General Admissions & OTCAS Reapplying Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katie526

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Last year was my first year applying to OT programs and I applied to 7 schools. I have been rejected by 6 so far, but I am still waiting to hear from the last school, which I should hopefully hear from next week. This summer I am retaking two courses, Statistics and Intro to Psychology, that I had a C and a C+ in respectively. I registered to take Microbiology during the second half of summer and Chemistry and Nutrition in the Fall. I thought about applying to nursing school in addition to reapplying to OT school, but now I’m not so sure. I know OT is what I want to do, thus I’m debating whether or not to take Micro/Chem/Nutrition or just retake another class that I have a B in and could replace with an A. I also don’t know if I should reapply to the same schools, to all new schools, or to a couple of the same and a couple new. I had a 2.9 undergrad GPA as a the result of some personal health problems, but since I returned to school I’ve had all A’s (AP-I AP-II, Medical Terminology, Abnormal Psyc) except for Physics, which I earned a C (Math IS NOT my subject so I was escatic over the C). I’m looking for schools that look more at the last 45 or 60 credits. I’m just really unsure what to do and where to go from here. I don’t know anyone in the same position and feel like I really don’t have anyone to ask advice from. If you can offer any advice about reapplying, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

- Katie

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Katie! I apply to OT school in the fall, but based on your schpiel I think I can help.

First off, I'd definitely retake Statistics and Intro to Psych and get the best grades possible - try to aim for A's. (I see math isn't your forte). Drop Microbiology, there is no use for that and that would really stress you out. I'd take retake Physics OR take Chemistry - most schools ask for one or the other (although there has been a spike in schools that require Physics). Look for schools with a lower GPA cutoff - for example, American International College in Springfield, MA requires a 2.85 GPA minimum. I don't know what your GPA is, but avoid OTCAS schools if your GPA is low. OTCAS schools receive lots of applicants because its one click and your application is literally everywhere.

I'd seriously consider taking the GRE also and shadowing a lot - it will show your passion towards OT. Don't "settle" for nursing if that's not what you want to do. I put settle in quotation marks because Nursing is an amazing career, but if it isn't what you want to do, it'll make you miserable in the long run. Plus Nursing school is equally as competitive, even at the Community College level.

Try to get killer LORs, and try to stand out as much as you can as an applicant by "showing off" unique things you've done and how they'll help you be a better OT (for example, if you had a study abroad program [cultural exposure], or worked with disadvantaged kids [passion towards helping others], president of your club, sorority, organization [leadership], just naming a few).

Last, but not least, don't give up! I have a 2.9 GPA right now as well, and if no OT schools accept me this time around I'll make sure the admissions people know they will be making the biggest mistake of their careers. You gotta have a similar mentality. Don't be discouraged because of the astronomical GPAs you see in this page. Show them that you are more than a number on your transcript.

PM me if you need anything and good luck!

Last edited:
I was going to take Micro/Chem/Nutrition for nursing... but since I feel like I should just really go for OT again, I’m considering dropping those classes. I’m definitely retaking Stats and Intro to Psych. I applied to 5 non-OTCAS schools last year and it is a lot of work for not only you, but your references too. The workload for my references is the only thing that worries me with reapplying to non-OTCAS schools. I made a great connection with an OT at a prestigious pediatric hospital in Baltimore when I did my observation hours. My work/shadow experience includesthat pediatric hospital, working in another setting with Autistic children, and working as a rehab tech at Johns Hopkins (acute, chronic care, and burns unit). I volunteered for a month in January in South Africa as a preschool instructor in an underpriveleged community. I basically taught ADL’s to 3-4 year olds that were extremely underdeveloped, but it was the best experience of my life. I know helping kids is my passion and that special needs children have such a grip on my heart. I’m very compassionate and I believe a lot of that came from losing my older brother to cancer at a young age and going through my own health problems during high school/college. I just know I am in a much better place now and though I may not look like much on paper, I’m a fighter and if a school could just take a chance on me, I know I could be incredibily successful as an occupational therapist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean - if you had to retake anything, OTCAS will punish you for that (which is really annoying, tbh).

Apply to schools that are *less competitive. You can figure that out by calling/emailing schools and asking them what the average overall & pre-requisite GPAs for the year before's class were. There is NO guarantee that you will get in, but one thing that I realized is that average GPAs don't spike massively, but instead it's a gradual growth. For example, University of Wisconsin @ LaCrosse, one of the schools I'm applying to, has had an average increase in GPA since 2009 (which I believe was their first class), and for last year's class the average GPA actually dropped.

Chatham University in Pittsburgh had a 3.4 average GPA and a 3.38 average pre-req GPA. You just gotta find schools that you have somewhat of a chance in.

That would make an amazing essay! I don't know why schools are not accepting you - I hate the mega-emphasis schools put on grades, but I guess they do that to avoid the saturation in the field :p
Keep working hard, and I'm sure if you get an interview, you can push your way through.

I mean - if you had to retake anything, OTCAS will punish you for that (which is really annoying, tbh).

Apply to schools that are *less competitive. You can figure that out by calling/emailing schools and asking them what the average overall & pre-requisite GPAs for the year before's class were. There is NO guarantee that you will get in, but one thing that I realized is that average GPAs don't spike massively, but instead it's a gradual growth. For example, University of Wisconsin @ LaCrosse, one of the schools I'm applying to, has had an average increase in GPA since 2009 (which I believe was their first class), and for last year's class the average GPA actually dropped.

Chatham University in Pittsburgh had a 3.4 average GPA and a 3.38 average pre-req GPA. You just gotta find schools that you have somewhat of a chance in.

That would make an amazing essay! I don't know why schools are not accepting you - I hate the mega-emphasis schools put on grades, but I guess they do that to avoid the saturation in the field :p
Keep working hard, and I'm sure if you get an interview, you can push your way through.
I'm in the same boat! I'm applying to schools like Tennessee State University, Alabama State University, and Creighton University. I know schools like Alabama State University and Tennessee State University are more lenient on the application process. I would check out those programs. Creighton University is another one I would recommend. The program is expensive but the admissions counselors, director of admissions, and the receptionist are generous.

I was going to take Micro/Chem/Nutrition for nursing... but since I feel like I should just really go for OT again, I’m considering dropping those classes. I’m definitely retaking Stats and Intro to Psych. I applied to 5 non-OTCAS schools last year and it is a lot of work for not only you, but your references too. The workload for my references is the only thing that worries me with reapplying to non-OTCAS schools. I made a great connection with an OT at a prestigious pediatric hospital in Baltimore when I did my observation hours. My work/shadow experience includesthat pediatric hospital, working in another setting with Autistic children, and working as a rehab tech at Johns Hopkins (acute, chronic care, and burns unit). I volunteered for a month in January in South Africa as a preschool instructor in an underpriveleged community. I basically taught ADL’s to 3-4 year olds that were extremely underdeveloped, but it was the best experience of my life. I know helping kids is my passion and that special needs children have such a grip on my heart. I’m very compassionate and I believe a lot of that came from losing my older brother to cancer at a young age and going through my own health problems during high school/college. I just know I am in a much better place now and though I may not look like much on paper, I’m a fighter and if a school could just take a chance on me, I know I could be incredibily successful as an occupational therapist.
Hey Katie! I'm in the same position you are in!

Aren’t all those schools OTCAS? I’m trying to stay away from OTCAS since they get so many applications. Does anyone know of any schools that look at your last 45-60 credits or have a below 3.0 cumulative undergrad GPA? After I retake my summer classes, I should have about a 3.5-3.8 prereq GPA depending on the school.

Western Michigan University looks at your last 60 GPA. American International College in Springfield, MA has a 2.85 minimum.
Eastern Kentucky University also looks at your last 60 - although there is a transition year (you get a 3.0 or above your transition year, you're guaranteed a spot in the masters program). Check out schools that are taking their first or second class (they aren't accredited, but they should be by the end of your class - AOTA approved schools that have a passing rate of 71% on their NBCOT exam *cough cough* Tuskegee *cough cough*... If they avoid the same mistakes, they should get their accreditation.
San Jose State University in Cali also looks at your last 60...

Western Michigan University looks at your last 60 GPA. American International College in Springfield, MA has a 2.85 minimum.
Eastern Kentucky University also looks at your last 60 - although there is a transition year (you get a 3.0 or above your transition year, you're guaranteed a spot in the masters program). Check out schools that are taking their first or second class (they aren't accredited, but they should be by the end of your class - AOTA approved schools that have a passing rate of 71% on their NBCOT exam *cough cough* Tuskegee *cough cough*... If they avoid the same mistakes, they should get their accreditation.
What happen to Tuskegee University

Aren’t all those schools OTCAS? I’m trying to stay away from OTCAS since they get so many applications. Does anyone know of any schools that look at your last 45-60 credits or have a below 3.0 cumulative undergrad GPA? After I retake my summer classes, I should have about a 3.5-3.8 prereq GPA depending on the school.
Well I know people who were accepted into ASU and Creighton programs. I contact the director of admissions at TSU and he seems really nice. I believe its going to be competitive either way. I applied to two non-otcas and I was rejected. Keep your options open. I'm applying to five otcas and non-otcas

What happen to Tuskegee University
I was going to give Tuskegee University I try but if their students can't pass their boards then that says a lot about the school. I saw that they are on probation status right now….that can ruin their reputation….

LSU-HSC New Orleans (and probably Shreveport campus as well) require a 2.8 minimum gpa. They are on OTCAS though. More and more schools are using OTCAS, staying away from them limits your choices instead of improving them, so I wouldn't recommend avoiding them completely. I had a 2.9 overall GPA when I applied to schools on OTCAS as well, and out of 4 was accepted to 2 and waitlisted at another. It is possible!

As others have said, just make certain other areas of your application are as strong as possible:

- Volunteer in a wide variety of settings/populations and if you can get a job as a Rehab Aide
- Retake any prereqs you don't have As in and excel in them, try to raise your overall GPA to at least a 3.0
- Take the GRE and excel on it! I know its a pain but its really the best (and only) way to show admissions committees empirically that your GPA doesn't reflect your academic abilities
- Get excellent letters of recommendation
- Work hard on your personal statement and have others, especially an English teacher or an OT if you can, review and edit it for you. You can say in a brief (one sentence) statement that health problems impeded your studies, but focus on showing how you have improved and provide evidence (prereq retakes, GRE, etc) that you can handle the grad school workload
- Apply to a wide variety of schools, with some reach schools and some safety schools, and research them to find out what they are looking for in a candidate. You can discuss this with admission counselors as well
- You can contact the schools you were rejected from and ask what in your application was weak and how you could improve your application when reapplying

Its definitely a lot of hard work, but it'll be worth it in the long run! Good luck :)

Wow, you definitely sound like a great applicant! I don't know why you were rejected to so many schools, unless they were all super top tier. You should really contact them and ask. Have you taken the GRE? That would really open your options as well and probably improve your chance of acceptance. Best of luck to you!

LSU-HSC New Orleans (and probably Shreveport campus as well) require a 2.8 minimum gpa. They are on OTCAS though. More and more schools are using OTCAS, staying away from them limits your choices instead of improving them, so I wouldn't recommend avoiding them completely. I had a 2.9 overall GPA when I applied to schools on OTCAS as well, and out of 4 was accepted to 2 and waitlisted at another. It is possible!

As others have said, just make certain other areas of your application are as strong as possible:

- Volunteer in a wide variety of settings/populations and if you can get a job as a Rehab Aide
- Retake any prereqs you don't have As in and excel in them, try to raise your overall GPA to at least a 3.0
- Take the GRE and excel on it! I know its a pain but its really the best (and only) way to show admissions committees empirically that your GPA doesn't reflect your academic abilities
- Work hard on your personal statement and have others, especially an English teacher or an OT if you can, review and edit it for you. You can say in a brief (one sentence) statement that health problems impeded your studies, but focus on showing how you have improved and provide evidence (prereq retakes, GRE, etc) that you can handle the grad school workload
- Apply to a wide variety of schools, with some reach schools and some safety schools, and research them to find out what they are looking for in a candidate. You can discuss this with admission counselors as well
- You can contact the schools you were rejected from and ask what in your application was weak and how you could improve your application when reapplying

Its definitely a lot of hard work, but it'll be worth it in the long run! Good luck :)
I was intrigued by your post! I know I'm not a good writer but do you mind reading over my personal statement? You are my inspirations. My grade point average right is 2.88 however I'm taking 13 credits this summer. What programs accepted you?

I read your post and it reminded me of myself, I struggle with math as well but what I find that’s helping me is a few things, invest in a old high school math book. I’m using a Holt Mathematics, Pre-Algebra and Algebra California edition. The reason why I say this is because there example are much better then that in a college text book, and it goes over all the steps, also make sure you study 2 hour a day with a white board. Also don’t give up, you sound like an impressive applicant for OT school, what is your bachelors in.

I received my acceptance to Husson University today!!! Thanks for all the helpful responses... If you just show your passion and work hard, it can be done! I'm still in shock... can't believe it! So happy!

Reactions: 1 users
And to imagine you were gonna reapply! This is incredible, CONGRATS!

I was always wondering, for those of you who worked as a rehab tech/aid, was it in a setting an OT was working? I'm just wondering because where I live there isn't much jobs as rehab techs/aids. Most of them are for PT assistants or aids and the ones that aren't at a PT clinic are at a hospital, but they're sooooo hard to get :(

For those reapplying--- if you are reapplying do you need to resend your transcripts? What about GRE scores? What if you are adding new schools to your application list?