reapplicant next steps - MD vs DO vs SMP/post bacc vs americorps vs med related job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingcookies

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a Canadian citizen with illinois residency. I graduated in 3 yrs with an overall GPA of 3.57 and have MCAT scores 32 (12 PS/8V/12 BS), and 28 (retake) (11 PS/7V/10 BS).
Have volunteer experiences in palliative care in India, dialysis patients and large hospital settings. 1000+ hours
TA experience during undergrad
Workshop facilitator for sexual assault centre - went to high schools and did consent workshops
geriatric health leadership experience
sustainability internship
CT scan cancer imaging research with radiologist
radiotracer chemistry research
Volunteer at homeless shelter for Indigenous peoples.
All of these have been done for 1 year + and most have been done throughout undergrad.
Last year, I applied to around 30 schools and am currently waitlisted at 1 school. I have sent in my primary app already for the 2017 cycle. I was wondering what are some next steps that you could perhaps suggest. Should I also apply to DO programs? If so, which DO schools would be some good options. What should I do during this gap year that would maximize my chances of getting in to medical school? Should I do an SMP or post bacc or a non thesis masters program? any chance at some MD schools?
I am also currently studying for MCAT 2015 - but the scores will be too late for this cycle.
Would really appreciate some input and direction. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Don't reapply with the same app.

Your MCAT 2nd score is killing you. Especially that 7. In your shoes 32->28 would have me VERY concerned about misery in med school. Getting in isn't the hard part. AT ALL. There are forty bazillion hours-long multiple choice tests between you and being board certified, and the tests in your future are MUCH higher stakes. Questions fill the screen, which is one reason why verbal score matters.

You can apply DO this summer if you want. If so, do the work to understand what this means - don't expect or trust simple instructions from anonymous strangers. Read aacom.org, read school admissions websites, read SDN for consensus opinions. You have time.

Keep up your ECs but understand that your ECs are not a problem.

Try to get feedback from schools on problems other than the MCAT. Find out if your interviewing is weak. Most advice from schools is cookie cutter so you have to be the grownup in charge of straightening out the advice against your strengths & weaknesses.

An SMP doesn't help your MCAT problem and your GPA is too high to spend $50k on one.

tl;dr: close your AMCAS. Either go nuts on a DO app in the next few months, or go nuts on an MCAT retake before April.

Best of luck to you.

Your stats alone block any chances at US MD schools. You're OK for the ~14 DO schools that take internationals. Mine requires green card or citizenship, alas. Agree with the wise DrMidlife that the poorer 2nd score on MCAT will hurt.

thank you so much for your feedback. To clarify, I have a green card with Illinois residency. Hence, I am eligible to apply to most schools. Even with an early application to MD schools more likely to accept lower stats - which i didnt apply in my first try, would this also be too risky??

Last edited: