Reasons for Choosing Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you chose anesthesia because of the lack of continuity of care? You care for the patient for a defined period of time and then hopefully send them home intact. Plus the amazing physiology appeals to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many of you chose anesthesia because of the lack of continuity of care? You care for the patient for a defined period of time and then hopefully send them home intact. Plus the amazing physiology appeals to me.

I really hated clinic. Surgery is mostly clinic. I didn't like radiology or pathology. Everything else is all or mostly clinic.

Reactions: 1 user
I chose anesthesia to be an interventional acute care physiologist.

Reactions: 4 users
Anesthesia was the most fun I had in the hospital

I chose anesthesiology because it was the field of medicine I hated the least.

Reactions: 3 users
-No clinic
-Get scheduled breaks
-Dont have to scrub in for everything
-Every hospital in the country is a potential employer
-Its so easy a nurse can do it

Reactions: 1 users
Get to be with chill people who aren't full of themselves (generally speaking), and in a specialty with pretty good camaraderie overall. Helping relieve one another, cover for one another, etc.

Intellectually challenging. Especially if you love cardiopulmonary, renal, critical care, etc. As much or as little research as you like.

Relatively shorter residency than many specialties. Fellowships also comparatively easier to obtain than say GI or cards from IM.

Mobile specialty, where you could get up and move clear across the country for a new job if you like.

Also flexible job. It's easier to take time off than in patient facing specialties.Work hard, play hard.

Easier to go on medical missions, etc. than many other specialties.

When you're off, you're off.

Lots of different practice environments to choose.

Limited overhead.

No need to build a referral base and business per se but can start earning money right away.

Diverse pathology.

Get to wear PJs and sneakers to work.

No clinics. Or very limited.

No rounding.

No long progress notes, discharges, etc. with social work.

No dealing with families or not a whole lot.

No long term management of patients.

Ideally care for and focus on one patient at a time.

Usually no rectal or other less than palatable physical exams.

Cool technology.

Procedures.

Acute care. Don't have to wait days to see if a treatment works.

DIY. Ideally don't need other people to carry out orders for you.

Usually deal with relatively "clean" or sterile patients. Not an undifferentiated patient with who knows what walking through the door.

The OR can often have a certain busy quietness about it, seemingly separate from the busy noise of the rest of the hospital, which can be nice depending on one's temperament or personality.

Also, though it exists, there's not as much BS politics as in the rest of the hospital.

Enjoy the team centered approach to help the patient in the OR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
MYTH:Get to be with chill people who aren't full of themselves (generally speaking), and in a specialty with pretty good camaraderie overall. Helping relieve one another, cover for one another, etc. Anesthesiologists are the most passive aggressive bunch Ive ever met.

MYTH:Intellectually challenging. Especially if you love cardiopulmonary, renal, critical care, etc. As much or as little research as you like. You can say pent/sux/tube for every case and chances are YOU ARE RIGHT!

MYTHRelatively shorter residency than many specialties. Fellowships also comparatively easier to obtain than say GI or cards from IM. FOUR YEARS plus fellowship is five years. Thats pretty long training.

Mobile specialty, where you could get up and move clear across the country for a new job if you like. This is true. But it also hurts you because you can also be replaced very easily. Ask every doc who got their job taken away from them because they were so mobile.

Also flexible job. It's easier to take time off than in patient facing specialties.Work hard, play hard. This is true. It is flexible. BUt there are other specialties more flexible.

Easier to go on medical missions, etc. than many other specialties.So what

When you're off, you're off. True with many specialties

Lots of different practice environments to choose. Not really. It is Operating room or nothing. Sure there are different modesl to choose from supervising. medical direction etc etc but you are going to HAVE to go to the OR. Period. Unless you do pain or ICU.

Limited overhead. TRue

No need to build a referral base and business per se but can start earning money right away. huh?

Diverse pathology. OK.

Get to wear PJs and sneakers to work. ummm, OK

No clinics. Or very limited. Preop clinic

No rounding. Post op rounds busy work

No long progress notes, discharges, etc. with social work. Anesthesia record every five minutes for hours a a time. Pre anesthesia assessment with a million boxes

No dealing with families or not a whole lot. Who is going to tell the family that you couldnt get the tube in and little johnny lost some neurons.

No long term management of patients. True

Ideally care for and focus on one patient at a time. Not if you are medically directing four "chip on their shoulder" CRNAS. Thats potentially 16 patients per day.

Usually no rectal or other less than palatable physical exams. True. Lots of specialties dont do rectals. Ophtho, Derm, etc

Cool technology. Iphone 6 plus is cool technology. Bis monitor is not.

Procedures. Very basic easy to master procedures. Intubation..EMTs with high school diplomas can master this. A lines. big whoop.

Acute care. Don't have to wait days to see if a treatment works. True

DIY. Ideally don't need other people to carry out orders for you. True

Usually deal with relatively "clean" or sterile patients. Not an undifferentiated patient with who knows what walking through the door.

The OR can often have a certain busy quietness about it, seemingly separate from the busy noise of the rest of the hospital, which can be nice depending on one's temperament or personality.

Also, though it exists, there's not as much BS politics as in the rest of the hospital.

Enjoy the team centered approach to help the patient in the OR. Which kool aid have you been drinking.. geez..

If you are considering anesthesiology, I recommend you close your computer and go speak to residents and attendings in-person at your hospital. I am so happy I picked this field, but I can't lie the anti-anesthesiology rhetoric on this board filled me with a lot of doubt at some really inconvenient times. Luckily I identified anesthesiology early, and had enough time to realize that if I just stepped away from the computer screen and paid more attention to how I felt going to the hospital and doing anesthesia on my electives, my indecision about the field disappeared.

Anesthesiology: everything I like, nothing I don't

Reactions: 2 users
No doubt there are trade-offs to many of these, and no doubt there are negatives. In fact, I posted about several of these in a different thread called "I don't understand all the whining?". People can check it out if they're interested. However, this specific thread is titled "Reasons for Choosing Anesthesia" so that's what I gave. Anyway haters gonna hate.

But in response to your points:
MYTH:Get to be with chill people who aren't full of themselves (generally speaking), and in a specialty with pretty good camaraderie overall. Helping relieve one another, cover for one another, etc.Anesthesiologists are the most passive aggressive bunch Ive ever met.
Your experience vs. my experience. But given the tone of your reply to me, maybe you're right in this case.
MYTH:Intellectually challenging. Especially if you love cardiopulmonary, renal, critical care, etc. As much or as little research as you like. You can say pent/sux/tube for every case and chances are YOU ARE RIGHT!
Um, ok.
MYTHRelatively shorter residency than many specialties. Fellowships also comparatively easier to obtain than say GI or cards from IM. FOUR YEARS plus fellowship is five years. Thats pretty long training.
I did say "residency." Residency is four years. Four years isn't bad compared to many other specialties. That's also what I said.

I only added fellowship at the end but not everyone does fellowship. Of course, we could say it'd be a good idea to do a fellowship given the climate of anesthesiology today, but that's besides the specific point of this thread. Currently, you can still get a job if you're not fellowship trained. A bit harder to get a job as a cardiologist if you're not fellowship trained.
Mobile specialty, where you could get up and move clear across the country for a new job if you like. This is true. But it also hurts you because you can also be replaced very easily. Ask every doc who got their job taken away from them because they were so mobile.
Yes, this is a trade-off. But having patients also involves trade-offs. You could argue the trade-offs of having patients are better than the trade-offs of not having patients, but some of it is bound to be subjective and dependent on the particular person's goals in life, personality, and so on.
Also flexible job. It's easier to take time off than in patient facing specialties.Work hard, play hard. This is true. It is flexible. BUt there are other specialties more flexible.
I never claimed otherwise.
Easier to go on medical missions, etc. than many other specialties.So what
For those interested, this is a "reason to choose anesthesia" i.e. the point of this thread.
When you're off, you're off. True with many specialties
Lots of different practice environments to choose. Not really. It is Operating room or nothing. Sure there are different modesl to choose from supervising. medical direction etc etc but you are going to HAVE to go to the OR. Period. Unless you do pain or ICU.
True with many specialties. Some must be in clinic. Some must round. Etc.
No need to build a referral base and business per se but can start earning money right away. huh?
You don't have to try to get patients, to cater to patients, to please patients, to build a referral base from which to get patients from other physicians, to attend conferences or meetings when you're not officially "working" in order to meet and greet in the hopes of building a referral base, etc. Rather, patients in a sense "come to you." (Trade-off: surgeons are your clients.)
No clinics. Or very limited. Preop clinic
Hence I said "very limited" - i.e. preop clinics isn't the mainstay of the job.
No rounding. Post op rounds busy work
Postop rounds are hardly the same as what most think of when they think of rounding (e.g. IM rounding or even surgical rounding).
No long progress notes, discharges, etc. with social work. Anesthesia record every five minutes for hours a a time. Pre anesthesia assessment with a million boxes
Still not the same as what I said. I'd rather do pre-anesthesia assessments than write long progress notes, social work, etc.
No dealing with families or not a whole lot. Who is going to tell the family that you couldnt get the tube in and little johnny lost some neurons.
If you mess up in any specialty, it's possible you'll have to do some explaining to families. But yes, to forestall the inevitable negative reply, in anesthesiology things can go wrong and go wrong quickly and do critical harm, unlike other specialties. If you're well trained, however, you shouldn't mess up on a regular basis!
Ideally care for and focus on one patient at a time. Not if you are medically directing four "chip on their shoulder" CRNAS. Thats potentially 16 patients per day.
True, and one of the big negatives of the specialty. But again that's why I said "ideally." Although many groups involve ACTs, not all groups involve ACTs. (Of course, we could always argue the future looks like it'll be mainly ACTs, but that's again beyond the scope of the specific point of this thread.)
Usually no rectal or other less than palatable physical exams. True. Lots of specialties dont do rectals. Ophtho, Derm, etc
Cool technology. Iphone 6 plus is cool technology. Bis monitor is not.
Your subjective opinion vs. mine.
Procedures. Very basic easy to master procedures. Intubation..EMTs with high school diplomas can master this. A lines. big whoop.
Still fun for me. But yes, you could reply it gets old. But (oddly enough) not doing procedures also can get old. Sometimes you just like working with your hands, even if it's easy now that you've done it a thousand times. Again, your subjective opinion vs. mine.
Enjoy the team centered approach to help the patient in the OR. Which kool aid have you been drinking.. geez..
This is true if you're in a practice environment with surgeons who respect anesthesiologists and anesthesiologists who respect surgeons, with helpful nurses, reasonable hospital admins, etc. But it's obviously not true if you're in a bad one. Maybe things will get worse in the future, maybe they'll get better. Who knows. But again I'm focusing on the positives in this thread.

Last edited:
Sorry to piggyback off you @bashwell, but you nailed basically every reason I chose anesthesia.

Get to be with chill people who aren't full of themselves (generally speaking), and in a specialty with pretty good camaraderie overall. Helping relieve one another, cover for one another, etc.
Although a large portion of the job is spent independently, I do appreciate the camaraderie and teamwork that comes with tackling a tough case. I think there's a few bad eggs in every specialty, but just don't let those eggs unfairly color your perception of the field (bad Easter pun :laugh:).

Intellectually challenging. Especially if you love cardiopulmonary, renal, critical care, etc. As much or as little research as you like.
I think Hawaiian Bruin sums it up best.
I chose anesthesia to be an interventional acute care physiologist.

Mobile specialty, where you could get up and move clear across the country for a new job if you like. Also flexible job. It's easier to take time off than in patient facing specialties.Work hard, play hard.
While I don't plan on moving anytime soon, you never know what life is going to bring you, so the time and geographical flexibility is huge for me.

Easier to go on medical missions, etc. than many other specialties.
This is something very important to me and was probably my main hesitancy about going into the field. However, after interviewing at different programs and talking with attendings in the field I discovered that this is totally doable.

When you're off, you're off.
Can't be said about many fields, and the classic example, EM, was a nonstarter for me.

Lots of different practice environments to choose.
I like the ability to potentially modify my practice environment as I get older (ie. moving towards doing more outpt surgeries in my later years).

Get to wear PJs and sneakers to work.
What's to not like about wearing pajamas to work everyday that someone else washes?

No clinics. No rounding.
Truth.

No long progress notes, discharges, etc. with social work.
Dispo planning and discharge summaries are the bane of my existence.

Ideally care for and focus on one patient at a time.
I'm the kind of person who likes to know everything about one person and how it will affect their medical management rather than tidbits about two dozen people (ie. the antithesis of EM/IM).

Procedures.
I like working with my hands, but realized in medical school that I don't have the personality to be a surgeon. It might sound weird, but it doesn't matter how many times I place an IV/aline/whatever, there's just something intrinsically satisfying about the process.

The OR is like a separate world within a world. I like working in a hospital environment, but when I'm in the OR there's a beautiful serenity amidst the hustle and bustle of the greater hospital atmosphere.

The fact that so many of my coresidents chose anesthesia for the same reasons I chose it, just reaffirms that I made the right choice for me. Speaking with my colleagues in other specialties, it seems like the happiest residents all have similar reasons for selecting their particular specialty. So my advice is just ask around and see what specialty has people with personalities most similar to your own.

As I'm about to apply for an elective at the end of M3, this thread is extremely comforting (minus a few negative posters). Im sorry but anyone who uses the iPhone 6 plus as a reference for "cool technology" doesn't know **** about technology. While I may not be an attending/fellow/resident, I do know cell phones and computers extremely well. I'm not hating on the iPhone 6 or trying to make this an android vs apple debate but no, just no, the iPhone 6 is many good things..... "cool technology" is not one of them