Reascent rise in advertisements directed at Binge Eating d/o

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone feel strange about rise in advertisements for binge eating disorder (or "BED" as it has now been essentially branded). First I saw these advertisements in our journals/throw-away magazines (it was also in May/JUne 2016 Carlat report) about the disorder itself, then Vyvanse gets approved, now I saw this commercial.

--I can't but feel that this is done to drive up sales of Vyvanse. I mean out of all psychiatric illnesses we choose to bombard psychiatrists and the public with Binge Eating disorder?
--Any ideas of who is funding all this?
--Who is making profits?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
--I can't but feel that this is done to drive up sales of Vyvanse. I mean out of all psychiatric illnesses we choose to bombard psychiatrists and the public with Binge Eating disorder?
--Who is making profits?
Of course these are being made to drive up sales of Vyvanse. That's pretty standard advertising and not terribly interesting. If you need more proof, the end of the video shows the sponsors, one of which is Shire pharmaceuticals, the makers of Vyvanse.

Look at this ad. I've cued it up so you don't have to watch all of The View (I'm a masochist and tend to watch it even though I hate it). Cedric the Entertainer is on talking about various and sundry things and they suddenly turn the conversation to nerve pain and a campaign with the American Diabetic Association called "Step on Up." And then they go right back to talking about whatever other stuff they talk about. It's an ad in sheep's clothing for Lyrica!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone feel strange about rise in advertisements for binge eating disorder (or "BED" as it has now been essentially branded). First I saw these advertisements in our journals/throw-away magazines (it was also in May/JUne 2016 Carlat report) about the disorder itself, then Vyvanse gets approved, now I saw this commercial.

--Who is making profits?

huh? It's the same old bull**** as usual in our field......nothing new to see. move along.

It's 'evergreening' to extend the patent life. Regardless, Vyvanse is a great medication with wide ranging off-label utility. It's my go to choice for ADHD. I use it for binge eaters to help with the impulsivity of binge eating unless it's clearly night eating 'syndrome'. Also useful for medication refractory depression, chemo brain, and non-ADHD/binge eating impulsivity.
The copay cards make it very affordable for most pts and there are few rejections or requirements for step therapy if the PA indicates your a BC shrink with a valid reason for using it as a first-line choice. Once your receptionist does a few of the PAs with various reasons she'll have the PA pre-filled for you. I don't even see PA forms any longer since I just gave her a sig stamp.