Reapplication after preliminary surgery year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reEManon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year, I applied to EM and did not match. I'm going to give generalizations about my application/stats because I want to remain as anonymous as possible, although someone might be able to figure out who I am if they really try.

Step 1: low, but passing
Step 2: improved by 40 points and respectable
number of SLOES: 4, all reportedly positive
red flags: none that were identified by my medical school dean, EM adviser, or preliminary year PD who saw my complete application (other than my low step 1). All were shocked that I didn't match. No fails, disciplinary actions, criminal history, etc.
number of interviews: more than 10
what happened: unsure. speculation by myself, EM adviser, PD, and others is that I'm either a very bad interviewer (most likely), was very close at several programs and just got unlucky, had red flags that nobody can identify (I trust the candidness of people I've asked, especially my current PD, so seems less likely), poor strategic choosing of programs, or there was a clerical mistake on my part or other technical error in my NRMP/ERAS
what I've done: scrambled into preliminary surgery year, which is obviously hard work but valuable experience. I have a new EM SLOE from an EM rotation I did as a resident, and updated SLOEs from a couple of my medical school rotations that I've kept in touch with. Since I don't think I will survive another failed match, I'm applying to a backup specialty

I have a few questions for those willing to give advice in this forum. Thank you in advance.

Where should I apply and where should I not apply? Should I eliminate programs that didn't want to interview me last year or will I be evaluated differently? Realistically and generally speaking, how do applicants in my position do when reapplying? Any other advice?

good luck to everyone applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last year, I applied to EM and did not match. I'm going to give generalizations about my application/stats because I want to remain as anonymous as possible, although someone might be able to figure out who I am if they really try.

red flags: none that were identified by my medical school dean, EM adviser, or preliminary year PD who saw my complete application (other than my low step 1). All were shocked that I didn't match. No fails, disciplinary actions, criminal history, etc.
what happened: unsure. speculation by myself, EM adviser, PD, and others is that I'm either a very bad interviewer (most likely), was very close at several programs and just got unlucky, had red flags that nobody can identify (I trust the candidness of people I've asked, especially my current PD, so seems less likely), poor strategic choosing of programs, or there was a clerical mistake on my part or other technical error in my NRMP/ERAS
what I've done: scrambled into preliminary surgery year, which is obviously hard work but valuable experience. I have a new EM SLOE from an EM rotation I did as a resident, and updated SLOEs from a couple of my medical school rotations that I've kept in touch with. Since I don't think I will survive another failed match, I'm applying to a backup specialty

I have a few questions for those willing to give advice in this forum. Thank you in advance.

Where should I apply and where should I not apply? Should I eliminate programs that didn't want to interview me last year or will I be evaluated differently? Realistically and generally speaking, how do applicants in my position do when reapplying? Any other advice?

It sounds like you are doing all the right things moving forward; I'm sure you'll work on this on the upcoming cycle, but I would put concerted effort in being the best interviewee possible. Assuming the info you are getting and sharing is accurate (and it sounds like it is), that is probably it. You can send out an anonymous survey to fellow residents and attendings to see if there is something else amiss.

It would help a little to know where you applied - without that, it is hard to know if in fact you did overreach when you made your list. Nevertheless, the places you should apply will generally be in the middle and southeast. There are definitely programs within those regions that are still nationally competitive (IU, Cincinnati, Vandy, etc) and there are certainly programs on either coast which are less competitive than those (MUSC, Kaweah Delta) but still very good.

Since it is unclear why Progam X did not invite you to an interview the first time, the question to reapply is yours alone to decide. Honestly, you probably just got screened out by grades and/or Step scores, or just dumb luck. The bigger question is whether or not to reapply to the programs that did offer interviews but did not rank you to match. If it were me, I would just call them and have a conversation with the PC or PD.

Did you take Step 3? Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm applying this year, so clearly I am not the best person to answer, but I would say apply broadly. It sounds like you have worked hard for this, and now you have a whole year experience under your belt which will make you a strong-ass intern. So, I would say apply to many safe programs (community programs in undesirable locations -for me this means Kern or Visalia program in California for example - I'm from CA so that's what I know that those are non-competitive but good EM programs) but also to some places you would love to go and have not yet interviewed at. I'm sure things will turn out :)
Good luck!

The odds of not matching after ranking >10 interviews are incredibly small. I can't think that your step 1 score or program selection has anything to do with it, since you got the interviews.

I would wonder if there is something you don't know in one of your SLOEs that hurt you (I assume nobody you have asked to appraise your application got a look at your SLOE). You've accurately pointed to the other potential cause, which is something you systematically did wrong in your interviews. I would suggest reading and listening to podcasts (ALiEM, for instance) on EM interviews and prepare for the standard interview questions. Do you think you did poorly on your interviews?

Op, I was in your shoes 4 years ago. I applied to middle and lower tier EM programs and had plenty of interest. The system, as its setup, will always let some well qualified candidates go without a match. I ended up re-interviewing at 2 programs who said I missed matching there by only a couple spots. They assured me I would rank as a match, the 2nd go around. Their advice for me was I most likely applied to too competitive programs.

I ended up matching in the middle of my pack, no 4 of 15. I did a backup application as well to IM with 3 local interviews with thoughts of CC, as I could see myself happy in that.

The interview trail, your year and self confidence will wander but be as self reflective, honest and humble during your interviews. hopefully you'll match as I did.

I feel I am very successful now as an attending, passed boards easily, take great care of my patients, well liked by colleagues, patients and admin. Most importantly I am happy, and happy with my decision to be persistent.

Good luck, feel free to PM if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user