Reapplying to Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hombrejay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on reapplying when the cycle reopens in August. My reasons for this were made aware when I was rejected this cycle from my first choice school. I applied to Kent, Scholl, DMU, and Barry. Barry was my first choice. The reason was solely proximity. My fiancee and I are expecting our first child early May. I would have family about 6 hours away from Miami, and flights from Fort Lauderdale back home for her family were the lowest for all schools. When I was rejected from Barry, I didn't realize until then that in all actuality, Barry was our only choice. With a newborn, finding babysitters and such, would be difficult. But with our family a few hours away, we could meet them halfway for a break every now and then. Any other school would not provide that comfort for us. As such, there really is no other place we want to be, as neither of us want to spend 4 years in a city without family nearby or the luxury of low flight fares back home.

My stats are: cGPA 3.20, sGPA 3.18, post-baccalaureate science and non-science 3.31 and 4.0, respectively, MCAT 6/7/9. I applied late in the cycle. My application was not complete until mid February. Additionally, to date, I only have one letter of recommendation confirmed with each school. One teacher was old school with snail mail, and the podiatrist's letter will be in by the weekend. I have an MCAT rescheduled under the new scoring system. My questions when reapplying are: is it OK to use the same professors and podiatrist for the letters of recommendation, should I change my personal statement, and will a new, presumably higher, MCAT score help (I studied for 21 consecutive days, about 5 hours a day for the first one).

I have had interview invites from Kent and DMU, despite my LORs having not arrived, while Scholl is still waiting for the letters to process my application. I do not plan on accepting the interviews, and if Scholl offers an interview, I do not think I will accept either. I know I have wasted money this cycle, but as I have admitted to myself, Barry is my only choice. Would I have a chance of getting in Barry if I applied early next cycle? Any advice, recommendations, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Try contacting barry and see if you can speak to an admissions counselor about your specific app. Ask what you can do to improve your chances of matriculating. When did you apply and did you receive an interview at all?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I will contact the admissions office and see. I applied around the second week of February. A week later, I was invited to interviews at Kent and DMU. This week, I received a letter from Barry stating they would be unable to accept me into their class. No interview was offered before I received this letter. Additionally, Scholl is still waiting for two LORs, and as such, no interview has been offered. I have not interviewed at any school, and I don't believe I will. I decided to only apply to Barry next cycle.