This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BehindBlueEyes

EM PGY-3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, this sounds much better. Have you already submitted your app? Also, are you applying to DO schools as well?

Yes, this sounds much better. Have you already submitted your app? Also, are you applying to DO schools as well?
Yes, I have already sent in my AMCAS, it's waiting for processing right now. I'm considering applying to DO schools as well, yes, but I would think my stats still keep MD schools realistic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have already sent in my AMCAS, it's waiting for processing right now. I'm considering applying to DO schools as well, yes, but I would think my stats still keep MD schools realistic?

Yes! MD schools are definitely realistic for you, but you are a pretty strong applicant for DO schools-- even more so because you already have everything for the app done. I say, apply to DO asap: why limit your chances at a seat?

Reactions: 1 user
Consider applying to these schools where your stats are competitive for an interview:
Your state public schools
St. Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Tulane
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Kansas
For DO apply to at least 6 schools. Some schools require a DO LOR.

Yes. I've seen plenty of posts from successful SDNers who applied late in cycle 1, but got in with an on-time app in cycle 2.

Hello all, I'm new to the forums but here is my story:

I just graduated from a private liberal arts university in southwest Missouri with a B.S. in Biology and a B.A. in chemistry, not a hugely prestigious school but I went there primarily for athletics, cGPA 3.82 and sGPA 3.88, MCAT 512.

I applied late last year, partly due to when I scheduled the MCAT, and sort of blindly walked through the application process my senior year, only applying to about 8 schools, all MD. At that point I had decent EC's, lots of volunteering and a little research, but nothing very clinical. The worst is that my application money for my home institution, University of Missouri, which I probably had the highest chances of getting in, got lost in the mail so my app got submitted literally the day of the deadline. Nearly every school I applied to I got the secondaries submitted in like October or November, so really late.

My only interview was at the University of Kansas, which was actually one of the loftier schools I applied to. Although I didn't get it, I called the dean of admissions for a follow up and essentially I was told that it all came down to the fact I wasn't from Kansas, otherwise everything went really well, interview included.

Anyway, this year I am reapplying (MUCH earlier) and I feel like a much stronger applicant. Went through a couple of MedPrep classes through University of Missouri, really improved by personal statement and got even more interview experience. I've added 4-5 more experiences to the AMCAS from last year -- working full time as a scribe, academic internship in orthopedic surgery, part time job as a chemistry tutor, volunteering in a family practice clinic, etc... I'm also applying to around 19 schools this time around, and I'm only a re-applicant at 3 of them (Missouri, Kansas, and Georgia).

Basically my question is -- have I done an adequate job at improving myself and my app for the reapplication? Any additional thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input SDN fam!