Reapplication Advice for an Illinois Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syncan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have applied to med school this current cycle (2014-2015) and have not yet received an interview. My MCAT score was low (29). My GPA is 3.60 in Bio from a top public college list, at least according to this list
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public
(within the top 15)

I live in Illinois. I applied to.
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
UIC
GW*
Drexel*
NYMC*
TCMC

I’ve been rejected pre-interview from the ones with the asterisks. I am “in process” at the rest (or being silently rejected).
My mistakes include: taking MCAT in July and therefore not submitting any secondaries until early September and getting a low score.

I graduated college early. In college, I volunteered as a hospital and have 200+ hours of volunteering. I didn’t do any research. During my semester "off" (due to graduating early), I’m currently taking a CNA class and working part time. I will probably apply again until the 2016-2017 cycle. In this time I hope to work as a CNA and then re-take the MCAT for a higher score. I feel as if I can do much better and that I didn’t prepare for the MCAT enough my first time.

Any tips on how to improve my application as well as chances of getting into medical school? Can you recommend any schools? Next time I plan on having all my LORs and scores prepared for the day that the AMCAS application opens and submitting my secondaries ASAP.

Thank you for your time! (Sorry if I made some grammatical errors I’m in a rush and making this post has been on my mind lately…)

Members don't see this ad.

Why is your school selection so small?
Thanks for your response.

I guess I am naive and didn't think this school selection was small... also financially I couldn't pay for too many apps (and didn't qualify for the FAP program). Now that I am working I may have the ability to pay for more.

How many schools do you recommend applying to?

I applied to 20+ schools. Many people I know applied to just as many if not more. I would recommend getting the MSAR before you apply and research which schools your stats fit into. :)

Reactions: 1 user