Reapplication Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Will

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this type of info has been posted before. But since the search function is out, you'll have to bear with me.

Does anyone know if schools who previously reject your application look down on you if you reapply during the next cycle? Basically, I want to know if you are at a disadvantage compared to new applicants, even if you make improvements in areas wherever possible.

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not! They look favorably at it! Just improve your application (or at least work at it), and they'll appreciate it. I got rejected 2 years in a row, and will be attending my top choice school that rejected me BOTH of those years. BEst of luck and PM me if you have any questions.

Gary

Right on man. That's great!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplying once to the same school(s)is always fine but you have to be careful of where you reapply to a third time. I know that at UCLA they pretty much just throw out 3rd try reapplicants. That means you must really do major improvements before reapplying to schools like UCLA. Taking a year before reapplying to boost your app might do well if you are set in getting into top notch schools.

While a handful of schools have the 2 time limit of reapplying i writing, many schools look down on applicants who apply the third time. I know this for almost a fact because this is exactly what happened to one of my friends. She applied twice at RWJ, got interviewed but then was ultimately rejected. Despite improving her apps, she failed to land a interview on the third try. When asked why, the admissions director said that it is hard for them to favor 3rd time applicants.

When you reapply, do you have to change your secondary essays as well as your personal statement?

In my situation, I'm confident that my essays are good, but I'm not in yet b/c of my low mcat and late application. Do I have to rewrite everything anyway?

I did change my essays a little bit, but not too much. You could add a thing or two about the fact that you applied unsuccessfully, what you learned from it, how you're a better candidate this time around, etc.

I agree with Otter. Stressing how you've changed your application and what you've learned over the year can really work as an advantage. In my situation, I want to revamp everything I can to make it look like a different application.

what I did as a reapplicant was set up a meeting with the dean of admissions to go over my app. he pretty much read everything over and told me what needed work and where I needed improvement.

Since he told me my personal statement was fine, I changed that very little, and since he said my MCAT and GPA was fine, I didn't retake the MCAT or take other classes. I mainly just got more medical experience in my year off, since that was the area where I was lacking. (and I got in this yr :clap: )