reasonable pay rate...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lltpharmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In these times, it's hard to find a job! The market is oversaturated now with the economy making big corporations cut hours and decrease hiring and schools churning out more students than ever.

Question: An independent that I interviewed with was offering $30/hour! Unbelievably low compared to retail chains. Everything about it sounds good; great hours M-F 9-5pm Sat 9-12pm. I'd have off every other Friday/Saturday. It's located in a medical office with peds, dentist and family practice. Avg script count is 120/day. No benefits though except for 1 week paid vacation and increase in vacation pay with tenure. This is in Illinois.

Is this too low, or are a lot of you getting the same type of offers. The owner said that a few years ago he had to decrease pay to this rate because of the economy. He has four other locations, I am assuming the Rph's there also get the same pay.

Please respond and let me know what competition is offering.

I feel as though, nowadays pharmacists are getting paid more to just verify than to do anything else so $30 is decent but I really don't want to be underpaid for my services!

Members don't see this ad.

In these times, it's hard to find a job! The market is oversaturated now with the economy making big corporations cut hours and decrease hiring and schools churning out more students than ever.

Question: An independent that I interviewed with was offering $30/hour! Unbelievably low compared to retail chains. Everything about it sounds good; great hours M-F 9-5pm Sat 9-12pm. I'd have off every other Friday/Saturday. It's located in a medical office with peds, dentist and family practice. Avg script count is 120/day. No benefits though except for 1 week paid vacation and increase in vacation pay with tenure. This is in Illinois.

Is this too low, or are a lot of you getting the same type of offers. The owner said that a few years ago he had to decrease pay to this rate because of the economy. He has four other locations, I am assuming the Rph's there also get the same pay.

I feel as though, nowadays pharmacists are getting paid more to just verify than to do anything else so $30 is decent but I really don't want to be underpaid for my services!
I'll just say that is officially the lowest I've personally seen or even heard about anecdotally. I'd probably only consider it if there was a chance for partnering with the owner now/in the near future and eventually owning the pharmacy.

Are you serious? I tutor after school and I get that much. :(

Members don't see this ad :)

No professional should take a salary that low. It is an insult to your knowledge and training.

If I was in your shoes and the market was really that tight, I would move before taking an offer for $30 an hour. The market is saturated in MA/NH too but many of my classmates did get jobs although some had to commute. I am originally from Maine so I moved back after school and I was offered to start more than double what your pay is. Id shop around to see if there is others hiring in your area... if not, id consider other parts of the country.

good luck

30 dollars/hours with no benefits? After you pay for your own benefits out of pocket.. you are essentially left with what hourly wage? You might as well get a job as a barista.

Unbelievable!

If you can get paid in cash, it would end up being an okay deal

That is way way too low.. I do a PRN job and work from home and they pay at least 40/hr...dont take it... if it is that great an offer he should find someone else to take it..

I'd take it in a heartbeat if they paid cash only haha