Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDPLEASE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied for admission to the fall programs, but got rejected. Most of the schools told me that my g.p.a. was too low (a 2.9) and I got a 1290 on my GREs. I just graduated from a university with degrees in biology and psychology.

I'm planning on reapplying, but I'm at a loss as to what steps I should take next. This is all so discouraging :( ... I was going to take some classes at a community college, but they don't offer speech pathology or audiology classes. I plan on retaking the GREs but there is no way I can raise my g.p.a at this point.

I've worked in labs and volunteered in hospitals, but I don't think that makes me a great candidate. Is there something that I could do at this point that would help my chances of getting into an Au.D program? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You are probably going to have to do a postbac program to boost your GPA. At my university we have a postbac program in communication sciences and disorders, and there are usually an abundance of people in it. Don't bother with any community college classes.

You didn't specify what type of volunteer and lab work you did, but I think what would make a big difference is if you got to know some people in the field. So try to shadow audiologists, work on some research projects with professors in the field (assuming communication sciences exists at your university)and build on those relationships so when application time comes around again, you'll have some awesome letters of recommendation. You'll need to work your tail off to prove from here until next application cycle that you are capable of doing graduate level work.

It's not impossible to do, I hope this helps.

Thanks JewlsdB! I was thinking about a postbac program too, but my university doesn't offer one in communication disorders or audiology. I tried looking into some before, but I could only find programs for pre-meds and pre-dental students. Do you know where I might be able to find programs offered for pre-audiology students?

I'm volunteering at an audiologist's office and worked in a neuroscience lab (nothing to do with audiology...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a doctoral student in audiology and faced some of the same problems you are going through. Post back would be a good option but most grad programs don't require it. In my experience, if your GPA is not great (as mine wasn't either) make sure you have 3 great letters of recommendation (at least 2 from teachers) and an outstanding letter of intent. Also, it would be very wise to go visit the campus and interview at every school you apply to. They want to meet you in person and verify your interest in the program. Make sure to ask lots of questions. Also, since this will be your second time applying, you will know what to expect in the application process so start now. Also, when you research grad programs, look for how many students are admitted and average gpa. Keep in contact with the admissions director. I would not take the GRE over as you did recieve a very competitive score. Spend your time improving your application materials. Hope this helps!

AUDPLEASE, could you tell us what programs you applied to? I have a similar gpa as yours but a lower gre score and I am a little worried now about getting into a program. Thanks!

I'd like to know as well. Where did you apply?

Persist and re-apply. Even if nothing has changed, persistance will ultimately lead to success. Never give up. The individuals to whom you address your application should be made aware that this is the second time you are applying etc. and will make note of that.

When you figure out what it is you would like to do with your life (professionally, physically, etc.) there is nothing that should stand in your way. You may have limitations as far as which schools you can expect to get into, but ultimately an AuD degree is an AuD degree no matter from which school you receive it. I would suggest flowering your resume in other ways besides the GPA and GRE. Shadowing an audiologist could count for more than you think. Get involved in the audiology world and sort of prove your level of dedication. And good luck.

Hi

I would say that since you have a science background you should apply to Salus in PA. They are a very science based program, and if you have good letters of reccomendation might be able to look at specific classes and overlook the total GPA. They do not look for just your average speech major, though I know a girl who goes there who had a speech background and she loves it. I was not a speech major, I am graduating with a degree in physics and was considering pre-med. They told me, when I went for a tour that since my classes in undergrad were harder than those in some speech programs that they would very much consider me. I have a slightly better GPA but I think that if you take even one class between now and when the fall starts, and you do well in it, you could get in. I would really consider it. It is a beautiful school and it really is the only school to consider if you like bio etc. They have a gross anatomy lab, they are really hands on and they really teach you like a first year med student. Had you looked there?