Reapplicant/ Nontraditional student LOR advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a reapplicant who has applied 2x previously (including MD/MPH programs) before ultimately going to get my MPH and taking a position as a quality coordinator at a large cancer center w/ academic ties. When I applied the first few times I used my undergraduate premed committee to submit 2 science and one non-science LOR. I had an amazing LOR (I assume) from my non science LOR because I had built a personal friendship/professional relationship with the prof that I worked with all my senior year for capstone/thesis. However, I was not a science major and happened to have gone to a large university class sizes 100+ and didn't really get to know my science profs all that well even though I minored in biochemistry. In fact the 1st prof I asked in biochemistry could not recall much about me and declined to write the letter even though I had been to his office hours to ask questions at least a dozen times that semester and the other prof I was going to ask unexpectedly got laid off and moved (idk where). I ended up getting letters but don't believe they are as strong as they could be. It has been 4 years since I attended undergrad (will be 5 when I apply)? Would it be better to get a letter from graduate professors (I took parasitology and pathophysiology epidemiology at 2 separate institutions) rather than getting letters from the premed committee/ asking the original writers for new letters)?

I am 100% sure the letters not in science that I get would be amazing (ie. grad MPH advisor, CMO of cancer center who I report to directly, etc). Please advise what to do/ can you just not submit any undergraduate letters and send a statement explaining why not?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not use the undergrad letters. They are too outdated and will hurt you if you try to explain why you are using them. It makes it seem like you have developed no connections over the last 4 years. Get grad school professors and maybe shadow a physician and get one fromt hem.

Do not use the undergrad letters. They are too outdated and will hurt you if you try to explain why you are using them. It makes it seem like you have developed no connections over the last 4 years. Get grad school professors and maybe shadow a physician and get one fromt hem.
Should I contact schools and let them know that bc its been such a long time that my committee letters are outdated and that I got letters from different people? Not sure what the best approach for this would be

Members don't see this ad :)
Get letters from new people and submit those. Do not contact school for old letters at all.

A physician letter can still help you. If a physician know you well enough, it would be better than from a professor who barely know you.