Reapplying after possible acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRSmama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's past decision day and I still haven't heard back from one of the schools that I interviewed at. They told me I am "on hold" meaning that no decision has been made, nor do they know when one will be made. I am also wait listed at another school. Therefore getting accepted this cycle is still very possible. However I was offered a job with very good pay for just having a bachelors degree, but it is a contract job that I would have to fully commit to by the end of May.

I have a young child so it is my top priority to provide for him, and I would hate to turn down such a high paying job, especially if I have to start repaying student loans in the next several months after no longer being in school. And I would hate to get denied to medical school after turning down the job, and then be stuck trying to find a decent job. But if I end up getting accepted to medical school after I sign the contract for this job, I would have to turn down the acceptance and reapply.

Has anyone gone through this situation before? What is the likelihood of getting accepted to a school after previously denying their acceptance?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it absolutely not possible to turn down the job after an acceptance? Right now I think you should take the job and provide for your family because no acceptance is guaranteed at this moment. If you believe an acceptance is very likely, you should discuss it with your boss (although it might not be a very good idea).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
take the job...if you get the acceptance, explain your situation and ask for a deferral. with you being a parent that had to work, they will likely be kind....if they aren't you can decide if you are going to bail on the job

Reactions: 2 users
Agree, take the job. If you get the acceptance, take it and leave the job. Talk to your boss, if he is unwilling to let you leave then leave. You signed a contract, but what they will stop you from leaving? Just don't show up anymore and move on.

take job and security. when you get accepted you can always leave, just keep on looking out for your family.

Take the job, and if you get accepted then immediately petition for deferral. Try to put money away during the year - you'll be very glad you have savings.

Meanwhile, are you ready to resubmit AMCAS in about 9 days? Do you have a better app than last year? Don't wait on reapplying - the post-May-15 wave takes months to play out. You might find out in August (or not).

Best of luck to you.

It's past decision day and I still haven't heard back from one of the schools that I interviewed at. They told me I am "on hold" meaning that no decision has been made, nor do they know when one will be made. I am also wait listed at another school. Therefore getting accepted this cycle is still very possible. However I was offered a job with very good pay for just having a bachelors degree, but it is a contract job that I would have to fully commit to by the end of May.

I have a young child so it is my top priority to provide for him, and I would hate to turn down such a high paying job, especially if I have to start repaying student loans in the next several months after no longer being in school. And I would hate to get denied to medical school after turning down the job, and then be stuck trying to find a decent job. But if I end up getting accepted to medical school after I sign the contract for this job, I would have to turn down the acceptance and reapply.

Has anyone gone through this situation before? What is the likelihood of getting accepted to a school after previously denying their acceptance?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Agree with the above advice to take the job and apply for a deferral if you get an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for the advice everyone, I had never thought of a deferral. Good luck to all of you in your goals as well!