Reapplying to all instate schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant, and want to know if I should even bother applying to all./most of my MD instate schools when my stats are below average?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in CA? Not sure where you are, and that answer determines what advice we would give...

Members don't see this ad :)
When your stats are below average, you usually have to do more than apply/reapply to get in.

Have you looked into improving your MCAT score? Doing more undergrad? Doing an SMP?

Often there's no home state advantage at a private school. Most of PA's med schools are private.

Best of luck to you.

Since you'll be applying to private schools as well as public, it can't hurt to add them, but just remember, places that are 'top tier' aren't going to look at you, so maybe skip those... I don't remember what your stats are, but if you're within their low range according to the MSAR, it's worth a shot if you get an IS benefit

at least PA has a lot of GOOD schools comparing to its neighboring states. LOL. PSU will be your best shot.

PCOM... don't forget your DO school...

Yeah, I was thinking the Commonwealth college, not Temple (although i did go there) because theyre too high. I wasnt thinking PSU either, because its' quite high.. I improved my MCAT, but I don't think its worth temple/psu/drexel crowd.

What does that mean? It's ~100$ to do each school, is 100$ a waste for that? I don't think it is...

I'm not going to apply to schools that are reaches for me, even if its just 100$, i dont have $100 x 3 or 4...

You need to contact the school Dean, if you plan saving up money, and see if your stats are where they want.
Msars helps but i find it better to talk to person.