Reapplicant, question about race

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeGucciMane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so basically my father is Indian and my mother is Caucasian and on last year's application I selected Asian Indian as my race simply because I felt that if I put white in a way I was ashamed in my father (and my heritage).

Unfortunately I didn't have any success.

On my reapplication will I be questioned if I select White this time? I feel that because Asian-Indians are ORM it would be better to put White, simply to increase my chances any way.

If I apply to a new set of schools will they see my previous primary? Or is it only schools who I submitted a primary previously?

My GPA is 3.66 and my MCAT is 34. I applied to only mid-tier schools with no "reach" schools. I understand that the reason for my failure most likely lies in my 2ndaries and PS but I just want to give myself every possible advantage for my potentially last chance at med school

Members don't see this ad.

You are only a reapplicant at those schools which you have previously submitted a primary app to. I dont particularly recommend using a different race on a reapplication to schools you have applied to in the past

If you arent getting IIs with a 3.66/34 though there are much bigger things to consider beyond what race to put

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are only a reapplicant at those schools which you have previously submitted a primary app to. I dont particularly recommend using a different race on a reapplication to schools you have applied to in the past

If you arent getting IIs with a 3.66/34 though there are much bigger things to consider beyond what race to put
Thanks for the reply

is it best to just leave the Race section blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply

is it best to just leave the Race section blank?

I feel like it will look odd if you change your race the second time around. I mean to be honest I don't think it will help you to add that you're white. Being asian doesn't hurt you.

What is your sGPA? How are your ECs, where did you apply last cycle and what is your state of residence? 3.66/34 are solid stats. With a good list and well written app you're competitive for a number of places.

what if I am applying to all new schools? Is a blank race section seen as disingenuous as well?
Not in the same way as a change from one year to the next (we only see a handful of these per cycle).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Changing your race will do nothing to help your app; it's irrelevant whether you pick white or Asian. You're focusing on the wrong thing here and ignoring something else that actually matters. Fixing whatever problem your app had is what you need to do.

Your stats are fine. So first thing, did you get interview invites? If not, there is something wrong with your app. Look at your PS, consider whether one of your LORs may have been lukewarm, beef up ECs if they're poor, make sure your list of schools is well chosen. If you did get invites but didn't get an acceptance, then you need to work on your interview skills. Get someone who performs interviews as part of their job (such as a supervisor at work or a HR person) to mock interview you. Practice explaining "why medicine" and going over your ECs in an engaging and interesting way. If you have some kind of red flag on your app like an IA, practice explaining that also, take full responsibility for it on your app/in interviews, and be prepared to show how you've matured and learned from the experience.

Reactions: 2 users
The ethnicity box will have no effect upon your app.

Your app is the issue,or your target list.

Hi so basically my father is Indian and my mother is Caucasian and on last year's application I selected Asian Indian as my race simply because I felt that if I put white in a way I was ashamed in my father (and my heritage).

Unfortunately I didn't have any success.

On my reapplication will I be questioned if I select White this time? I feel that because Asian-Indians are ORM it would be better to put White, simply to increase my chances any way.

If I apply to a new set of schools will they see my previous primary? Or is it only schools who I submitted a primary previously?

My GPA is 3.66 and my MCAT is 34. I applied to only mid-tier schools with no "reach" schools. I understand that the reason for my failure most likely lies in my 2ndaries and PS but I just want to give myself every possible advantage for my potentially last chance at med school