Reapplying-still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chai_latte

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Last year, I applied to several PsyD and PhD programs in school psychology (I applied straight from undergrad). I was invited for interviews for most of the programs I applied to but I was accepted to none. I applied for a Master's in School Psychology at the last minute and got in. I am now in the Master's program in my first year and I am reapplying to the doctoral programs because the doctorate is my goal. I am concerned that the doctoral programs might dismiss my application because I'm in a program already. Anybody have input?

I have a high undergraduate GPA, mediocre GRE's, lots of research experience. Anybody have any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
Last year, I applied to several PsyD and PhD programs in school psychology (I applied straight from undergrad). I was invited for interviews for most of the programs I applied to but I was accepted to none. I applied for a Master's in School Psychology at the last minute and got in. I am now in the Master's program in my first year and I am reapplying to the doctoral programs because the doctorate is my goal. I am concerned that the doctoral programs might dismiss my application because I'm in a program already. Anybody have input?

I have a high undergraduate GPA, mediocre GRE's, lots of research experience. Anybody have any advice for me?

A friend of mine left halfway through a Masters in Mental Health Counseling program for a Clinical PhD program. Anecdotal, I know, but it can be done.

I completed a MA in psychology to prep for a PhD program. I applied and got accepted. Difference being I completed the program. I am aware of a few others who applied to PhD programs from an applied MA program (right before finishing) and got accepted. I think a big part of selling yourself as a good fit in your cover letter/essay/interview is to discuss why it is important for you to get a PhD? Why is it the next necessary step for you? Why aren't you finishing your program? I think these are just a few questions to consider…my two cents anyway, hope it is helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

If you search the forums (could be trick to come up with the right terms, but maybe something like, "leaving masters program early"), you should be able to find a few previous threads and posts on this topic. In general, the consensus has been that while it may not get your application automatically tossed by reviewers, it seems likely to be viewed as at least a small red flag by many/most folks.

Personally, I think you might be best served by spending another year to just go ahead and finish out the program, and in the mean time work on continuing to strengthen your application via active participation in research. But that's just my take.