reapplicant - reuse old letter of recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am reapplying this year with updated activities and volunteering, can you reuse old letters of recommendations? My letters are dated from late 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

If I am reapplying this year with updated activities and volunteering, can you reuse old letters of recommendations? My letters are dated from late 2009.

Yes you can. If you are in a graduate program, though, some schools may request a letter or two from that school. Creighton is the only school I know off the top of my head that requires very recent letters no matter when you finished undergrad.

Just be careful because older letters (3+ years) may be looked at as less reliable indicators of who you are

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be careful because older letters (3+ years) may be looked at as less reliable indicators of who you are

So is late 2009 OK for this cycle? I am not sure if I should ask the professors to resubmit with a changed date but that may take time and cause app delay.

I would say its fine, but less than desirable.

Just make sure those are good LORs!

I remember one school that asked specifically for one letter that was written by someone who has 'considerable contact' with you over the past year or something along the lines - but I'm pretty sure that was just one school

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

So what if I ask those previous letter writers from 2009 to change the date on the letter and resubmit? Would that be OK?

So what if I ask those previous letter writers from 2009 to change the date on the letter and resubmit? Would that be OK?

Ask the admissions departments of the schools you are applying to.