Reapplying...What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureENTChicago

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a recent graduate with a bachelor's of sciene in Molecular and Cellular Biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Unfortunately, I will not be getting into medical school this upcoming year, and am preparing myself to reapply this cycle and was looking for some advice on how to improve my application.

GPA/MCAT:
Cumulative GPA = 3.75
Science GPA = 3.70
MCAT= 30

Clinical Experience:
None the first time around, but come the second cycle will have 100+ hrs shadowing, as well as volunteer work in a hospital

Volunteer Experience:
Very minimal the first time around, but come the second cycle I will have 50+ hours volunteering at a retirement home, 50+ hours volunteering at Down Syndrome Awareness House, and leading a program at the Ronald McDonald House

Research Experience:
1 year of research as a volunteer
Will be 2 years before the second cycle as well as being published in a paper

ECs:
2 years on LAS Council (Leadership Program for Liberal Arts and Science students)
3 years on MCB Ligase (Leadership/Tutor Program for Molecular and Cellular Biology Students
Captain on my intramural sports team 3 years (basketball/football)

LORs:
1 from science teacher
1 from non-science teacher
1 from research professor
1 personal

I think the weak points in my application were my volunteering and Letters of Rec, as well as the fact that I waited to apply till late October/Early November.

What do you think my chances are, assuming I apply as early as possible (which I will be!)

Members don't see this ad.

not to be an ass, but i think it's pretty obvious why you weren't able to get in the first time around.

you had no clinical experience and had very minimal volunteering experience. you must show the schools that you know what you are getting yourself into and that you are dedicated to serving/helping others. definitely focus on improving these aspects of your application as you say you will be doing plus more, if possible.

i'd recommend looking for work that gives you great clinical experience, like a scribe

since you're reapplying, schools will expect your application to be significantly improved which means you may need to retake the MCAT. your GPA is pretty good at least so that helps.

definitely get as much clinical experience and volunteering. apply early. possibly consider retaking the MCAT. good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Ya I know why I didn't get in haha. Thanks, for the input though. I have considered retaking the MCAT, but it would be my third time taking it, and I would have to take it in April, meaning I would only get a month to study, so I don't think that would work well for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
give us a list of the schools you applied to, as well as your state of residence

you probably don't need to re-take the MCAT

you'll probably have to at least consider DO

I only applied to my in state schools (I reside in IL), because I knew that I was getting my application out late, and my chances were slim anyway.
So Ros Frank, Stritch, U of I, Rush, and Northwestern
And ya I have looked at DO schools as well.

Hi all,
I am a recent graduate with a bachelor's of sciene in Molecular and Cellular Biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Unfortunately, I will not be getting into medical school this upcoming year, and am preparing myself to reapply this cycle and was looking for some advice on how to improve my application.

GPA/MCAT:
Cumulative GPA = 3.75
Science GPA = 3.70
MCAT= 30

Clinical Experience:
None the first time around, but come the second cycle will have 100+ hrs shadowing, as well as volunteer work in a hospital

Volunteer Experience:
Very minimal the first time around, but come the second cycle I will have 50+ hours volunteering at a retirement home, 50+ hours volunteering at Down Syndrome Awareness House, and leading a program at the Ronald McDonald House

Research Experience:

ECs:
2 years on LAS Council (Leadership Program for Liberal Arts and Science students)
3 years on MCB Ligase (Leadership/Tutor Program for Molecular and Cellular Biology Students

LORs:
1 from science teacher
1 personal

I think the weak points in my application were my volunteering and Letters of Rec, as well as the fact that I waited to apply till late October/Early November.

What do you think my chances are, assuming I apply as early as possible (which I will be!)
Try adding some of the newer schools (Quinnipac, Oakland) and MCW. U of Toledo usually lets you have instate tuition after the first year, so don't be scared off the OOS tuition.
Try the Drexel/Jeffersons/Penn STate too. Good Luck to you.

I only applied to my in state schools (I reside in IL), because I knew that I was getting my application out late, and my chances were slim anyway.
So Ros Frank, Stritch, U of I, Rush, and Northwestern
And ya I have looked at DO schools as well.
I would delete Northwestern, unless that is your hail mary pass, ultra reach. Their stats are really high.

I suggest:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Central MI, Va Tech
Any DO program
Your state school(s).

Hi all,

GPA/MCAT:
Cumulative GPA = 3.75
Science GPA = 3.70
MCAT= 30

Clinical Experience:

Volunteer Experience:

Research Experience:

ECs:

LORs:
1 from science teacher
1 personal