About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reasonable pay rate...

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by lltpharmd, Jul 13, 2011.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. lltpharmd

lltpharmd

Pharmacist

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    In these times, it's hard to find a job! The market is oversaturated now with the economy making big corporations cut hours and decrease hiring and schools churning out more students than ever.

Question: An independent that I interviewed with was offering $30/hour! Unbelievably low compared to retail chains. Everything about it sounds good; great hours M-F 9-5pm Sat 9-12pm. I'd have off every other Friday/Saturday. It's located in a medical office with peds, dentist and family practice. Avg script count is 120/day. No benefits though except for 1 week paid vacation and increase in vacation pay with tenure. This is in Illinois.

Is this too low, or are a lot of you getting the same type of offers. The owner said that a few years ago he had to decrease pay to this rate because of the economy. He has four other locations, I am assuming the Rph's there also get the same pay.

Please respond and let me know what competition is offering.

I feel as though, nowadays pharmacists are getting paid more to just verify than to do anything else so $30 is decent but I really don't want to be underpaid for my services!
  2. homeslice

homeslice

Fellow [Any Field]
    NCPA SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'll just say that is officially the lowest I've personally seen or even heard about anecdotally. I'd probably only consider it if there was a chance for partnering with the owner now/in the near future and eventually owning the pharmacy.
  3. aabdraff57

aabdraff57

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are you serious? I tutor after school and I get that much. :(
  4. 1ive2die

1ive2die

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No professional should take a salary that low. It is an insult to your knowledge and training.
  5. Ritalin

Ritalin

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If I was in your shoes and the market was really that tight, I would move before taking an offer for $30 an hour. The market is saturated in MA/NH too but many of my classmates did get jobs although some had to commute. I am originally from Maine so I moved back after school and I was offered to start more than double what your pay is. Id shop around to see if there is others hiring in your area... if not, id consider other parts of the country.

good luck
  6. Charlottefromca

Charlottefromca

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    30 dollars/hours with no benefits? After you pay for your own benefits out of pocket.. you are essentially left with what hourly wage? You might as well get a job as a barista.
  7. veyep

veyep Got Books? Lifetime Donor

Pharmacist
    NCPA SDN 5+ Year Member
    Unbelievable!
  8. type b pharmD

type b pharmD

Pharmacist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    If you can get paid in cash, it would end up being an okay deal
  9. Tostem

Tostem

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist
    That is way way too low.. I do a PRN job and work from home and they pay at least 40/hr...dont take it... if it is that great an offer he should find someone else to take it..
  10. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Published Author SDN 5+ Year Member
    OP probably made his choice back in July. ;)
  11. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies

Pharmacist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'd take it in a heartbeat if they paid cash only haha