Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapp ent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I’m a 4th year who recently went unmatched in ENT. It’s been a tough… wow, 1 week… since I found out, but now I’m sliding smoothly into the Acceptance Stage and trying to figure out what’s next. Usually I can find an answer to any burning question I have here or on otomatch, but I really haven’t found much on the topic of reapplying, so I thought I’d post my situation here and hopefully get some individual advice.

Basically,
I’m at an US MD school (not top 50)
Step 1 >255, Step 2 > 265
Not AOA
Top 1/3, reported in deans letter
3rd year: All H grades except for Psych which was a HP; and a Letter of 'scholastic excellence’ for 3rd year
Research: Ongoing ent project since spring of 3rd year, in the process of collecting data during interview season, but NO publications, no abstracts, no posters/presentations to that point.
LOR: 4 from ENT (3 Home, 1 away chairman), I have been told that are all very good.
Applied: 59

11 interview offers + 1 home and 1 away guaranteed interview = 13 rankable

Seemed pretty regionally biased, but if I could do it again, I would have included all of the Midwest, since I got a couple offers from that region and actually my favorite program of all was in the Midwest.

A complicating factor in all this was that I ended up couple’s ranking with my gf who was going for GS. We were pretty confident about matching, and spent most of the time just trying figuring out which combinations we would bother with that seemed geographically reasonable. Had to compromise a bit obviously, had to put a couple programs higher than I otherwise would have if I ranked alone. I’m not sure what role any of this played in our going unmatched, but Hey.

So, I ended up SOAPing into a prelim surgery year at my home. I’ve got about 6 months before the next application process begins and I’m trying to decide what to do. First of all, looking back, I was a little surprised I didn’t get more interview offers. Obviously my research is really weak and research turned out to be more important than I thought when it comes to getting interviews. It was also definitely a very competitive year and met a lot of cool and impressive people along the way.

Anyway, I thought of myself as a decent candidate, and am pretty disappointed about what happened, but I definitely want to try again, and I think I can get a fair amount done in terms of research in the next few months before residency starts. Also, I may be able to rotate through ENT early in the year, and hopefully strengthen my letters. My main concern is that I will be at an immediate and significant disadvantage just because I didn’t match and I’m now a “US Grad” as opposed to a “US Senior.” I have been told a few different things, but I haven’t really been able to find any other posts of people in similar situation. If anyone has been through the reapplication process (or knows someone who has), and can tell me what that status did to the number of interview offers you received in spite of things you did to improve your app, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you say you've heard your letters are all good, then you probably don't need to touch those. Maybe work more on the research aspect. It seems as though you are a strong applicant, so I am wondering if maybe the couples match is where the wrong went wrong.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering what to say about that part in the new personal statement.

I want to explain that I think that was a factor, but I also don't want programs to think I'm not willing to be open geographically. I'd rather do distance with the girl and ENT than compromise and go to her program in another field. I guess I'll probably have to find a more eloquent way of stating that, but that's the general jist.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your grades and Step 1/2 scores, it's hard to imagine why you didn't get more interviews and match.

I think you need to go to the PD at your home ENT program and ask for a very honest review of your application. Something doesn't add up.

I am glad you posted this. I am a long time reader and first time poster.

I also did not match ENT this year. My Step is not as impressive (240/238). I received all HP scores with a few honors in my third year clerkships. Top 1/3rd of class. Not AOA. Lastly, like yourself, I had NO research except for some unpublished undergraduate work.

I had letters from two department heads at different institutions in ENT, an ENT faculty, and a PD from another surgery department whom I had a great experience. I only had 5 interviews, but my letters were brought up in each as being "extremely strong". Two interviews I attribute to just being a local applicant so that leaves only three gained by merit. I can't understand why I had such a low response. Like you, I believe that my research had something to do with it.

I have also matched a prelim surgery position. I would have taken a year off to do research except that I have a family and cannot go without some type of income. I have contacted my ENT research staff and have a meeting in a week to start on research with hopes that I can crank out something.

This is very discouraging. Most people that I have talked to speak like this as an absolute and remind me of the little chance for a US grad to get a PGY-1 position when reapplying.

I understand your pain. I have also been relentlessly looking for information on how best to apply. I hope this thread will help answer some questions.

Ultimately, I am determined to continue pursuing ENT. If anyone has some success stories or advice, it would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
A couple of my interviewers along the trail asked me why I didn't get more interview offers based on how many programs I applied to. I didn't know what to tell them besides there must have been a very competitive group this year. I don't have any failing marks or other marks on my record. I assumed that my problem was the big goose egg in the pubs/abstracts/presentations columns, that maybe it was a cutoff for some or even many programs.

Anyway, I have a meeting with our program director next week. He's very down to Earth and I will really encourage him to be brutally honest with me.

But if I reapply, (assuming some more research experience goes on the app), will I be screened out for many interviews simply because I didn't match the first time?

Thank you for the replies.

I am glad you posted this. I am a long time reader and first time poster.

This is very discouraging. Most people that I have talked to speak like this as an absolute and remind me of the little chance for a US grad to get a PGY-1 position when reapplying.

I understand your pain. I have also been relentlessly looking for information on how best to apply. I hope this thread will help answer some questions.

Ultimately, I am determined to continue pursuing ENT. If anyone has some success stories or advice, it would be very appreciated.

Yeah... I understand that "US Grads" would have an issue with reapplication as a group, but I feel like some people aren't necessary representative of that group. For example, if someone quotes a statistic that says only this % of people in prelim surgery get a categorical gen surg position (pgy1), then I would say that statistic doesn't apply to me because I'm not representative of that group as a whole. I'm hoping that's the case anyway. For ENT, it is obviously different, but I want to hear anecdotal evidence as opposed to national stats because I feel like it would actually be more relevant to our situation. We have something we can improve upon (research), nothing else will change besides our designation, which seems arbitrary, but Idk. That's exactly what I want to find out, though.

Good luck!!

I am very sorry to those of you who didn't match...

Five years ago, I didn't match. I had 15 ranks and had stats on par with most of you. For me, I think the reason I didn't match was because I had below average interview skills.

I scrambled to GS prelim, and then found a vacant ENT spot in October of my prelim year, and was able to transfer midway through my intern year. I am graduating this year.

I agree withe the above sentiment to ask the ENT program director or chairman at you med school to meet with you to have a frank discussion about your situation, and see if they have any recommendations for you.

I found the opening through the ENT program director at my med school. I don't believe it was posted on otomatch. The ENT chairman also made a phone call for me to recommend me for the spot. So, I think my saving grace was having people help me out at the opportune time. Otomatch does have vacancies pop up from time to time. If you get a vibe that your home program isn't behind you, that may make it very tough.

I was preparing to reapply, and if needed do research for a year and apply a third time, but I got incredibly lucky from the position I was in. It is not an easy road. But yes, it can happen.

One difficult aspect is that a full prelim gen surg year does not completely transfer to ENT residency. You need a mix of rotations like ER, anesthesia, neurosurgery, ICU, etc. This might be a reason to consider reasearch over a prelim year.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

I'm curious to know how you went about the process of obtaining an NRMP waiver. I have been researching ways to get out of my prelim match contract in the instance that a PGY-1 position does open.

I have read that you must obtain a waiver and notify your PD before beginning to seek a position. Thus, from my understanding, you must leave the position before you seek a new one. This seems counterintuitive for me since I would not want to release my position without the security of lining up another job.

My prelim position is at my home institution and the PD is well aware that I am seeking an ENT opening.

I don't want to digress too much away from the OP's original discussion, but felt that this information could be good for both of us.

My prelim position is at my home institution and the PD is well aware that I am seeking an ENT opening.

That's the key point. Prelim programs should hopefully not interfere with you trying to get the rare spot that opens up. Chances are pretty good you will be there the whole year, from their perspective. A waiver issue never came up.

Wow, it's really brutal out there. I'm very glad I don't have to apply to ENT again.

For Reapp, I would be concerned about your interview skills and the impression you made. You still had 13 interviews, which made you statistically very likely to match. I honestly don't know how the couples match works, so I can't comment on how that might have affected your outcome. The only real flaw on your app is the lack of research, but it seems that you applied broadly enough to get >10 interviews, which should be your goal.

For Otodreaming, your application is average to below average and you also have no research. You didn't say how many programs you applied to, but you should have applied to all of them with your stats.

For future applicants, publish or perish.

Lot's to think about, for sure.

Any idea how being a reapplicant affects interview offers the second time around?

That's harsh. Sorry things didn't work out in the match. The sun also rises.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting some brutally honest assessments of your application. It would be very easy to toss up your hands and blame this on the couple's match. That might ultimately be the cause but you will want to fill any holes as best you can in the next 12 months. Research is important....I'm not sure why, but it is important.

Maybe you interview poorly? Overly nervous? Too laid back? Arrogant prick? Harsh accent? Ugly suit? Good hygiene? Bulge in pants too big or too small? No sense of humor? Kiss too much ass? Ask stupid questions or none at all? The list goes on but you get the idea. You need an honest assessment of your interview performance.

There are geographic biases. If you are from the East coast then some programs in the South and Midwest might assume you will not want to match there and won't waste time giving you an interview. You need to apply far and wide not only in terms of geography but also in terms of tiers of programs. Even the biggest badasses in the applicant pool will get rejected by 3 or 4 of the top 10 programs. Why? Who the hell knows but it happens and so everyone has to spread his/her application to different program tiers to have the best shot at interviewing and matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:
Maybe you interview poorly? Overly nervous? Too laid back? Arrogant prick? Harsh accent? Ugly suit? Good hygiene? Bulge in pants too big or too small? No sense of humor? Kiss too much ass? Ask stupid questions or none at all? The list goes on but you get the idea. You need an honest assessment of your interview performance.

I'm proof that you can still match with this problem... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's harsh. Sorry things didn't work out in the match. The sun also rises.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting some brutally honest assessments of your application. It would be very easy to toss up your hands and blame this on the couple's match. That might ultimately be the cause but you will want to fill any holes as best you can in the next 12 months. Research is important....I'm not sure why, but it is important.

There are geographic biases. If you are from the East coast then some programs in the South and Midwest might assume you will not want to match there and won't waste time giving you an interview. You need to apply far and wide not only in terms of geography but also in terms of tiers of programs. Even the biggest badasses in the applicant pool will get rejected by 3 or 4 of the top 10 programs. Why? Who the hell knows but it happens and so everyone has to spread his/her application to different program tiers to have the best shot at interviewing and matching.

Hmm... Not my problems many of these... I have no accent (I'm white), my suit is new and fits like a glove, I possibly don't have program-specific-enough questions to ask, but that's probably it. I really enjoyed the interviews that were just casual conversations and seemed like, "I wanna get to know you," types of interactions, which is how I felt 80% of the conversations were. I feel like I should probably tighten up my answer to, "why ENT?" a bit for the next go around, but other than that I feel like the interviews went well. My main goal going into interviews was to get a feel for the residents, and whether I felt like I could interact with them as colleagues/friends as opposed to what sort of thyroid or peds airway cases they had as a graduate.. And that's how my questions were... Are you happy (are the residents happy), what do you do for fun (how do the residents interact with the faculty/each other), What are you excited about for the program, what changes do you anticipate.... generic and repetitive for sure, but honest. I want to train with people I get along with - the residency training has to do with what I'm willing to put in to get what I want out of it.

I've contacted a couple of programs via the coordinators to see what was lacking and whether or not I can join in on some case reports/ projects to get some ink down in those areas of my app. I'll let you know how it goes... Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Sorry to hear about this. What a blow.

I'll try to offer you my opinion on this, since I deal with medical students year-round and write many letters of recommendation. I write this from an unassuming perspective.

Your application has a number inconsistencies. You have excellent board scores but are only top third and not AOA.

You have no research. This was an anomaly for this cycle. People had research -- lots of research.

You said your letters of recommendation were "very good." Who said this? How many times did you hear this?

If you applied to 59 programs and only got 13 interviews, then 46 programs didn't have room to interview you or didn't want to interview you.

To assess this, here are the issues.
1. How many times did you email/call the residency coordinator? (Not the PD.) If you badgered any of the RCs, that often results in a "DNI" -- do not interview.
2. 59 programs sounds broad, but I am not sure how many program there are.
3. Did you ask any of your interviewers to call people?
4. some programs interview only 20 people because they always get their top 3. You may not have gotten an interview because of this.
5. How good were your letters? Obviously those who interviewed you felt your letters were good. However, those that rejected you may have felt your letters were lukewarm or frankly unhelpful. That's probably a big reason.
6. Research. See above.
7. Residents talk to one another. I remember doing this when I was a resident. Buddies would call me to get the real scoop on a student.
8. Personal statement. Who reviewed your statement other than yourself? Did the PD read it? Did the people writing your letters read it? If not, that may need some improvement.

For the 13 programs you did visit, here is my take on why you didn't match.
1. Statistics. It may be that simple. I don't know how the couples match played into this, but it may have.
2. Too casual. I see a lot of medical students who want to make attendings and residents feel like they are BFFs and are just too informal and friendly. If this is you, that's a mistake. Remember: you're on a job interview in a surgical program.
3. Canned answers. We see through these rehearsed answers because everyone uses them to answer the "why do you want to come here?" questions.
4. Related to #3, you don't know enough about the programs to ask intelligent questions of the program.
5. You said you suit fit like a glove, but how well groomed were you? Scruff? Rock star hair or tightly cropped hair? Beard? Goatee? It'd be the same if a woman wore a miniskirt or showed a lot of cleavage. You have to look like you're going to church at some of these places. Some people care about this stuff.
6. Occasionally a student says something the wrong way to one of the residents during the interview and it propagates.
7. Some students get caught in lies by putting stuff on their application that they don't really do.

I agree with some of the others here: you need to sit down with your PD and figure it out. Your chances of matching as a not just a US grad but a US grad that didn't match are a lot slimmer now, mainly because you will face the question posed by every program: why do you think you didn't match? And after you have this discussion, you need to seriously think about how badly you want to do ENT? It will be a long road.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this. What a blow.

I'll try to offer you my opinion on this, since I deal with medical students year-round and write many letters of recommendation. I write this from an unassuming perspective.

Your application has a number inconsistencies. You have excellent board scores but are only top third and not AOA.

You have no research. This was an anomaly for this cycle. People had research -- lots of research.

You said your letters of recommendation were "very good." Who said this? How many times did you hear this?

If you applied to 59 programs and only got 13 interviews, then 46 programs didn't have room to interview you or didn't want to interview you.

To assess this, here are the issues.
1. How many times did you email/call the residency coordinator? (Not the PD.) If you badgered any of the RCs, that often results in a "DNI" -- do not interview.
2. 59 programs sounds broad, but I am not sure how many program there are.
3. Did you ask any of your interviewers to call people?
4. some programs interview only 20 people because they always get their top 3. You may not have gotten an interview because of this.
5. How good were your letters? Obviously those who interviewed you felt your letters were good. However, those that rejected you may have felt your letters were lukewarm or frankly unhelpful. That's probably a big reason.
6. Research. See above.
7. Residents talk to one another. I remember doing this when I was a resident. Buddies would call me to get the real scoop on a student.
8. Personal statement. Who reviewed your statement other than yourself? Did the PD read it? Did the people writing your letters read it? If not, that may need some improvement.

For the 13 programs you did visit, here is my take on why you didn't match.
1. Statistics. It may be that simple. I don't know how the couples match played into this, but it may have.
2. Too casual. I see a lot of medical students who want to make attendings and residents feel like they are BFFs and are just too informal and friendly. If this is you, that's a mistake. Remember: you're on a job interview in a surgical program.
3. Canned answers. We see through these rehearsed answers because everyone uses them to answer the "why do you want to come here?" questions.
4. Related to #3, you don't know enough about the programs to ask intelligent questions of the program.
5. You said you suit fit like a glove, but how well groomed were you? Scruff? Rock star hair or tightly cropped hair? Beard? Goatee? It'd be the same if a woman wore a miniskirt or showed a lot of cleavage. You have to look like you're going to church at some of these places. Some people care about this stuff.
6. Occasionally a student says something the wrong way to one of the residents during the interview and it propagates.
7. Some students get caught in lies by putting stuff on their application that they don't really do.

I agree with some of the others here: you need to sit down with your PD and figure it out. Your chances of matching as a not just a US grad but a US grad that didn't match are a lot slimmer now, mainly because you will face the question posed by every program: why do you think you didn't match? And after you have this discussion, you need to seriously think about how badly you want to do ENT? It will be a long road.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for your reply. For future applicants:

1. I called one coordinator one time, and she was an absolute sweetheart and gave me a last minute interview a few days later. Use sparingly.
2. 60 = Average number of applications
3. No, I didn't ask any interviewers to call anyone
4. Definitely, I know several people who were more qualified than me that were rejected from a certain midwest program that I was offered an interview from. I think the reason was because they really emphasized resident/faculty community and close relationships and I emphasized that exact thing in my personal statement. That's the kind of program I want to be at.
5. I was told my letters were excellent by my dean, several interviewers told me my letters were excellent and read me excerpts, I don't know what really amazing letters are supposed to sound like, but I'm pretty sure mine were at least average in the pool that matched.
6. Do research early, like second year. Get your name on anything, it is used as a screening tool.
7. Don't be a freak?
8. Definitely review your personal statement, especially if it has specific ENT cases, make sure they're reviewed for accuracy/completeness.

1. If you want to couples match, don't declare it on ERAS, the programs have no right to know, and it will just get you screened out of programs as competitive as ENT as an unnecessary nuisance
2. Maybe I was too casual. I want to go to a place where I think I will get along with the residents as friends and colleagues. Work is done better when people are good at their jobs and work well with each other because they actually like their colleagues. My opinion anyways. I think most people are looking for a residency where people are getting along.
3. Every program has its strengths though and is basically laid out for you during the welcome presentation (Wayne State: I like your emphasis on academics and I appreciate how 75% of your graduates go on to fellowships). I guess that is canned.
4. Every interview (9 interviewers a day on average) ask you if you have questions, there are going to be some repeats. I definitely had generic questions, didn't think that was a make or break.
5. Fitting suit, nice tie, full or half windsor depending on the thickness of the tie material, cleanly shaven, hair combed. Skip the four-in-hand, stained ties, and mutton-chops.
6. I don't know about talking to the residents, I think that most residents are pretty normal people and talk about normal things, I don't think I upset or offended anyone. The dinners before hand are there for you to get to know the residents, or that is what is claimed. I guess they are a sort of a pre-interview, but as long as you don't get drunk or say something inappropriate they aren't supposed to affect you. Having a beer and being able to talk about interests outside of medicine is a plus.
7. Don't lie.

Good advice above. While a little different than your situation we didn't match one year. Got a guy in the scramble who didn't match. He was/is a stud. Sometimes this process sucks but not matching doesn't mean you aren't capable. Hang in there and work on the above.

"Residency: Otolaryngology & FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY"? sorry bro, that's not a residency...nor is it an accredited fellowship. just thought i'd point that out. if you want to be a plastic surgeon, why not do a plastic surgery residency?

If you say you've heard your letters are all good, then you probably don't need to touch those. Maybe work more on the research aspect. It seems as though you are a strong applicant, so I am wondering if maybe the couples match is where the wrong went wrong.

Dude...

"Residency: Otolaryngology & FACIAL PLASTIC SURGERY"? sorry bro, that's not a residency...nor is it an accredited fellowship. just thought i'd point that out. if you want to be a plastic surgeon, why not do a plastic surgery residency?

Interview question: Why do you think you didn't match?

How are we supposed to answer this question? I see this as a potential to start out lining your negative qualities and why someone would not possibly take you the first time around. It seems this one has to be answered pretty strategically and carefully.

Any advice?

Interview question: Why do you think you didn't match?

How are we supposed to answer this question? I see this as a potential to start out lining your negative qualities and why someone would not possibly take you the first time around. It seems this one has to be answered pretty strategically and carefully.

Any advice?

Be honest.

You can't talk away bad USMLE scores or grades. But you can say that you didn't apply broadly, you hadn't done enough research about programs, you increased your research, you sat down and strategized with your PD, etc.

You then need to be very firm and believable when you say that you're a better candidate and would be an asset to their program.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Is it really that important? IMO, an otolaryngologist has to have core fundamentals of plastic and cosmetic surgery of the face. Leaving a scar there is totally different than one on the chest.

Ask anyone who had a large BCC under their eye removed and was left with an ectropion.

Do you recommend changing it this cycle to include info on not matching and steps I took to improve myself?

In retrospect, I think that mine could have been better. I have children and I believe mentioning them in my personal statement could have made reviewers feel that I have too many outside obligations to be an effective resident. I am definitely going to ask this question when I have my application reviewed next week by my department chair and program director.

Also, I was told today by another ENT faculty that how I perform on my surgical prelim will have a major impact to my application and answer questions about me as an effective resident. I definitely plan to be a "rockstar" this year.

Last edited:
Dude...

That's what the DO's call their otolaryngology residencies.

Dude...

This individual is confused. :shrug:

My program director said he was surprised I didn't match, and blamed it on the couples match. He said I should I apply again. He also said that I should hang with ENT, try to do a rotation, go to ENT grand rounds (if I don't have to go to GS grand rounds, etc.), and continue my research.

He also said that PGY-1 applicants to ENT can be at a disadvantage because there isn't GME money available for them, that the program has to find the money. He said that every year they end up interviewing a few pgy-1's that slipped through. This is what I was curious about, so I asked the head of GME at my school. He said that that is not true. In order to use up your GME funding, you have to start out in a board eligible specialty and then switch. E.g., if someone were to complete a residency in IM, and then decide to apply for ENT, they would only have full GME funding for 2 years, because they already completed a 3 year board-eligible residency. The remaining 3 years the hospital would receive half of the money for that resident and would have to find the other half some place else. Because prelim surgery is not a board eligible residency, the "clock hasn't started yet" for us, which is how the GME director put it. By doing a prelim year - whatever other stigma is associated with it - it doesn't affect GME funding.
He also said that it is not uncommon for program directors to be unsure of GME rules, and that it is very complicated. I'm a little bit worried that my program director is giving me a bull sht reason for why he can't be enthusiastic about me matching at the program next year in order to make me feel better. I want to let him know that the GME funding wouldn't be an issue if that is truly his major concern, but I don't want to bring it up if that's just a convenient reason for him not to accept me. I can't really think of a reason why he would dislike me or think that I'd be a bad resident, but I don't know, this whole situation has put a big hole in my confidence.

I meet with him again in 2 weeks... What should I do?

I hope this info about the GME funding helps someone else.

Reapp-

I think your program director is probably being straight with you.

Usually, program directors have to deal with conflict and shortcomings frequently enough, such that I don't think he/she would give a ingenuine reason just to get you out of his/her hair. Also, I am sure he/she tried to give you an honest assessment of why you didn't match for your own benefit. Just reassess and make sure you didn't just hear what you wanted to hear.

It sounds like there is am honest misunderstanding by either the PD or the GME. I have definitely heard the concern of your PD before, but it may be commonly confused with other transferring issues, as you mentioned. PD are usually busy w their clinical practice, so they don't sit around all day thinking about these things. It isn't that critical to correct the misunderstanding right now, but you could do some more research on it.

It sounds like you have your ent dept on your side. I would focus on staying involved in a positive light over the next year. Do some research, go to grand rounds, see what other ideas your PD has when you meet next. Just don't be too needy bc the big favors you need will come in the future.

Hey everyone,

I’m a 4th year who recently went unmatched in ENT. It’s been a tough… wow, 1 week… since I found out, but now I’m sliding smoothly into the Acceptance Stage and trying to figure out what’s next. Usually I can find an answer to any burning question I have here or on otomatch, but I really haven’t found much on the topic of reapplying, so I thought I’d post my situation here and hopefully get some individual advice.

Basically,
I’m at an US MD school (not top 50)
Step 1 >255, Step 2 > 265
Not AOA
Top 1/3, reported in deans letter
3rd year: All H grades except for Psych which was a HP; and a Letter of 'scholastic excellence’ for 3rd year
Research: Ongoing ent project since spring of 3rd year, in the process of collecting data during interview season, but NO publications, no abstracts, no posters/presentations to that point.
LOR: 4 from ENT (3 Home, 1 away chairman), I have been told that are all very good.
Applied: 59

11 interview offers + 1 home and 1 away guaranteed interview = 13 rankable

Seemed pretty regionally biased, but if I could do it again, I would have included all of the Midwest, since I got a couple offers from that region and actually my favorite program of all was in the Midwest.

A complicating factor in all this was that I ended up couple’s ranking with my gf who was going for GS. We were pretty confident about matching, and spent most of the time just trying figuring out which combinations we would bother with that seemed geographically reasonable. Had to compromise a bit obviously, had to put a couple programs higher than I otherwise would have if I ranked alone. I’m not sure what role any of this played in our going unmatched, but Hey.

So, I ended up SOAPing into a prelim surgery year at my home. I’ve got about 6 months before the next application process begins and I’m trying to decide what to do. First of all, looking back, I was a little surprised I didn’t get more interview offers. Obviously my research is really weak and research turned out to be more important than I thought when it comes to getting interviews. It was also definitely a very competitive year and met a lot of cool and impressive people along the way.

Anyway, I thought of myself as a decent candidate, and am pretty disappointed about what happened, but I definitely want to try again, and I think I can get a fair amount done in terms of research in the next few months before residency starts. Also, I may be able to rotate through ENT early in the year, and hopefully strengthen my letters. My main concern is that I will be at an immediate and significant disadvantage just because I didn’t match and I’m now a “US Grad” as opposed to a “US Senior.” I have been told a few different things, but I haven’t really been able to find any other posts of people in similar situation. If anyone has been through the reapplication process (or knows someone who has), and can tell me what that status did to the number of interview offers you received in spite of things you did to improve your app, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

Wow, sorry to hear that man. With the stats and number of interviews you had, you definitely should've matched. But, this application cycle was especially competitive, and I'm not surprised a few well-qualified people went unmatched. In fact, a friend of mine with great stats and glowing LORs went on 10+ interviews but ended up not matching. He had to SOAP for a prelim surgery spot but is going to reapply next year for IM, planning to do interventional cardiology eventually. He got so sickened by the outcome of the match and doesn't want to pursue ENT anymore.

The things that could've worked against you IMO are couples match and the lack of publications. Otherwise I assume you have good interviewing skills. Definitely work with your department and spend the remaining time getting a paper or two published. A case report or systematic review shouldn't take you too long to do. And also for the next cycle apply broadly and interview at as many places as your schedule and money allow. Of course you will have to coordinate with your gf when doing this.

Don't give up. I think you still have a chance if you're willing to improve your deficient areas. Good luck.

I agree with DrBo. I'm not sure what the sinister motivation might be in this case. Your PD was probably misinformed about the GME funding. Honestly, I get pretty involved in medical student and resident affairs and I thought it was that way too. Unfortunate how false information permeates our field easily.

We're all human, however. Misunderstandings like this shouldn't come as a surprise.

How many students from your school applied? Were you the only one? Just a few?

Meeting the PD again would be a good idea so the two of you could find some strategies for the next year. This will be a tough year and a test of your character and resolve against significant odds. It would behoove you to keep tabs with SF Match (if they post immediate openings) and any other website out there where such things are noticed.

I guess I'm being a bit paranoid about it, but it's a bummer that he operates from that perspective regarding interviewing pgy-1's. The tone of the conversation we had made it sound like I would be very competitive to match to my home program if it weren't for the GME money issue. That's why I want to try to correct the misunderstanding.

We had a tough year; more than 5 applied, only 1 matched. Half of the others matched into a backup and the other half (including me) SOAP'ed into prelim med/surg. As far as I know, I'm the only one who is planning to reapply.

I also did not match this year. top 20 med school per USWNR, great ent department, apparently strong letters by well known faculty (commented on at multiple interviews).
i went on 12 interviews, got 14 offers. applied to about 50 programs
my boards were on par with other applicants for the most part - >250 step 1, >260 step 2.
grades may have been below average in comparison - H in surgery, peds, family med, neurology, HP in psych, outpatient med, ob/gyn, P in medicine.
Did a year of research between 3rd and 4th year - had 3-4 presentations, first place award at trio last year for a poster, but only a couple papers that were submitted but not yet accepted.
i also did not do any aways.

I think my problems were as following - one P in medicine probably screened me out of interviews at some programs. two - not having published prolifically despite a year of research may have been a red flag at some programs. three and probably the biggest - my interview style.

i am a humble and laid back person by nature, so i imagine i was perhaps somewhat informal for the merits of the situation (job interview), my demeanor doesn't necessarily lend itself to the appearance of excitement or interest, so programs may have been taken aback by that. i don't think i asked great questions of programs when presented with that opportunity and also didn't feel like i had chances to really try to sell myself as an applicant to a program.

another factor may be that i did undergrad and med school at the same institution, and therefore other programs may have ranked me lower because i would likely not rank them above my home institution. in at least 4 of my interviews, there were comments that alluded to the idea that i would not likely leave and i clearly didn't do a good enough job of dispelling those thoughts. i don't honestly believe that this was a significant factor in why i didn't match because in my mind, if a program wanted me enough they would have ranked me highly regardless.

i am doing a prelim gen surg year at my home institution. i would like to reapply to ENT, but i am scared of having this same outcome next march. i don't see how i can really improve my application at all other than publishing some of my work from the research year, which hopefully should happen by the time applications open next year.

i am most likely to pursue anesthesia residency or continue with general surgery even though i dislike most areas of general surgery (bowel and vascular mainly). i would love to land a pgy 2 spot in ENT, but understand that its probably a pipedream.

just wanted to share my experience for current unmatched folks and people applying next year. would be great if any of the attendings or residents on this forum could weigh in specifically with any advice or insight. thanks

Push had and get your home institution to take you. Meet with PD and see why he thinks you didn't match and what you can do to stay on. Repeat intern year if needed. Your best chance will be at your home institution.