Reapplying and can't decide!!! Georgetown SMP vs. Scribing/Medical Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleiz321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I applied to 26 schools in the 2015 cycle. I got no interviews and am applying again this coming 2016 cycle. My dilemma is whether to enroll at Georgetown in their SMP, come August, or get a job as a scribe or an MA or something primary care/clinical.

A little bit about my situation: I went to McGill University in Montreal for undergrad but I'm from California and will be applying as a CA resident (even though I've been living in Virginia since Oct. 2013). I could try to apply as a Virginia resident but I tried to hold on to my CA residency and now I think it's too late so I'm stuck with that.

My stats from 2015 cycle were as follows:

GPA 3.45 sGPA 3.38
MCAT 36 (11B, 11V, 14P)

Was working as an operating room assistant for ~1 year when I applied (clinical but not patient interaction based)
Community service ~200 hours
Research ~1000 hours (2 publications, not first author)
Shadowing ~150 hours (of only 1 doctor (surgeon) though)

GPA 3.49 sGPA 3.47 (took 3 bio classes to try to boost it a little)
MCAT is the same obviously

Additions to my application this time around:

• volunteer weekly at a free clinic ~60 hours when I apply
  • volunteer weekly at a counseling center for under served women ~40 hours when I apply
  • shadowing with 2 other types of doctors ~60 hours total
  • taking spanish
  • working part-time as a certified personal trainer while I'm taking classes
  • also add another 6 months to that operating room assistant job (just quit a couple weeks ago)

So given all this, does anyone have any thoughts on whether the SMP is something I should do or whether I should hope I get in this time around? If I don't go to the SMP I'll get a medical assistant or scribe job so I'll be expanding my clinical experience (altho that won't be on the primary).

ALSO does anyone have an idea of how much the SMP could help me in getting into a CA med school?? I know they send out some letter or something when you enroll telling all the schools you applied to that you're in the program, I just don't know if any schools actually care that about that. Obviously if you get an interview you can talk about it but do you think it effects your chances of GETTING an interview?

Any thoughts would be great!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice MCAT. Acceptable GPA. I'm not sure about the lack of interviews, but I think you have a good chance of being accepted into Georgetown after their SMP, especially with the MCAT 4pt above their average (if you're going to be one of top 20 students or so in the cohort).

I think with a ~3.5 GPA +36 MCAT you have a good chance of getting in without the expensive SMP. Your extracurriculars are great.

What do you think is the reason for your lack of interviews?

Thanks for your reply!

My suspicion is that #1 my letters were lacking. Almost all of my undergrad classes were 500+ students so I didn't form any relationships with my science professors in undergrad and didn't realize until it was a bit too late. I thus didn't have any BCPM recommendations and instead just had one from a computer science professor I got to know and from the professor whose lab I worked in (but who never had me in a class). Hopefully I'll be able to get letters from both professors in the biology classes I'm taking now so that should ameliorate that slightly. #2 my service since college was lacking. and #3 I don't think I did a fantastic job on my secondaries. Hoping to make up for all those things this round though.

I'm currently leaning towards saying no to the SMP and then, if I don't get any interviews again, enrolling in the San Francisco State academic enhancer route for the winter term and taking a full load of high level bio courses. We'll see though, trying to get as much info as I can before making the decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Strong letters of recommendation are really important, so I don't doubt that lack of these sunk your application. You need at least 2 science professor recommendations, which can comment on your ability to perform in the classroom (ie Susie was #3/154 students in genetics, top 5% of students I've ever taught, was engaging in class, prompt and respectful). Make sure you get 2 strong science + 1 non-science, and you'll have a much better cycle. Your GPA and MCAT should result in acceptances.

I'd say no to the SMP in your position, and focus on building really great relationships with my professors.

What schools did you apply to last cycle? Yes California residency isn't ideal but a 3.5/36 with research publications more often than not won't get completely shut out without even a single interview unless there is a problem with their application or there list of schools too apply to was horribly chosen. And yes, NOT GETTING ANY ANY BCPM LETTERS FROM PROFS WHO TAUGHT YOU IS A RED FLAG. When it is advised you get 2 and required from many schools you get 2 and you don't have any, it doesn't take a genius to figure that can be a flaw in your application.

In your case I would really really look at your application with your pre med advisor amongst others who can give good input and try to identify weaknesses in your application beyond rec letters. Because if you applied to med school without BCPM letters, there's a chance you made another key mistake. Being from california isn't ideal, but by this chart
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/factstable25-4.pdf
You definitely have a very solid chance of an MD school, especially with clinical and research experience that is very solid. Correct the rec letter issue, apply with what will be a slightly higher science GPA this time around, and yes I think things can go better for you. I would advise against doing an SMP program, if you apply smartly and to some DO programs as well, you'll be fine. And even if you do an SMP and do well and wait until next year to apply, if you still don't have an BCPM letters, you'll get the same result.

Good question, what schools did he apply to? If you were in my state, you would be accepted in about two seconds.

Do the SMP, ace it, and you'll get lots of IIs.

A year of scribing isn't going to make your GPA more palatable. You already have lots of clinical experience.

Hi! So I applied to 26 schools in the 2015 cycle. I got no interviews and am applying again this coming 2016 cycle. My dilemma is whether to enroll at Georgetown in their SMP, come August, or get a job as a scribe or an MA or something primary care/clinical.

A little bit about my situation: I went to McGill University in Montreal for undergrad but I'm from California and will be applying as a CA resident (even though I've been living in Virginia since Oct. 2013). I could try to apply as a Virginia resident but I tried to hold on to my CA residency and now I think it's too late so I'm stuck with that.

My stats from 2015 cycle were as follows:

GPA 3.45 sGPA 3.38
MCAT 36 (11B, 11V, 14P)

Was working as an operating room assistant for ~1 year when I applied (clinical but not patient interaction based)
Community service ~200 hours
Research ~1000 hours (2 publications, not first author)
Shadowing ~150 hours (of only 1 doctor (surgeon) though)

GPA 3.49 sGPA 3.47 (took 3 bio classes to try to boost it a little)
MCAT is the same obviously

Additions to my application this time around:

• volunteer weekly at a free clinic ~60 hours when I apply
  • volunteer weekly at a counseling center for under served women ~40 hours when I apply
  • shadowing with 2 other types of doctors ~60 hours total
  • taking spanish
  • working part-time as a certified personal trainer while I'm taking classes
  • also add another 6 months to that operating room assistant job (just quit a couple weeks ago)
So given all this, does anyone have any thoughts on whether the SMP is something I should do or whether I should hope I get in this time around? If I don't go to the SMP I'll get a medical assistant or scribe job so I'll be expanding my clinical experience (altho that won't be on the primary).

ALSO does anyone have an idea of how much the SMP could help me in getting into a CA med school?? I know they send out some letter or something when you enroll telling all the schools you applied to that you're in the program, I just don't know if any schools actually care that about that. Obviously if you get an interview you can talk about it but do you think it effects your chances of GETTING an interview?

Any thoughts would be great!
Thanks!

Figure out your Rec letter situation. Did you only have 1 science letter last time and that letter being a computer science teacher you only did research with and didn't have a class from?

Also what was your school list last cycle? I ask because while it's certainly plausible for a Cali applicant with a 3.45/36 to get completely shut out with no interviews you do have a really solid well rounded application outside of your gpa so lets see if there were basic issues you had last cycle like insufficient rec letters or a horrible list of schools

Im always careful before I recommend someone to take an SMP(it's do or die and they are HARD programs that weed out many smart hardworking students) but a strong SMP showing and you absolutely will get interviews and a likely spot in med school. I agree scribing does little for you

Last edited: