Reapplying...Advice Would be Great :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureENTChicago

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a recent graduate with a bachelor's of sciene in Molecular and Cellular Biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Unfortunately, I will not be getting into medical school this upcoming year, and am preparing myself to reapply this cycle and was looking for some advice on how to improve my application.

GPA/MCAT:
Cumulative GPA = 3.75
Science GPA = 3.70
MCAT= 30

Clinical Experience:
None the first time around, but come the second cycle will have 100+ hrs shadowing, as well as volunteer work in a hospital

Volunteer Experience:
Very minimal the first time around, but come the second cycle I will have 50+ hours volunteering at a retirement home, 50+ hours volunteering at Down Syndrome Awareness House, and leading a program at the Ronald McDonald House

Research Experience:
1 year of research as a volunteer
Will be 2 years before the second cycle as well as being published in a paper

ECs:
2 years on LAS Council (Leadership Program for Liberal Arts and Science students)
3 years on MCB Ligase (Leadership/Tutor Program for Molecular and Cellular Biology Students
Captain on my intramural sports team 3 years (basketball/football)

LORs:
1 from science teacher
1 from non-science teacher
1 from research professor
1 personal

I think the weak points in my application were my volunteering and Letters of Rec, as well as the fact that I waited to apply till late October/Early November.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it. So to clarify, you applied with no to minimal clinical and volunteer experience? and by this next cycle, you'll have the above experiences? It looks like you have remedied your shortcomings in your application. Where did you apply for first round? how many? any interviews?

Your numbers are good. Good work. I think you have this down. As you say, make sure your letters are the best they can be and also write a good personal statement. Don't reuse it, especially with all of your new experience. And, apply early.

I applied to all my in state schools (I reside in IL) and received zero interviews. I think that the lack of interviews came from both the faults in my application and the tardiness in my application

I think you are on thr right track.
Sorry, how many schools is that in IL? Is there a reason you applied geographically limited?

What's your plan for better letters?

For letters, I have already talked to different professors, about writing recommendations on my behalf, and this time I am going to get two letters from science professors rather than just one.
Also, in regards to why I only applied to Illinois schools, I knew I was applying late, so I just limited my applications to the schools I thought I had the best chance. Which in my mind were all the Illinois schools (SIU, Rush, U of I, Northwestern, and Rosalind Franklin)
I plan on applying to many more schools this time around

I agree 100%. Just apply smartly, OK? MSAR Online is your friend.

Got it. So to clarify, you applied with no to minimal clinical and volunteer experience? and by this next cycle, you'll have the above experiences? It looks like you have remedied your shortcomings in your application.

Your numbers are good. Good work. I think you have this down. As you say, make sure your letters are the best they can be and also write a good personal statement. Don't reuse it, especially with all of your new experience. And, apply early.