Reapplying to DO & MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oj6161991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reapplying last semester fairly late (sometime in september) I will submit my application this year the day that the system opens on June 2nd. I have a 27 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA. I am foreign (Lived in Poland until I was 7) and bilingual and have tons of extracurriculars like starting my own club, acting as VP for another club and so forth. I have over 200 hours shadowing an MD and 25 hours shadowing a DO and over 140 hours volunteering in the ER. I know academically I might not be totally competitive but I think I kind of stand out with my versatility. I am a licensed pilot and open water diver which might sound different or it could mean absolutely nothing. I have peer instructed cadaver lab 3 years in a row, acted as the supplemental instructor for Anatomy for three semesters, and tutored at my university for two years. How does my situation look? I would like to get into a Chicago area school. I would absolutely love to get into UIC but I think Midwestern would be easier for me to get into. Feedback would be appreciated, thank you sdn community!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any sort of volunteer service? Your experience is good, other stuff is good too. What's going to keep you back is maybe a lack of volunteering and those abysmal scores. 3.3 is well below the average for MD schools, as is 27. You've been smart to shadow a DO, and your MCAT is just a little below DO averages, but again your GPA is far below average. If you really want to apply this round, go DO, but I think it would be smarter to ace the MCAT or retake classes to bring that GPA up.

Reactions: 1 user
I have volunteered for 140+ hours in an emergency room, also the club I am a part of did lots of volunteer activities setting up educational events for kids and fundraisers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then it's really just your scores that are going to hold you back. Applying this round would be risky without improving one or the other!

I actually just got accepted into Midwestern University's 9 month Masters of Art in Biomedical Sciences program. I intend to attend the program in the fall while interview season is ongoing. Do you think it will affect my applications positively? As in the schools will like the fact that I am in the program at the time, or will they demand that I finish the program and re-apply again to decide if I have improved.

Mo
Do you think it will affect my applications positively?

The schools want to know that you can handle medical school. So prove it by acing that SMP. Merely being in the program will not do anything, and, in fact, no med school is doing any favors by admitting you if you are at risk for failing out.
As in the schools will like the fact that I am in the program at the time, or will they demand that I finish the program and re-apply again to decide if I have improved.

Is your 3.3 your overall? What is your science gpa?

A 27 is not bad for Most DO, but if you're set on MD, then SMP