make sure to apply early.

If you follow the advice above (re-write PS, further build your ECs, volunteer, get a job (preferable in health care) etc.) and apply early, you'll do well this cycle.

Unfortunately, this cycle is already here. It's mid-May and June (when people start submitting for verification) is right around the corner. I still am of the opinion that the OP will not be able to improve his/her ECs enough to really show that medicine wasn't a last minute decision for this cycle. Keep in mind that planned future activites can't be included on AMCAS.

Thanks for pointing that out (totally forgot it's May and applications start in June).

Plan B would be to apply as is but apply very, very broadly (30 schools with some DO schools thrown in).

Unfortunately, this cycle is already here. It's mid-May and June (when people start submitting for verification) is right around the corner. I still am of the opinion that the OP will not be able to improve his/her ECs enough to really show that medicine wasn't a last minute decision for this cycle. Keep in mind that planned future activites can't be included on AMCAS.

I really do not know how I got that low writing but I am going to emphasize somewhere English is my secondary language.

That seems like a good idea. Did you fill out the language stuff on AMCAS?
Have you explored the various classifications of disadvantaged status?

How much time to you put into your PS? did you have writing professionals read it over?

Good luck!

I think I am just going to apply. I ll work on my ECs especially volunteering at hospital over the summer. Hopefully, I ll update it and some schools will like that. This whole application process is really annoying.

Last year I applied, I really thought getting into medical school was going to be a joke especially with my good GPA. Moreover, I was scoring like 35s in practice. Until real one threw me off when I took it in July. Also my application last year was late and I was heading towards disaster. At least I pulled off 1 interview which was reject.

I am just going to take a deep breath and hopefully I ll end up somewhere in DO if not MD.

Well if you're going to go for it, then take a deep breath and submit early this year. Be sure to cast a wide net. Good luck! Post an update to let us know how you're faring as the cycle progresses.

Maybe I am confused here but the OP has a 3.9 GPA and a 31 MCAT right? Then why is everyone pointing him in the direction of DO? That's fine if the OP is interested in going that route but if he/she wants to do MD well then it is totally reasonable to assume that he or she will get in to an MD school somewhere.

As for the low verbal score and the lack of volunteering, well I am sure the volunteering will take care of itself prior to applying this summer - assuming the OP has found a volunteering opportunity and continues to volunteer throughout the application season. The OP already has some, which will help when viewed in the light of continued volunteering at the time of app.

The MCAT could be retaken if needed and research is only a requirement at the top research schools. I think if the OP applies very early and broadly then he/she has a good chance at getting in somewhere, assuming his/her PS, essays, and interviewing skills are good.

Maybe I am confused here but the OP has a 3.9 GPA and a 31 MCAT right? Then why is everyone pointing him in the direction of DO? That's fine if the OP is interested in going that route but if he/she wants to do MD well then it is totally reasonable to assume that he or she will get in to an MD school somewhere.

As for the low verbal score and the lack of volunteering, well I am sure the volunteering will take care of itself prior to applying this summer - assuming the OP has found a volunteering opportunity and continues to volunteer throughout the application season. The OP already has some, which will help when viewed in the light of continued volunteering at the time of app.

The MCAT could be retaken if needed and research is only a requirement at the top research schools. I think if the OP applies very early and broadly then he/she has a good chance at getting in somewhere, assuming his/her PS, essays, and interviewing skills are good.

Yaaaaayy. finally something positive

Your stats are fine.

What you need to do is get more MD related clinical experience and apply early (beginning of June) with your AMCAS.

Also, visit your instate schools and become more than numbers and become a face.

I can see the lack of clinical experience the biggest issue.

He posted earlier in the topic that he will apply to DO schools in order to try to avoid staying at home for two years, which ensued further discussion about DO schools. It's not like any bad advice was given, but rather realistic advice.

OP, I think where you're lacking is ECs like moo said. It seems like the 150 hours in dental clinics you have is more than any of your other ECs, which are scarce and to me it raises a red flag. To me it would seem adcoms would doubt whether you are really interested in medicine or dental.

He posted earlier in the topic that he will apply to DO schools in order to try to avoid staying at home for two years, which ensued further discussion about DO schools. It's not like any bad advice was given, but rather realistic advice.

OP, I think where you're lacking is ECs like moo said. It seems like the 150 hours in dental clinics you have is more than any of your other ECs, which are scarce and to me it raises a red flag. To me it would seem adcoms would doubt whether you are really interested in medicine or dental.

Well i never applied to dental schools. Its not something I want to do. but if i did apply to dental school last year man I would have easily gotten in especially with my darn good DATs. It was kind of stupid studying for DATs and MCAT at the same time in like month and half I had to study. But o well, dental was never for me. so I can easily tell them I never even bothered applying to dental schools.

Well i never applied to dental schools. Its not something I want to do. but if i did apply to dental school last year man I would have easily gotten in especially with my darn good DATs. It was kind of stupid studying for DATs and MCAT at the same time in like month and half I had to study. But o well, dental was never for me. so I can easily tell them I never even bothered applying to dental schools.

Your challenge is not to convince adcoms that you're not interested in dentistry. Your challenge is to convince them that you ARE interested in medicine. There is a subtle, but very important, difference.

Your challenge is not to convince adcoms that you're not interested in dentistry. Your challenge is to convince them that you ARE interested in medicine. There is a subtle, but very important, difference.

Well when u apply through AMCAS, its pretty much clear your interested in medicine. Also my whole PS is about why I want to go into medicine. And i ll mention why not dentisty when I list EC in dental clinic for AMCAS. so thats easy job.

Well when u apply through AMCAS, its pretty much clear your interested in medicine. Also my whole PS is about why I want to go into medicine. And i ll mention why not dentisty when I list EC in dental clinic for AMCAS. so thats easy job.
Essays only show a partial truth. Sure you can write a kick-ass essay, but it's not enough to convince adcoms you are interested in medicine. You have to show it in other ways - volunteer works and ECs.