Reapplying, question about having "fresh" LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ValentineLissar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm reapplying this year to MD and DO schools. I have already graduated from my undergraduate university. My question is do I need to get "fresh" letters of recommendation from my science professors if they already wrote one for me last year? Or are the letters that I got for the last cycle good for reapplying for this new cycle? Do i ask for professors to simply change the dates or have them write me a whole new letter?

Any information and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You can re-use LOR's as a re-applicant. Especially from science professors where the content wouldn't have changed any. Really the only thing to change/add is if you gained another significant recommender over the last year that you would like to get a letter from.

The previous letters are fine, but if you've had any significant experiences in the meantime - especially relating to your clinical exposure - I highly recommend that you ask them for a recommendation. This goes a long way toward showing the admissions committee that you've made a serious commitment to upgrading your skills since your last application.

Good luck with the reapp!!