Reapplicant. No interview the first time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted632431

Soooo I am afraid I am not going to get any II this cycle because of my less than average MCAT score or because they just don't like me :/

Is there anyone who didn't get any IIs the first time they applied, but got interviews the second time of applying? If so, what did you do differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been doing anything to work on your application for the past year? or has little changed about your application? There are absolutely people that have been accepted the second time around after having minimal success the first time. What they did differently was work on the weak points of their application. Look at yourself and make that evaluation. Have you addressed what was weak about your application the first time?

Reactions: 1 users
I applied late in the cycle last year and didn't get any II invites. This year, I made sure to apply early and got an II! I only made a few changes to my application. I advise applying superrrr early!

Members don't see this ad :)
Soooo I am afraid I am not going to get any II this cycle because of my less than average MCAT score or because they just don't like me :/

Is there anyone who didn't get any IIs the first time they applied, but got interviews the second time of applying? If so, what did you do differently?

Are you re-applying without any improvements to your application? Why didn't you retake the MCAT if it was so subpar?

IF you haven't improved your app substantially, you should expect similar fate especially at the same schools. Did you do any research or talk to adcomms or your pre-med adviser about what you should do differently?

I applied last year for the first time and didn't receive any IIs. I applied early too. Had a ~31 MCAT the first time, but a solid GPA. It hit me pretty hard and like you I was worried that I would suffer the same fate when I reapplied. Nevertheless, I took some big steps to improve my app. I retook the MCAT after re-studying for about 10ish weeks. I was able to improve by a good amount. I added a full-time job and research experience (that I lacked) to my new app. I redid my personal statement. I snagged two new letters of recommendation and retired a letter that may have been weaker than the others.

This time around, my luck has been pretty good. I applied about a week and a half later than I did last time, but I still received 4 IIs so far (3 were from schools I had applied to previously, 1 was from a new school I added). I really think that it was the MCAT improvement that was responsible for my good luck (in addition to my other minor changes). Anyway, when it comes to application you need to have significant improvements and changes to your application to turn your luck around (unless you applied late last time or had a tiny school list). Anything less than that will not impress the people reviewing your application a second time. In this day and age, it takes a lot of win over today's admissions committees especially as a re-applicant (they will scrutinize your application even more -- it's really an uphill battle).

Best of luck

I think my first message might have been misleading. I am a first time applicant, but I think I will not get an interview because of my low MCAT score. I just wondering what you guys did to improve the second time of applying.

I think my first message might have been misleading. I am a first time applicant, but I think I will not get an interview because of my low MCAT score. I just wondering what you guys did to improve the second time of applying.

Why are you worried about not getting IIs this early? You should still work on improving your app for a possible next cycle but don't completely lose hope yet.

i didn't get any interviews my first time. I basically did everything in between though...more classes, another MCAT, clinical employment, volunteering, research and a few other ECs