Reasons for Attending OOS over Cheaper IS School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRZ8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some reasons to justify attending an out-of-state school over an in-state school if the OOS school is 100-200k more expensive than the IS school?

Why spend more money if you're getting the same degree?

Members don't see this ad.

assuming you got into your state school, correct? Personally, I wouldn't go to an OOS school vs my state school for that cost, however, there are several state schools that give instate after a year and depending on their location, cost of living might be such that it ends up being close to the same or less to attend????

Only if the OOS is significantly much better than your IS school.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, Utah is super super brand new. Something to consider.

Also if you would be miserable living in the state then that would be a reason to go out of state.

If you really really want to practice in a certain place, going to school there could probably help a lot.

1. Somebody else is paying your tuition;

2. there is no 2.

Reactions: 12 users
I'm highly considering it. I probably wouldn't attend an OOS school that would give me 400k in debt. However, I would attend one (if I get in) that is more expensive than my ridiculously cheap IS school. I know I wouldn't be as happy living in my home state as I could be elsewhere. I know that sounds super lame but if I'm unhappy from the start during the most rigorous schooling time I'll ever have, I probably won't do too well...
Others can disagree with this/try to dissuade me, but if you knew where I was coming from, you'd probably understand.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm highly considering it. I probably wouldn't attend an OOS school that would give me 400k in debt. However, I would attend one (if I get in) that is more expensive than my ridiculously cheap IS school. I know I wouldn't be as happy living in my home state as I could be elsewhere. I know that sounds super lame but if I'm unhappy from the start during the most rigorous schooling time I'll ever have, I probably won't do too well...
Others can disagree with this/try to dissuade me, but if you knew where I was coming from, you'd probably understand.
I understand where you're coming from. Due to family problems I wanted to get as far away from my home state as possible because i thought i wouldn't be happy here. Then saw the OOS costs:eek:. I then decided I would be happier in the future if I had 150k+ less debt lol. But to each his own. I hope you get into the dental school of your choice!:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I grew up in my state and I'm kind of tired of it. Going OOS gives me a chance to go somewhere else and start over. Four years is a LONG time to be somewhere you don't like.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand where you're coming from. Due to family problems I wanted to get as far away from my home state as possible because i thought i wouldn't be happy here. Then saw the OOS costs:eek:. I then decided I would be happier in the future if I had 150k+ less debt lol. But to each his own. I hope you get into the dental school of your choice!:thumbup:
That's fair. I see you're from Texas which means at least, in theory, you can still choose a school/city. I'm also fortunate enough to have no undergrad debt and some money saved up so that helps me some. Hope you get into your choice, too :happy:

Hey, it's your debt and financial security not mine

Hey, it's your debt and financial security not mine

This. This. So much this. It is my life, if I want to go to the more expensive school that is my deal, not anyone else's here. Stay in your own lane.

That being said going into any +100k debt without a plan is just idiotic, the more idiotic with the more debt. HPSP, NHSC, rich parents, other scholarships, joining a parent/friends practice with a high starting level, finding a sugar daddy, working overtime for a few years, doing some accounting magic over 30 years, etc etc are all 'plans' for dealing with potential debt.

IF your plan is 'go straight into work as an associate after graduation and make monthly payments for 10 years and then be debt free' then yeah, a private/OOS school probably isn't the best move for you if you have a cheaper option. This isn't a bad plan at all, definitely the easiest and most direct one.

But guess what, I have a plan. I actually have one plan already happening right now and two other plans that may or may not come to fruition over the next year or two. Then I have a few extra plans in my back pocket in case those fall through. A lot of you will think I am stupid for turning down my instate schools (if I am fortunate enough to get the chance) and who knows, maybe in 15 years I will look back and be like "dang I should have listened to SDN my life SUCKS right now". But I know myself and I know that an extra 90k isn't going to be the end of the world.

TL;DR If I want to spend an extra 100k to go to a school I actually want to go to, it's my deal, get off my ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you only apply to your state school?
Yep. But I also was accepted into a deferred admit program last year through it which required me to maintain a certain GPA and get certain DAT score, which I did.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Yep. But I also was accepted into a deferred admit program last year through it which required me to maintain a certain GPA and get certain DAT score, which I did.

Haha well ****. I had this whole rant for you if you had said no. But that took some balls, so congrats on your acceptance and good luck :)

Haha well ****. I had this whole rant for you if you had said no. But that took some balls, so congrats on your acceptance and good luck :)
Hahaha well thank you. I was pretty lucky to have that opportunity through my in-state. It's not 100% official until Dec. 1st, though! Hopefully this week goes fast!

Reactions: 1 users
This. This. So much this. It is my life, if I want to go to the more expensive school that is my deal, not anyone else's here. Stay in your own lane.

That being said going into any +100k debt without a plan is just idiotic, the more idiotic with the more debt. HPSP, NHSC, rich parents, other scholarships, joining a parent/friends practice with a high starting level, finding a sugar daddy, working overtime for a few years, doing some accounting magic over 30 years, etc etc are all 'plans' for dealing with potential debt.

IF your plan is 'go straight into work as an associate after graduation and make monthly payments for 10 years and then be debt free' then yeah, a private/OOS school probably isn't the best move for you if you have a cheaper option. This isn't a bad plan at all, definitely the easiest and most direct one.

But guess what, I have a plan. I actually have one plan already happening right now and two other plans that may or may not come to fruition over the next year or two. Then I have a few extra plans in my back pocket in case those fall through. A lot of you will think I am stupid for turning down my instate schools (if I am fortunate enough to get the chance) and who knows, maybe in 15 years I will look back and be like "dang I should have listened to SDN my life SUCKS right now". But I know myself and I know that an extra 90k isn't going to be the end of the world.

TL;DR If I want to spend an extra 100k to go to a school I actually want to go to, it's my deal, get off my ass.
You have 4 or 5 plans? Can I have some pls

Reactions: 6 users
You have 4 or 5 plans? Can I have some pls

Oh I am sure you have a few up your sleeve already ;-D

To quote my hero, "Well I'm sure I don't know, darling. Luck favors the prepared."

Last edited:
the only reason i would even THINK about going to a school OOS is for location.
that and if you didn't get into your state school.

If you get into Harvard?

Otherwise, no good reason.

Why did you like columbia more than harvard?

Feel free to PM me and I can give you my lowdown on those, but I don't wanna derail the discussion any more than I already have ;-D

Edit: Wow, was not expecting that many people to message me. After my all day SDN binge today (sorry about that, I was literally on my computer watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix, break is awesome!) I don't think I will be on much for a few days. Thanksgiving and stuff. I will come up with a nice, thought out response but for the most part it is just a gut reaction and the fact I got a distinct Hogwarts vibe at both of them (well all three if you include Penn)

My personal take on it (and I have given this A LOT of thought), if Ivy League dental schools were Hogwarts houses:
Columbia would be Gryffindor
Harvard would be Ravenclaw
Penn would be Slytherin

Last edited:
Well my state school is not really cheaper than oos schools.

Feel free to PM me and I can give you my lowdown on those, but I don't wanna derail the discussion any more than I already have ;-D

Edit: Wow, was not expecting that many people to message me. After my all day SDN binge today (sorry about that, I was literally on my computer watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix, break is awesome!) I don't think I will be on much for a few days. Thanksgiving and stuff. I will come up with a nice, thought out response but for the most part it is just a gut reaction and the fact I got a distinct Hogwarts vibe at both of them (well all three if you include Penn)

My personal take on it (and I have given this A LOT of thought), if Ivy League dental schools were Hogwarts houses:
Columbia would be Gryffindor
Harvard would be Ravenclaw
Penn would be Slytherin
Ahahaha oh man, I love this. I'm a Ravenclaw according to Pottermore (and numerous other sorting quizzes)... Maybe I should've applied to Harvard?

jk

My wife had a job contract in California so I didn't go to UConn.

Do you guys think UCSF is worth going to over my state school? (UW)

unless you can somehow manage to claim instate tuition and your overall 4 year experience will be cheaper than your IS school.

Do you guys think UCSF is worth going to over my state school? (UW)
Maybe. Depends what your focus is. UCSF is amazing for research. Pass/fail curriculum. Tuition isn't crazy high but living in SF is. Great for specializing but still a good clinical curriculum. UW and UCSF are both quality schools.